New User

maknoll

Been doing a lot of reading and have decided on the Elk to get me going. I need help with my shopping list, though. It's hard for me to understand the function of some of the add-ons.

I want to get the controller installed so I can start wiring for some security to begin with. I have a two-story home w/access to the first floor from the basement and the second floor from the attic.

So, after the controller and a keypad (will probably ultimately be three), what else? Do many of you use the arming station for little-used entrances? Do you get a speaker (or 6 or 8) if someday announcements will be over the whole-house audio?

So many questions......In addition to the sensors, I plan on having several motion detectors throughout the house. Do I get some sort of expansion board to route all the top floor wires to? Can you then run a single wire to the control (in the basement)? Do you do the same for each floor?

What about the case....you think I should dump the Elk case and get something larger? I'm thinking much much larger. Looking at Automated Outlet pricing, however, it seems the package deals are the way to go. I get the case and a speaker. Where do you put that speaker anyway?

I apologize for the massive display of ignorance. There are probably other questions that I've already forgotten about. I doubt I'll have a handle on this until I can actually start using/playing with the unit. Instructions would also be nice.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Regards,
Mark

Hmmm. Nobody answered. Everybody must be off at CES.

First off, welcome to the board. If you haven't had a chance to, take a pass through the "how-to" section and glossary, as there are several articles that will help you with your plans

I'll caviat my answer with the fact that my Elk was only bench tested. I'd love to yank out my HAI and install the Elk, but there are a lot of other things on the shopping list that are more important at the moment.

So, after the controller and a keypad (will probably ultimately be three), what else? Do many of you use the arming station for little-used entrances? Do you get a speaker (or 6 or 8) if someday announcements will be over the whole-house audio?

If you are retrofitting, go ahead and take it piece by piece. No reason to try everything at once. I personally would use some arming stations at doors that don't need a full keypad.

Do I get some sort of expansion board to route all the top floor wires to? Can you then run a single wire to the control (in the basement)? Do you do the same for each floor?

Yes to both. You can homerun everything, but it's a bit of a PITA.

should dump the Elk case and get something larger?

Cases are like hard drives - they are never big enough. :D However, I'm not up on the alternative cases, so I'll pass on that question.

Thanks so much for your response. I thought the expansion boards seemed the way to go.

Piece-by-piece is the way to go, like you say -- I don't have an unlimited budget. Once I get past the essentials, I consider this to be more of a long-term..............hobby I guess you would say. The possibilities seem endless!

My concern was getting a solid start and hence my question-filled post........I really hate do-overs.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Now to pick a technology for powerline communications...........:D

Mark

Without knowing exactly what you are trying to do its hard to give real guidance but the M1 is a good central hub because of its flexibility and support of many other products. Because of its flexibility it can be wired many different ways, etc. If you can come up with a master plan maybe we can answer more specific questions. Draw out your master dream plan, then just divide it into pieces like need now, stage 2, stage 3, etc. Knowing you ultimate goal (even tho we know that changes) may dictate certain wiring practices to use, etc.

Also almost any question you have on the Elk has probably been answered already, so do lots of searching and reading, then ask away...

Back