Newbie installing his first ELK M1 Gold

All,

Would appreciate some support.  It is my first time working with the ELK M1 Gold, and am having the following issue I could really use your help on.

I own:

3 keypads (two M1KP2s and one M1KP).  They have been set up as 1, 2 and 3.
M1XSP
M1XEP
M1X1N
M1DBH

All of the keypads, SP and 1N are connected to the M1DBH via cat5e.  

The issue I am having is when I go to enroll, I am only able to get the two M1KP2s to enroll, the other items do not.  The 3rd keypad, address 3, says lost comm.  I have checked all of my wiring, and it appears to be good, so I am thinking I have some issues with the settings on the M1XSP, M1X1N and the M1DBH?  I have the jumper on JP3 on the main.  

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Scott

Best I can recommend is double check all your terminating jumpers.  Also, I'd have to look at a DBH but IIRC, the order the plugs go in didn't seem 100% natural, meaning 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 may not go in the order you'd expect - make sure they're in consecutive numbered jacks with the terminating jumper as the last plug; there should be no terminating jumpers on your other devices plugged into the DBH.

Single DBH and panel, one jumper installed on panel and as stated, terminating jumper at last plug and nothing on field devices.

Sounds like cabling issues.

Thanks.

Any suggestions on how to test the wiring?  Looks like I am going to be pulling this all apart again!

Also having issues connecting to my m1xep, but I think that has more to do with my junky laptop than anything else.  Have always had IP conflict issues with this thing.

Scott

Connect one keypad to the DBH and get it working. 
Then add additional devices one at a time debugging as needed.  
Double check the RJ45 plugs.

Biggest issue I had with my first DBH install, was that the RJ-45 connections need to use the 568A standard; I use 568B the majority of the time.

Learnt from reading and re-reading that I need 568A, and have done that for my 2 keypads and they work fine.

An update to my issue. Was looking at my wiring and noticed on my KP that one of the wires looked burnt. Well, looks like one of the caps on my KP burnt and actually melted a bit of the jacket of my wire. Have to contact Elk about that.

I have removed my 3rd KP, the burnt one, from the wiring, but still can't enroll my SP, my RFEG and my 1N. I have triple checked the wiring and can't find anything wrong.

Thoughts?

Thx.

Without sounding like a broken record...99% chance of wiring.

Here's where I dread using the DBH's You can't meter data pair to pair and check what is going on without building test jumpers to see where the bus "breaks". Try jumping the devices into different orders....do other devices fail or stop working? Have you addressed the other units on the bus?

Build a patch cable to plug into the DBH with the ability to pigtail your feeds in/out. Then cut off the RJ45's and then connect your in/out on the units directly at the panel. First going from the panel's data port and then cascading the data ("option B" in the manual) and try to enroll. Make sure there's a single terminating jumper at the panel JP3 and NONE at the field devices. If you can enroll all the devices at this point, then you have an issue with the RJ45's most likely, as the DBH is 100% passive.

Just so I know I am not messing up:

568A, white green, green, white orange, blue, blue white, orange, white brown, brown. And on the Elk side, 12v is brown, neg is white brown, A is orange and green, B is white orange and white green.

Thanks

scottgoodman said:
Just so I know I am not messing up:

568A, white green, green, white orange, blue, blue white, orange, white brown, brown. And on the Elk side, 12v is brown, neg is white brown, A is orange and green, B is white orange and white green.

Your wiring color code looks ok.

Have you tried sda's suggestion in post #5? Only connect the first keypad and no other devices, and see if it works.  If so, add the second keypad, see if it works.  Then the third, etc.  Keep adding one device at a time until things stop working.  Then, that last device you added, or the wiring to it, will be highly suspect.  Or maybe the RJ45 jack on the DBH could be the problem (seems unlikely, though).

If the wiring and device appear ok, you can then start backing things out.  Leave the last device you added, but remove the one before it.  If the last device suddenly starts working, then you might have some sort of configuration conflict between two devices.  Or again, perhaps a bad RJ45 jack on the DBH.

The key is to start with something that works, then change just one thing at a time.

Back