Next "Intro to HA" seminar, 6/23, 8:30am PST

IVB

Please join my meeting, Saturday, June 23 at 8:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time at
https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/942600320
Conference Call: Dial (402) 756-9110, access code 942-600-320
Meeting ID: 942-600-320

Reply here if you are interested in attending the "Intro to HA" session on 6/23 @8:30am PST. (no need to reply if you've already done so on the cqc forums)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the "Intro to HA using CQC & the Elk Automation Panel" course.

This online gotomeeting & teleconference is designed to be a 120 minute overview as to how to perform HA & HT using CQC and the Elk automation panel. It is targeted to the newbie who wants to know how to do HA. It is not recorded as it generally sucks to try and synch up the audio teleconference and the video, besides it creates a whopping big file.

There is a dialin phone # and listening is critical as that's where the information is disseminated.

Requested but not mandatory prep
1) Pre-read this powerpoint PDF, it's what I'll use during the first 20-30 mins of the session.
2) As many of the tutorial videos as you can stand. There's 24 of them now, ideally watch all 4 of the installation ones and the first 2 of the action, event, and graphical interface sections. That's 10 total.

Agenda
This online gotomeeting & teleconference is designed to be a 120 minute overview as to how to perform HA & HT using CQC and the Elk automation panel. It is targeted to the newbie who wants to know how to do HA.

There is a dialin phone # and listening is critical as that's where the information is disseminated. We're also setting up a PC connection capability so our overseas brethren can join us without the exhorbitant callin fees.

The draft agenda is as follows:

1) Overview of what I did, why I did it, and how it helped. 5mins
2) CQC Overview & Architecture 5min
2) How to physically hook devices up to an HTPC for control - 5mins
3) How to tell CQC you have devices connected, and use it to easily create and render a screen to control them in realtime - 45mins
4) How to setup ElkRP to monitor your devices 15mins
5) How to use CQC's event manager and the Elk together to perform the following: 15mins
5a) scheduled tasks (i.e., irrigation, turn off all devices at midnight)
5b) triggered tasks (i.e., turn off all devices when you ArmAway the Elk. turn on the light when you open the closet door)

That's 90 minutes of content. The remaining 30 minutes is intentionally unallocated as questions in various places take up the rest of the time.

See you there!

I'll post a link to the webinar in a few days. There's also a phone # to dial into which i'll also post. At 8:28am, press the link. It'll automatically download a webpage control to your PC for the viewing. Then call into the # provided.

Now that is an interesting idea. I have no issue recording, if I could just find a way to deal with synch'ing the audio&video in a painless fashion. But, I didn't bother with it as I was stuck on the CD-burning idea, as it was hundreds of megs. I never thought about DVD, even DVD-data file.

Let me attempt to record one of these and then burn a DVD from it. If that works, then I can send them out to folks as desired. IIRC, the DVDs are only $0.20/each, shipping via USPS is $0.50, and a mailable sleeve is only $1. The whole thing could be done for <$2.

Thanks for that thought.

It's value goes far beyond the cost of the materials. I was planning on joining this Saturday morning but I have to take my girlfriend to the airport. With a DVD I could watch it at my leisure.

I would add something in for your time IVB. Just the packing, mailing, paypal sorting, checking alone will take up a chunk! :lol:

I would add something in for your time IVB. Just the packing, mailing, paypal sorting, checking alone will take up a chunk! :lol:

Nah, for all I know the next guy to purchase CQC & an Elk will be the one who'll help me figure out one of my goals, such as VR or RFID. I'll just cover my costs, and tell folks that I only go to the USPS once per week, so they may have to wait up to 2 weeks max to get it.

Hi IVB, I remember you once told me that jumping into this field can be like sitting on the end of a Firehose" in the early days. I have since won my first $17K contract and just completed the M1 Traininng with David (Spanky) and the guys at ELK. After 7 years of "dabling" I never thought I'd be doing what I love AND getting paid for it. Looking forward to seeing you this Sat.

- Ed

Dang, your first contract and it's $17K? Congrats!

See you saturday. BTW, not sure if you know, but Dan has been good enough to give us a chatroom on the CT site. Just type in /join #cqc at the CT chat status window.

Looks like I'll be able to join! Wasn't sure if I would be free, so I waited until the last minute. :D

Back