NextAlarm ABN

Mike

Well I decided to try out NextAlarm and the ABN for my Elk.

I got it setup, it has an IP address, it seems to be registered (there is a note on the next alarm site, and if I put a handset into it, it says it is registered).

I do not get a phone fault with it connected to the elk, but it does not seem to be relaying things to NextAlarm.

I added two telephone numbers and set the Contact ID formats and account numbers (using primary and backup settings). I used a four conductor wire to go from the telephone inputs on the elk to the ABN (RJ11).

I'm going to open a ticket with them, but is there anything simple I may be missing on the elk side?

On the ELK side: Have you enabled the "Reporting Codes" under Communicator for the alarms and events that you want to report? To enable the report code, just program a value other than zero.

I think this was my fault. I was expecting to see changes for zone changes (open door/window when not in alarm) but I had not activated yet. I put the system in alarm, triggered it and it did show up. I also think I may need to put in codes for the restorals per your comment.

It's being activated and I will play more once that is done.

Thanks.

I think this was my fault. I was expecting to see changes for zone changes (open door/window when not in alarm) but I had not activated yet. I put the system in alarm, triggered it and it did show up. I also think I may need to put in codes for the restorals per your comment.

It's being activated and I will play more once that is done.

Thanks.

Mike,

Sounds like the ABN works fine with cablevision. I was waiting for Nextlarm to work directly with the Elk ethernet connection but it looks like that is a dead issue since its been almost a year.

I think I have waited long enough and I might get the ABN and give it a shot. Can you keep us posted how you like it? Also how did you make out with the smoke detectors? The information I gave you seems to be working fine in the field with our panels.

Actually I just switched to FIOS a few weeks ago. I too was hoping to go with the connection via the XEP, but am assuming it is dead until a release is announced.

I'll run some additional tests when my account is activated (it seems while it is activating I have limited view of the general options, that should be resolved tomorrow) and keep you posted.

In regards to the smoke detectors, it has unfortunately not progressed any further. I've been working too much and the testing for this involves triggering all the detectors which with a little one has made it a little harder. Mostly my schedule though. When I was putting in the ABN I realized that was still open. I'm going to have to send the rest of the family off and make some time to finish that up. It is probably just poor connections on my part. Thank you again for the ideas on that.

Actually I just switched to FIOS a few weeks ago. I too was hoping to go with the connection via the XEP, but am assuming it is dead until a release is announced.

I was doing the same....I asked Dan back in the Feb/Mar timeframe if I should go ahead and get the ABN, or if I could wait for the Elk direct interface, and he said I should wait. I did not know he meant wait eight months (or more).

I guess I will go ahead and get the ABN, but I wish he would at least come by and give us an update, but I think he has disappeared (his profile said he was later here on May 3rd).

Are there any similar companies to NextAlarm?

I was doing the same....I asked Dan back in the Feb/Mar timeframe if I should go ahead and get the ABN, or if I could wait for the Elk direct interface, and he said I should wait. I did not know he meant wait eight months (or more).

I guess I will go ahead and get the ABN, but I wish he would at least come by and give us an update, but I think he has disappeared (his profile said he was later here on May 3rd).

Are there any similar companies to NextAlarm?

I tried calling and asking for him months back but since I did not have a last name they had no clue who I was talking about. Maybe he no longer works there?

I just hate adding another $100 for an ABN and its another thing that needs backup power to an already crowded system. I dont have room to add anymore "cans" where the panel is (two 28 inch and one 14 inch) and I would need another UPS or at least more batteries and another 12 Vdc PS (I have tons of power supplies of all sizes but batteries are no longer cheap). I also have two remote 14 inch cans that are packed and I am adding battery backup to them as well and taking them off the PS in my main cans. My system has grown extensively the past 2 years or so but maintenance will be costly for the batteries in the future.

I'll run some additional tests when my account is activated (it seems while it is activating I have limited view of the general options, that should be resolved tomorrow) and keep you posted.

In regards to the smoke detectors, it has unfortunately not progressed any further. I've been working too much and the testing for this involves triggering all the detectors which with a little one has made it a little harder. Mostly my schedule though. When I was putting in the ABN I realized that was still open. I'm going to have to send the rest of the family off and make some time to finish that up. It is probably just poor connections on my part. Thank you again for the ideas on that.

FIOS???? Traitor.......LOL JUST KIDDING!!!

If you still have an issue with the smoke let me know. I did a lot of testing months ago (and forgot everything by now) but I had it working fine on several brands of panels (Napco, Ademco, DSC etc). I do not have an ELK at work since we are not competitors (they are above us in the food chain). Its funny that I can have any panel I want from work for free (not stealing them but as "beta evaluator") but I would never give up my ELK.

I tried calling and asking for him months back but since I did not have a last name they had no clue who I was talking about. Maybe he no longer works there?
If you have time, try calling NextAlarm again. According to his signature, his name is Dan Elliott. Assuming they only have one Dan Elliott, that would make him the COO of a family run business. I am also very eager to get my M1 monitored via internet.

https://nextalarm.com/managementTeam.jsp

If you have time, try calling NextAlarm again. According to his signature, his name is Dan Elliott. Assuming they only have one Dan Elliott, that would make him the COO of a family run business. I am also very eager to get my M1 monitored via internet.

https://nextalarm.com/managementTeam.jsp

LOL thats probably why. They must screen the calls from individuals going to top management. I will try and call and identify myself with business information so I can get through. I would hope they listen to an alarm company with over $85 million in annual sales :D The again maybe we are small potato's compared to them.

I was just about to sign up. Maybe I will wait and call and see if they have any information.

Thanks for the info. I never thought of looking for that.

Are you kidding? I can't wait for FIOS. I'm signing up the day it's available to me. Then I can get rid of crappy Cablevision. Which I'm only using for TV, but that's enough.

Are you kidding? I can't wait for FIOS. I'm signing up the day it's available to me. Then I can get rid of crappy Cablevision. Which I'm only using for TV, but that's enough.

I said I was kidding!!!!! I know a few people that are trying it and so far so good. But........... it is not as fast as Cablevision Broadband access since they are only dropping a single fiber to the house. If they were to drop more than one strand they woud be faster.

Depends on what you need it for. We sometimes have 3 or 4 computers on the net besides a few other things at the same time.

I said I was kidding!!!!! I know a few people that are trying it and so far so good. But........... it is not as fast as Cablevision Broadband access since they are only dropping a single fiber to the house. If they were to drop more than one strand they woud be faster.

Depends on what you need it for. We sometimes have 3 or 4 computers on the net besides a few other things at the same time.

It is faster than my Cable access was. Confirmed 20mbps down and 5mbps (using speed tests). I see downloads at rates I never saw with Cablevision. Picture quality is noticeably better. When I called to cancel I could have saved some money and stayed with them (and gotten a $96/month rate for 2 years) but I wanted to try it. They also (I am pretty sure) don't block port 80 or other server ports if I want to do that.

So far I am happy.

Isn't it all about the pipe?

DSL(copper) < Cable(cable) < Fios(fiber)

Gotta love competition. Plus cable has some complicated billing scheme that seems to (at least in my case) randomly change every few months requiring 10+ minute hold time to speak to someone (had to call 4+ times, always more than 10 minutes). Amusingly enough when I hit the numbers to cancel I had someone speaking to me in less than 3 seconds.

It is faster than my Cable access was. Confirmed 20mbps down and 5mbps (using speed tests). I see downloads at rates I never saw with Cablevision. Picture quality is noticeably better. When I called to cancel I could have saved some money and stayed with them (and gotten a $96/month rate for 2 years) but I wanted to try it. They also (I am pretty sure) don't block port 80 or other server ports if I want to do that.

So far I am happy.

Isn't it all about the pipe?

DSL(copper) < Cable(cable) < Fios(fiber)

Gotta love competition. Plus cable has some complicated billing scheme that seems to (at least in my case) randomly change every few months requiring 10+ minute hold time to speak to someone (had to call 4+ times, always more than 10 minutes). Amusingly enough when I hit the numbers to cancel I had someone speaking to me in less than 3 seconds.

Interesting results!!! That goes against what I was told by someone who has it but maybe there are different levels of access??? My father in law pays about $15 or $20 a month for the FIOS Internet only he said. And they gave him a free router with a 12 month agreement.

I think I might jump ship to if I can get the wife to agree. My bill for cable tv, telephone, and internet is almost $200 a month. If she wont let me (she loves News 12 etc) maybe I can at least renegotiate my bill down to a reasonable level. Maybe $120 tops.

Back