Nextalarm going bye bye

Note my configuration is using the OmniPro 2 panel.  

1 - transport will not be changing
2 - configure new dial out number
3 - put the new account in test mode
4 - test the panel / dial out.

Here went to using primary Ooma line from the old copper line a couple of years back. 

I also switched to a monthly from a yearly account last year when I noticed that I could never speak to anyone at Next Alarm and had to do my requests via email.  This was relating to testing.  So I was already on my way out to switching providers. Relating to the central station monitoring from Next Alarm didn't have any issues.  I  just procrastinated on the switch.  

I DIY'd a back up cellular connection (still 3G) which is the back up of the back up for the phone stuff here.

Personally here it will probably just be changing the dial out number to the Alarm Relay central monitoring number and using their messaging options which would make it the same as the Next Alarm configuration.

Rest of the stuff will remain the same.  The telco stuff / transport / VOIP / Modem / switches / firewall are all on UPS here.

I would call alarm relay relating to transport options. 

Here got an an unlimited SIM from T-Mobile for $20 / month a few years back.  This is used for the back up telephone (alarm transport) and Internet and only tested to work.

The problem is setting up all your zones again.  Thats a pain - especially if you have a lot like I do :(

I emailed the alarm relay people - well filled out their weird order now form. So we will see if I get any response back.  So far (hours later) nothing.

heffneil said:
Next Alarm's customer service and response times kinda sucked.

I want to switch to Alarm Relay but what a pain in the keister.  I have to set that all up again.  Do they have retail monitoring?  I didn't really see it on their site all the well?

Neil
Just looked at their site as I hadn't looked at it in years.  Their FAQ page has lots of info on what they can monitor, etc.  I suggest you give them a call if you don't find what you are looking for on their site.  They have always been very helpful but I must admit I haven't had to deal with them in quite a while so things may have changed. 

https://alarmrelay.com/resources/frequently-asked-questions/

I recently had a coworker switch over his system when his local monitoring company went out of business.  It was new to him but he is generally pretty savvy.  Happened to have the password from the original installer (lucky as he just had a company do it!)  no issues.
Thought I had given him my account number but he said he just told them my name when signing up and they looked it up and we got checks a few months later.

I don't mind reprogramming the panel.  Its the website where I have to manually enter the zone names, the zone addresses and the types....

Probably would take an hour or so.  I guess I have no where to go anyhow. Hope they reply to my request via email.

Forgot about programming the zones / labels stuff. 

Over the years Next Alarm's web gui got a tad better.  They did lock it down some where I had to open a service ticket and window of time to adjust my zones.

I have no clue how Alarm relay does it. 

I guess will just login to my Next Alarm account in one window and the new account GUI in another window.  The logic hopefully will be similiar.

heffneil said:
I don't mind reprogramming the panel.  Its the website where I have to manually enter the zone names, the zone addresses and the types....

Probably would take an hour or so.  I guess I have no where to go anyhow. Hope they reply to my request via email.
Guess that has changed.  It's been about 15 years since I set mine up.  As I recall I filled out a sheet and faxed (gasp!) it to them because I didn't want to send them it in an unsecure email.  As I recall it also had our secret word too.  Sounds like they put all that on a secure site.  

So I got a response from AlarmRelay.  Sounds like they don't offer supervised openings and closings.  I really trusted them in that I knew my alarm system was successfully connecting to the central stations at least two times a day.  To do that with AlarmRelay I need to buy some device - and then pay a higher rate to monitor.   Not sure why this is or why I care.  Anyone else know of any other central station monitoring companies?

Thanks,

Neil

heffneil said:
So I got a response from AlarmRelay.  Sounds like they don't offer supervised openings and closings.  I really trusted them in that I knew my alarm system was successfully connecting to the central stations at least two times a day.  To do that with AlarmRelay I need to buy some device - and then pay a higher rate to monitor.   Not sure why this is or why I care.  Anyone else know of any other central station monitoring companies?

Thanks,

Neil
When you use an adapter that Next Alarm provides, it creates a constant data connection between them and you.  Just make sure you connect the adapter monitoring connections to a spare zone of your alarm, and report somehow should you get that signal. I have it display a message on the panels and send an email.  If the cell tower goes down, for example, you'll know it instantly.  I've had maybe a 40 minute outage over 3 year, at about 3am in the morning. I assume the wireless carrier was doing a repair or maintenance.  

If you ever lose a connection, not a whole lot you can do about it anyway, except maybe call the wireless carrier, and I wish you luck with that one.

AlarmRelay can, at least a year ago, monitor opening and closings but they do charge extra for that. I had that turned on, and maybe 9 months after I started subscribing they called me to tell me to turn it off. Or pay up.  I don't really see the need, since the connection is monitored continuously anyway. 

I got an email from IPAlarm.Com, they must have bought customer lists from NextAlarm. Anyone ever hear of them?

IVB said:
I got an email from IPAlarm.Com, they must have bought customer lists from NextAlarm. Anyone ever hear of them?
I've never heard of them, but it appears they have spared no expense on their web site.

ano said:
I've never heard of them, but it appears they have spared no expense on their web site.
Ya - not using them.  Thats jumping out of the pan in to the fire there....

Alarm Relay is the only option anyone has recommended here.  Should I post on the security forums?  There has to be other companies?

Read my post about looking at different alarm companies.  I tested one and had really bad luck with them. 

If this company is based in the state of Washington...check them out really well.  

Jim,
    I am leaning towards going with AlarmRelay.  Will use you as a Reference.  I am not able to PM  you as I am a new person in this forum.  My email address is aroul2 and I use gmail.  If you can share your experience on how to switch to Alarm Relay's cellular option, it would be helpful to me.

Thanks
 Aroul Ramadoss
JimS said:
 have been with AlarmRelay for years and am happy with them.  Had a door sensor tripped when I left a door unlocked and someone tripped the alarm inadvertently.  They were able to give me exactly what zones were tripped and no interior zones. The have a deal for a discount for the new user and a credit for the existing customer so you might want to get a referral from an existing customer.  Not meant to be an advertisement for them as I am just a satisfied customer.  But I would be happy to have others use me as a reference if you want to PM me.  :)

I just talked to AlarmRelay.  They said with HAI/Omnipro, customers or central support cannot do remote arm or disarm.  With HaiKU gone, I will have to use SnapLink....which I haven't had success so far using remotely.  

How do existing HAI customers using AlarmRelay monitoring remotely arm/disarm their security system?

Thanks in advance...
Aroul

Back