Nextalarm going bye bye

Pete - I got a  letter as you did.
In reading the first paragraph, they specify "Internet" service. Does this also affect POTS? 
Its not clear that they are shutting down all services.

Still have greater than 30 days before this happens - 

Thanks for any / all thoughts.

pete_c said:
Thank you for the heads up Neil.

I did not get an email.  Here have been a customer of theirs over 20 years now.

Wait have you tried Myro Home?  Its a subscription but its great! It looks just like Haiku and the guy who wrote it is great.  The product is great! I subscribe on two phones to help support it.  The one time buy just doesn't support the development of the product and it was a bad model for Haiku.  Now that guy is gone and you can't reach him.  My only reason for keeping haiku is older ipads that won't work with Myro Home and they are mounted in the wall :(

Hope this helps.  It should be easy to get connected.

When my credit card expired in one of my security systems, I couldn't even contact Next Alarm to update the account profile as I had forgotten my password.  They have been in limbo state for a while.
Monk said:
Pete - I got a  letter as you did.
In reading the first paragraph, they specify "Internet" service. Does this also affect POTS? 
Its not clear that they are shutting down all services.

Still have greater than 30 days before this happens - 

Thanks for any / all thoughts.

Just called Alarm Relay at 800-624-6811.

CS (Customer Service Representive)

She asked me about model of Alarm panel that I am using to make sure that it is compatible with their service.

Here mine is an Leviton HAI OmniPro 2 panel connected to a land line with a backup cellular line.

She stated the basic rate but not the other two offerings (which I mentioned I was aware of).

Note that these are billed yearly and they do notify you before renewal.

$8.95 per month

24/7 Security Monitoring
Cheapest security monitoring type
Save on home insurance
In-house Central Station
Reliable transmission
No automated calls
System takeover
U.L. Certified

$13.95 per month *

24/7 Security Monitoring
Remote control via a smartphone
Professional Monitoring Station
New smart home technologies
Save on home insurance
Take control of your home
Email and text notifications
U.L. Certified

$19.95 per month

24/7 Security Monitoring
Remote control via a smartphone
Professional Monitoring Station
Take control of your home
Email and text notifications
Dual path communicator
Line cut prevention
U.L. Certified

* With Next Alarm my contract included email and texting (that I really did not need).

So here already have email and texting, remote control via cellular and dual lines.

With the already included with my OmniPro 2 panel will probably chose to go with $8.95 per month rate.

She also mentioned once the contract / charges were approved then a service technician would call me while I configured the panel for their system.

CS representative said that there would be a $60 service fee for the service technician call and the configuration (which I am doing on the OmnPro 2 panel).

I asked if there was a discount relating to the activation fee of $60 and CS representative said no.

Going to take my time as I do have a clip and paste here of my current configuration which should hopefully be easy / plug n play.

Aroul,  

I haven't converted to cell yet so can't really tell you much about that.  I did ask Alarm Relay what the options were some time back.  I would ask them.  You might be able to pick up the needed cell equipment other places cheaper.  I just looked into it a little and then decided to stick with what I have for now.   

Just saw your PM and will send you my info. I think they just need my name for the referral discount.  

BTW, the basic rate used to go up by $1 a month after the first year.  Probably still the same.  

Jim Skinner

Depends on how you look at it.  I think it is just a $50 check a couple months after you get set up - that's what the one person I did it with recently told me.  So not a direct discount on the installation but essentially the same.

So it is a $50 refund after you are configured and charged the $60 installation?

I asked about any discounts and CS told me that there were none.  I then asked her to check about this and she said that there were no discounts.

I made the switch to Alarm Relay successfully today.  I had ordered the Alula BAT Connect based on their recommendation.  It came prewired for HAI/Omnicontrol and they even shipped a small screw driver.  During the appointment, the tech was very familiar with the HAI panel and keypads.  Guided me step by step and made it very easy to set up the connection and make all the config changes.  I just read all the zone info and he typed it in.  Worked like a charm when we tested it.  

One thing that is bugging me now is the clicking sound I hear every minute or two.  It seems to be looking for a phone line...and hanging up.  When I was with Nextalarm, I was using VOIP.  Now using internet/cell connection.   The AlarmRelay tech did guide me to disable the phone line dead error message on the panel.   Anyone know how to avoid this clicking sound....?

I moved yesterday.  I just did the dial up plan.  I am moving so I didn't want to invest in a communicator and the higher priced plan.

I want to point out a HUGE problem for those using HAIKU on ipads in their home.  I tested the duress code for disarming which is totally silent.  Well it is supposed to be BUT let me tell you all my ipads acting as keypads went berserk.  REALLY bad if you really want to use that code silently.  Since haiku is no longer in development I guess it will never get corrected. Anyway just an observation I thought I would share that in YEARS I never knew because thank goodness I never needed to use the duress code.

Good luck!

Neil

aroul said:
I made the switch to Alarm Relay successfully today.  I had ordered the Alula BAT Connect based on their recommendation.  It came prewired for HAI/Omnicontrol and they even shipped a small screw driver.  During the appointment, the tech was very familiar with the HAI panel and keypads.  Guided me step by step and made it very easy to set up the connection and make all the config changes.  I just read all the zone info and he typed it in.  Worked like a charm when we tested it.  

One thing that is bugging me now is the clicking sound I hear every minute or two.  It seems to be looking for a phone line...and hanging up.  When I was with Nextalarm, I was using VOIP.  Now using internet/cell connection.   The AlarmRelay tech did guide me to disable the phone line dead error message on the panel.   Anyone know how to avoid this clicking sound....?

Isn't their communicator installed in the phone line connections?  I thought it was supposed to be connected where the POTS line would typically connect so it shouldn't keep clicking?  I think there is an option for how often to test the phone line is dead or not.  Let me know.

Neil

Neil,

For some odd reason, 30 minutes or so after posting the message...the clicking sound has gone away by itself.   I didn't do anything.  May be something got reset or it gave up after X number of retries.

Thanks
Aroul

pete_c said:
So it is a $50 refund after you are configured and charged the $60 installation?

I asked about any discounts and CS told me that there were none.  I then asked her to check about this and she said that there were no discounts.
Yes, a check several months after the initial setup I think.  That's when the payment goes to the person making the referral.  So it may be a matter of semantics.

Did you mention you were calling because of a referral by a current customer?

Did you mention you were calling because of a referral by a current customer?

No.  I asked them for a discount and they said no.  Then I asked about a group discount (like a Cocoontech users discount) and they said no.

I'll bring it up again.  ]

Back