NextAlarm

Thanks Dan. I sent customer service an email about 90 minutes ago. I haven't heard back yet.

Edit: Tuantu, I know what you mean. I felt really bad having the police show up with red lights and siren on an account that was on "test". I feel confident that Dan will make it right.

I went and kicked a little butt, and I think the situation is now resolved. Check your e-mail again, and let us know if there's anything else.

Regarding test mode as it's normally used (rfdesq's situation was a little more unusual), yes, you should always be careful to put your account in test mode if you're doing anything that might trigger an alarm signal. Moving sensors, changing batteries in wireless sensors, reprogramming, whatever. We are necessarily on a hair trigger when it comes to alarms, as is the rest of the industry, so there is a very real danger of a dispatch if you don't specifically let us know not to respond when you're working on the system.

Dan

Dan_NA said:
I went and kicked a little butt, and I think the situation is now resolved. Check your e-mail again, and let us know if there's anything else.
You sure did! I think the situation is resolved. Way to go NextAlarm and Dan.

rfdesq said:
Dan:

We need to see account numbers sent with each email or SMS notification. If you are monitoring multiple accounts you cannot tell which one is sending a periodic test signal, alarm signal, etc. Thanks.
This is done. There is now a text field at the bottom of the "E-Notify (E-Mail Alert) and Panel User Name Settings" page, where you can enter whatever you want. Anything you enter there will be included with all E-Notify messages, so you can enter your account number, address, "Home", "Office", or whatever you like.

Just updated most of my accounts. Tested it and it works like a charm. Once again you stepped up to the plate and hit a home run. ELK & NextAlarm are a great combo. Can't wait for the two-way voice.

I am just setting up an M1G w/ M1XEP ethernet card & the uplink anynet unit via a serial adapter. I was going to open a nextalarm acct. in the next couple days & wanted to go over the internet as primary and uplink as backup. Sounds like the internet reporting won't work. Guess I can just run everything through uplink?

I need to make a 6-pin molex serial connection for the uplink however since I did not order the 25 pin serial unit that is $250 vs. $180. Plus I think the 25 pinner needs an expensive cable; not clear if that is included. I cannot believe uplink did not put the 6 pin serial adapter in the box. $1 in parts $4 in shipping. Any advice appreciated!

I like NextAlarms e-mail features! Guess I won't really need that as much since I have the M1XEP?

let us know how the connector works out. I've ordered an uplink without the serial port, and hopefully I won't regret it.

Dan:

I have another request from my customers. They want to see SMS and email alarm messages on their phones and computers but don't want to see the periodic tests, trouble, etc. I, as installer, want to see them all. NextAlarm lumps true alarm messages with test signals and trouble. However you do break out Panel User Activity as a separate entity. Can you separate true alarm signals from test signals? That would solve all my customer concerns. Thanks.

They actually already are separate. On the E-Notify configuration page, there are checkboxes for each alarm zone, and a separate box marked "All other events". That box controls all test reports, trouble signals, etc., but not alarms.

Dan:

Now I'm confused. Here is the box in NextAlarm to enter email addresses: E-Notify Addresses for Zones and System Messages:

How do I enter my customers email address/SMS and only send them true alarm messages? How do I enter my email address/SMS in the same box and have NextAlarm send me all true alarm signals including test and trouble? If I check the "All other system messages" check box we all receive the test signals. If I uncheck it, nobody receives test signals. They are not truly separate because there is only one place to enter an email address. The second switch controls what is sent to all of those email addresses. There is no way to separate test from true alarm. It is all or nothing.

If you're not a VAR (in other words, your customers are actually just signing up on their own and have given you their passwords), then you can't have alarm signals go to one address, and non-alarm signals go to another address. It's a good idea, though, and I'll add it to the to-do list.

The best solution for what you're describing is to sign up as a VAR at www.nextalarm.com/var. This will let you manage all of your customers' accounts from a single interface, and will also let you have signals sent to the address of your choice, completely separate from the settings your customers enter.

To clarify further, the customer accounts aren't really meant for an installer and the customer to share. They're meant for the customer to use, so they're geared for things that one person might need, which we didn't anticipate included sending different types of signals to different addresses. To do what you're describing, which is have the signals on an account split into "Signals meant for Person A" and "Signals meant for Person B, who isn't actually the accountholder", you should sign up as a VAR, which IS geared for that.

Dan_NA said:
If you're not a VAR (in other words, your customers are actually just signing up on their own and have given you their passwords), then you can't have alarm signals go to one address, and non-alarm signals go to another address. It's a good idea, though, and I'll add it to the to-do list.
That's where the confusion lay. I didn't want to get into the monthly VAR hassle of not having the customer pay then having to cancel, etc. The customers are happy dealing directly with NextAlarm. Since I set them up before leaving they give me their password to keep an eye on their account. And, since you are adding it to the to-do list it doesn't matter since I will be able to accomplish what the customer wants. Having this split of email notification also lets the customer only have the important signals go to their business email or cell phones and not disturb them during business hours.

Dan_NA said:

The best solution for what you're describing is to sign up as a VAR at www.nextalarm.com/var. This will let you manage all of your customers' accounts from a single interface, and will also let you have signals sent to the address of your choice, completely separate from the settings your customers enter.

To clarify further, the customer accounts aren't really meant for an installer and the customer to share. They're meant for the customer to use, so they're geared for things that one person might need, which we didn't anticipate included sending different types of signals to different addresses. To do what you're describing, which is have the signals on an account split into "Signals meant for Person A" and "Signals meant for Person B, who isn't actually the accountholder", you should sign up as a VAR, which IS geared for that.
Dan,
do you think that being a VAR is the best way for a landlord to monitor several properties?

Also, could you privately send me a phone number where I could talk to a person about some support issues? I have several unresolved issues currently that seem to be ignored.

Hemant

Hey all. I JUST got my Elk M1G set up with the UpLink AnyNet model 19-25133-070 vs. the more expensive -071 unit that requires the 25 pin cable. Another story is how it did not work for a few days despite NextAlarm getting daily reports from it. Turns out they did not check the "serial com box" with Uplink so serial data was not getting transmitted from UpLink to NextAlarm. Fine now but took some trouble shooting! :D Also another important note is that ElkRP telephone setup for an UpLink deletes the "999999" acct. numbers and puts in zeros each time you send it and then go back to look at it after leaving that screen. Don't worry, they upload and are there in the panel/system. Just not on the RP screen. Elk (e-mail), UpLink (phone), and NextAlarm (e-mail) have all been very helpful. ;)

So back to the UpLink setup: I ordered the molex parts, 50-57-9406, six pin housing, and six 16-02-0103 crimp terminals. I got them from a distributor that had no min. $ order; $5 w/shipping usps, about 3 days. It was easy to make w/o the $250 crimping tool. :)

You only need 3 pins, but I got extra incase I messed up. Strip the wire based on the length of the crimp terminal. With a small flat plier, crimp one side on the bare wire and then crimp the other side over it. Press it in the fitting deep until a little metal barb on the terminal pops into the visible catch hole in the plastic terminal. The barb is tiny but look for it so you know which way to insert the terminal pin into the plastic terminal housing. :p

The wires: The Uplink directions (pg. 8) give the pin designations but you do have to figure out which Elk wires are which on the provided serial cable that comes with the M1xsp (diagram pg. 22 of the Elk M1xsp manual). The GREEN wire is pin 2 of the molex and this is DATA IN and Pin 3 on the M1xsp. The RED wire is pin 3 of the molex and this is DATA OUT and Pin 2 on the M1xsp. The BLACK wire is pin 4 of the molex and this is GROUND and Pin 5 on the M1xsp. :D

Another important thing to know since it is not clear in the UpLink manual. You do not need to change the dip switches or hook up the Alarm bell to trip it. All info, including alarms DOES go through the serial JUST like the more expensive unit.
:)

Back