Haiku Notifications Not Working

tannebil

Suddenly, I'm not getting notifications for anything happening in the controller.  If I do a "Send Test Notification" in HaikuHelper the notification appears but not for anything else.  I was getting notifications for every sensor trip which is what I wanted for testing purposes but starting today, I'm getting nothing.

I did an arm/disarm and the notifications appeared on the Mac running HH but nothing on my iOS devices.

Everything shows green in HH for the controller.

I've tried disabling/enabling notifications in Haiku on the iPhone and iPad I'm using for testing but it didn't have any effect.

Update: I tried deleting/installing Haiku from my iPhone 4S but it didn't have any effect.  I also added a piece of code to my HH script to send a notification.  The notification appeared in Notifications on the Mini but nothing was delivered to my iOS devices. 

Check to make sure push notifications are enabled in HaikuHelper for your controller and that the relevant notification types are also enabled.

Restarting Haiku did not resolve the problem but a reboot of the server did (at least for the moment).

Now I can go back to trying to figure out why proximity detection works great on my 4S (T-Mobile) but sucks on my wife's 4S (AT&T). AT&T has better coverage in the area so you'd think it would work better.  Mark me down as voting for an option to use an WiFi SSID to determine proximity rather than geo-fencing.

Actually, I'm not quite ready to move beyond notifications.  I have two different issues. First, although I have "Zone Status (Trips & Trouble) checked in Notifications, I don't get push or e-mail notifications when I transition a zone between "Not Ready"/"Ready" status. I could swear I got those when I first installed HH.  Does "Trips" correspond to the status of a zone changing or does it mean something else?  There's no notifications for zone changes in Notification Center or System Log on on the Mini. if I use a script to detect the zone status change and send a notification, that works fine.

Second, iOS notifications and Haiku interact in a surprising (at least to me) ways.  For example, I just restarted HH and both my iPhone 4S and iPad Mini got "Connection to controller established" notifications.  I then opened Haiku on the the iPhone and all the Haiku notifications on the iPhone disappeared.  I then armed the system using the iPhone.  The iPad got an "Area 1 armed" notifications but the iPhone did not get it even though I exited Haiku before the arming countdown ended. I'm guessing this is by design since some testing with Gmail showed exactly the same behavior.

That leads me to my final question for the moment.  If I want to be able to review recent activity on my HAI controller using iOS, is there a way to do that other than using HH scripting?

tannebil said:
First, although I have "Zone Status (Trips & Trouble) checked in Notifications, I don't get push or e-mail notifications when I transition a zone between "Not Ready"/"Ready" status. I could swear I got those when I first installed HH.  Does "Trips" correspond to the status of a zone changing or does it mean something else?  There's no notifications for zone changes in Notification Center or System Log on on the Mini. if I use a script to detect the zone status change and send a notification, that works fine.
Trips are tripping when the zone is armed. That means any type of trip that causes an alarm. And troubles are any troubles associated with a zone sensor. If you want to get notifications for every not ready/ready event you need to use scripting.

Second, iOS notifications and Haiku interact in a surprising (at least to me) ways.  For example, I just restarted HH and both my iPhone 4S and iPad Mini got "Connection to controller established" notifications.  I then opened Haiku on the the iPhone and all the Haiku notifications on the iPhone disappeared.  I then armed the system using the iPhone.  The iPad got an "Area 1 armed" notifications but the iPhone did not get it even though I exited Haiku before the arming countdown ended. I'm guessing this is by design since some testing with Gmail showed exactly the same behavior.

That leads me to my final question for the moment.  If I want to be able to review recent activity on my HAI controller using iOS, is there a way to do that other than using HH scripting?
That is generally how iOS's notification system works. You can log any events you want to be able to view at a later time using the appropriate message log commands either in HaikuHelper's scripting or in the controller's automation program. The arm notification is sent before the countdown begins, not after.

Thanks for the explanation.  I've never paid much attention to the details of notifications before so I've been a bit of a voyage of discovery.

Just installed HH and test notifications works however I want to get an push/email whenever an unarmed zone is tripped (unsecure) especially the two Drive Sensors (Aux), Front Door (Entry) & Other Doors (Perimeter).  From the above reply am I to assume that I must set up some scripting??  If so this is disappointing.  The configuration page indicates I am set to get "zone status (trips & troubles)" push and emails?

I do get push/email notifications of arming, disarming, & Zigbee door locking and I will expect also when I set off an alarm.

Only a minimal amount of scripting is needed.

Code:
function onZoneNotReady(zone) {
	if (!zone.isBypassed) { // Match zoned
		helper.sendNotification(controller, zone.bestDescription + ' NOT ready');
	}
}
function onZoneReady(zone) {
	if (!zone.isBypassed) { // Match zoned
		helper.sendNotification(controller, zone.bestDescription + ' READY');
	}
}

Hey there, just adding a bit of color commentary to this thread because I found the answer somewhat elusive.

My goal was to get iOS notifications working for Haiku. therefore purchased HaikuHelper and installed on mac. Completed setup & configured access to the OmniPro panel. Confirmed working & Green lights across the board. Next stop, notifications. Plink plonk. boop beep. Awesome.

HaikuHelper Mac OS Notification Center - working fine
HaikuHelper Email Notifications (gmail) - working fine
Haiku iOS App Push Notifications - not working

Yes, I am able to get email notifications to my iOS device so I'm not totally blind to events, but push notifications would be ideal and yet they ain't working.
Yes, the name matches up in Haiku and HH. Yes, I am connected to the internet. Yes, the phone is on.

So I start reading cocoon threads and the answer seems to be some combination of restarting the apps and HH server and standing on one leg and rubbing your belly. Sooo, I restarted the Haiku app, iOS device and the HaikuHelper app, stood on one leg and rubbed my belly to no avail. iOS notifications continue to not function, despite confirming that notifications are indeed enabled in notification center in system settings in iOS.

Then I noticed that from when I first installed the Haiku app, I still had the push notification slider set to off since I did not have HaikuHelper and could not leverage notifications at the time, so I had left it off. So many places to enable notifications, so many ways to face palm. doink.

Safe to say, all working perfectly now. [fist pump]  Hope this helps someone.

I cant get notification on iPhone.  what's the trick?
Or maybe I think push notification means something differently.

Does it mean, start the app (in my case Space app), set the sliders to push.  put the app in back group.  trip an alarm to see... negative.  I can only get alarms when app is in foreground... can someone explain to me... thanks in advance.

WBBayard1 said:
I cant get notification on iPhone.  what's the trick?
Or maybe I think push notification means something differently.

Does it mean, start the app (in my case Space app), set the sliders to push.  put the app in back group.  trip an alarm to see... negative.  I can only get alarms when app is in foreground... can someone explain to me... thanks in advance.
Push notifications for Space will require a Mac running SpaceServer, which is not available yet.

OK, thanks for the information; "Push notifications for Space will require a Mac running SpaceServer, which is not available yet."

I also have Haiku; with HaikuHelper on Mac; should that work to push out notification? 

WBBayard1 said:
OK, thanks for the information; "Push notifications for Space will require a Mac running SpaceServer, which is not available yet."

I also have Haiku; with HaikuHelper on Mac; should that work to push out notification? 
Yes, that will work as usual.

Back