Oh where to start!

packer_fan

12 years ago when we were building our house I was working with a consultant (via the web, out of business now) and wired our house for security./ automation. Lots of 22/4 wire was run.
Every window is wired for a sensor. Each room is wired for glass break. Other parts of the house are wire for motion sensors. Garage is wired.  
I have a document that my Dad put together for me so I know the origin of all of ther wires. 

But like everyone knows LIFE and family events both good and bad have happen and so now 12 year later it time to start finishing the project. :)

So my first question is this. I am looking to use an ELK M1 Gold for security and HA. 

I would like to do the following:
Security System
Monitor / Control Lighting
Monitor Doors / Monitor and Control Door Locks
Monitor Windows
Monitor Net Cameras/Activate Camera When Motion Detected

Would like to monitor and view remotely via iPhone/iPad etc..

Can the ELK do all of this or would I be better off using a Homeseer appliance for home automation and have it interface with the ELK for security?

Thank you
Peter

The simple answer to your question is yes and no. The Elk can orchestrate everything you want to do but will not perform all of the tasks on it's own, there will need to be other players involved. The Elk is a complete security system with the added ability to communicate with and control other hardware that is used for the automation tasks. To accomplish what you describe above you will need a security system,lighting control system, door control system and video surveillance system in addition to a way to control them all. In order to do the install you're going to need to learn at least the basics of these systems and have a basic knowledge of DC electrical circuits.

I self installed my Elk with door and window sensors for security, automated lighting, controlling remote garage doors and viewing a few IP cams and my best advise on where to start is by reading everything that you can get your hands on. The way that I approached the job was to study each system separately and then try to understand how they interact with each other. If it is your first install then go slow and expect to make some mistakes. You just can't spend enough time on the planning stage of the project being that it is your first.

As for homeseer or similar software I advise against even looking in that direction until you get to a point in the project that you feel that you need it.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
The simple answer to your question is yes and no. The Elk can orchestrate everything you want to do but will not perform all of the tasks on it's own, there will need to be other players involved. The Elk is a complete security system with the added ability to communicate with and control other hardware that is used for the automation tasks. To accomplish what you describe above you will need a security system,lighting control system, door control system and video surveillance system in addition to a way to control them all. In order to do the install you're going to need to learn at least the basics of these systems and have a basic knowledge of DC electrical circuits.

I self installed my Elk with door and window sensors for security, automated lighting, controlling remote garage doors and viewing a few IP cams and my best advise on where to start is by reading everything that you can get your hands on. The way that I approached the job was to study each system separately and then try to understand how they interact with each other. If it is your first install then go slow and expect to make some mistakes. You just can't spend enough time on the planning stage of the project being that it is your first.

As for homeseer or similar software I advise against even looking in that direction until you get to a point in the project that you feel that you need it.

Mike.

Thanks Mike,

So the ELK M1 Gold can do everthing I need I will just need to add ELK controllers (Z-Wave or UPB etc.. ) to get the job done. 

Thank
Peter

packer_fan said:
Thanks Mike,

So the ELK M1 Gold can do everthing I need I will just need to add ELK controllers (Z-Wave or UPB etc.. ) to get the job done. 

Thank
Peter

Yes with video control being the exception.

Security System
The Elk is a top notch professional security system

Monitor / Control Lighting
Elk makes adapters to control and monitor lighting both UPB and wireless

Monitor Doors / Monitor and Control Door Locks
Controlling locks can be done through wired electric latches and strikes and things but I am just beginning to learn about these

Monitor Windows
Elk can monitor both wired and wireless door and window sensors

Monitor Net Cameras/Activate Camera When Motion Detected
The Elk is NOT a video surveillance system. and does not control cameras directly. I like to think of video surveillance as a completely separate entity apart from the elk. ekeypad hoever does allow you to view ip cameras in addition to comtrolling the Elk system

Would like to monitor and view remotely via iPhone/iPad etc..
There is an app for that. ekeypad is popular elk software on IOS and mykeypad on droid.

I recommend that you get an online account with elk and HAI/Leviton and download the installation manuals of each system. here is a link to elk

http://www.elkproducts.com/m1_manuals_docs.html

Mike.

Zwave locks/deadbolts are also an option.

Mykeypad is not recommended for Android phones with Lollipop (5.0) or later versions. M1TouchPro is the suggested Android app that Elk recommends.

packer_fan said:
Thanks Mike,

Thank
Peter

Adding the hardware gets very expensive very quickly. For instance in order to add UPB capability to my Elk I had to buy a serial port adapter for about $100 and the Pulseworx PIM for about $200 and that is before you fork out for switches and outlets and all the other fun stuff.

Mike.

Mike.

First, I know the feeling re: life getting in the way. I started into HA about ten years ago but have been less active in recent years as the demands of running a business have taken me away. As for your questions, I find that the Elk is a great security backbone, that plays well with some other components that do a better job for their specialty. For example, I run Insteon for lighting and use an ISY device (Universal Decices) to control that. The Elk speaks to it and the two work together like left and right hands. Cameras connect to a dedicated DVR. A Nest controls HVAC. I use about four apps to view these on my phone, but I could do it with 2 (Nest being the exception, and I could probably get around that if I tried).

I formerly used Homeseer (my entry into HA) but now find it serves little purpose as these other devices / apps work so well on their own (and as a Insteon user, they sort of put me into second class citizen status with their z-wave infatuation). It was also the weak link in the system, as it frequently locked up. Now, my system will go for months without any maintenance at all. I fire up HS every once in a while to see if there's anything I might want to do with it, but then I just shut it down and let the house run itself. I certainly cannot recommend it.

My main point is that the days when one, single system had to be used for everything are gone, in my opinion. The Elk is a great security system that works well with another great device, the ISY. For about the same cost or less than an Elk-compatible thermostat, I get a much better device in a Nest thermostat (and yes, I've used those other devices). The same holds true for the cameras. And with about the same number of "thumb strokes" as would be need with a single app, I can access everything on my phone in a single location. You're on a good path with the Elk - just don' t think that it must do everything.

Madcodger said:
My main point is that the days when one, single system had to be used for everything are gone, in my opinion. The Elk is a great security system that works well with another great device, the ISY. For about the same cost or less than an Elk-compatible thermostat, I get a much better device in a Nest thermostat (and yes, I've used those other devices). The same holds true for the cameras. And with about the same number of "thumb strokes" as would be need with a single app, I can access everything on my phone in a single location. You're on a good path with the Elk - just don' t think that it must do everything.
I am not sure I agree wrt using multiple controllers. 

There is certain beauty in a minimalistic HA/security design. I very much prefer using a single  control center(e.g. HAI/Elk) to manage everything rather than wasting my time on making different pieces of equipment cooperate.  Sometimes, due to immature/faulty design one may not have a choice but to use two or more controllers, but that's a drawback rather than a benefit, imho.

Re. Nest. Regardless of its actual or imaginary self-learning features usefullness, the showstopper for me was need for cloud-based aceess to the device -- it's impossible for an automation controller to access the thermostat locally.

I want to thank everyone for chiming in.  Working with the folks at Automated Outlet getting some quotes.

I have the quote on the ELK with both UPB and Z-Wave controllers.

Also have a quote for their ToughDog (embeded Linux)  16 channel, 8 PoE NVR.

Need to review the quotes this week.

Thanks everyone!

-Peter

Back