OmniPro IIe, Nest, HaikuHelper, and HomeSeer

ckg1999

All,

I have just installed two Nest thermostats and use an OmniPro IIe as my automation controller.  I run HaikuHelper on my Mac and use Haiku on my iDevices.  I also am trialling HomeSeer.  Is there an easy way to make all of these work in one simple application?

If not, its ok, but would love to have complete control over everything from one place (WAF).

Thanks!

Unfortunately your problem will be with the Nest.  They refuse to release an API for them, so they don't integrate with anything.  Had you chosen another thermostat (Either HAI native wired, or any zigbee or z-wave, or even some of the Wi-FI ones) you would have a chance.

What else are you not able to do with the Omni/HaikuHelper pair?  What is making you trial homeseer?

As far as one app, iRule is starting to close in on this... with their new HAI module it's getting close to having custom touchscreens on iOS and Android devices, but there is still some feedback/talkback issues, and they don't support some critical stuff like User Settings yet.

There is  Homeseer plugin for Nest that was written by the user who was able to hack the API for some functionality. If you can code JSON, you can potentially link Haiku and Homeseer. At the same time you'll have increased number of moving parts in your automation system, which will most likely lead to less reliability. IMO, the Nest thermostat is best for people who do not have a home automation system. In your case you'd be better served by any other communicating thermostat, like neillt described.

Those are valid points.  I can't yet code JSON, but hopefully soon.  I just want to integrate all of my systems (incl Sonos, which is HomeSeer Supported) and make it easy for the WAF.  

If Nest isn't integrated, it's not the end of the world, but would be nice to have rules like "Upstairs Smoke Alarm -> Turn off AC"

It doesn't hurt that the president of HAI is the president of CEDIA right now..... just my conspiracy spidey senses tingling.....

I agree, it would be nice if Nest would open up to other HA systems. But I'm in my second automated home, with Elk, ISY and HS (and automated tstats having been used before), and I still think my Nest is one of the best purchases I've ever made. And the HS plugin does work well, although I have HS shut down now, trying to get by without its complexity.

Just a quickie note and "plug"  here relating to a new HAI plugin for Homeseer 3.

We are in the beginning stages of writing a new HS plugin for the HAI panel.  That said the plugin is being written to run in Linux.

The base Linux pieces will be a diagnostic piece with a direct connect to the HAI panel.  I am looking for this piece to run on anything.  The smaller device the better.  IE: so small of a piece of hardware that it could probably reside inside of an HAI can such that there would be two network interfaces coming from the HAI panel.  One for the panel itself and one for a small piece of hardware / software running Linux. 

Personally I am looking for almost instant responses from the HSTouch HAI clients whatever OS they happen to be running in.  I have tested both Android, Linux and wintel clients.  Linux clients need some polishing at this time.

Something this small could also have a legacy serial and network interface on it.

The plugin / linux pieces are still in the early stages of development. 

We had only accumulated some $500.00 USD for developement of said plugin.  That said the author decided to purchase an OmniPro 2 panel such that we can now utilize the $500 for additional HAI hardware.  I am hoping for more support for this endeavor.  The support and help is sort of tiered depending on the amount of the donation. 

Right now though pushing the $125.00 USD donation such that you can partcipate in both developement and testing of the plugin. (so far only 5 contributors at this point.)

BTW the concept of a Linux plugin and actual Homeseer ported to Linux application has been tested already and I have been using it now for over 2 years with the MCS Sprinklers written in Linux application running on a Seagate Dockstar.  I have had no issues with it to date.

Now that the Nest Protect is out, I wanted to revist this topic.

Is there any software/trialware that I could use to have the Nest and my OmniPro IIe in one app?  I hate going between the two.  I also don't feel like buying another machine just to be a hard-wired interface between the OmniPro IIe and other system.  

Any addtl thoughts are welome.

Back