One wire and ELK...

One would perceive that the M1KAM Access Module is a red headed step child, but I understand the swimming kangaroo is almost here. :)

I have done a search on one wire and found this. http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/1-wire/

not really sure the big deal? what some of the people here want to do doesnt require one wire, right? maybe its just a simpler solution? just trying to educate myself of why the demand. thanks!

Hi Ranger,

Yes you missed the mark a bit. One wire and the 1-Wire maxim interfaces are well known to the people requesting the update from Spanky. Spanky is the Chief Engineer of Elk and we are trying find out from him where the 1-Wire interface got the ELK is at.

If you follow the thread from the beggining it will become clearer.

Spanky stated on the 2nd October 2006 "There is an upcoming access module for the M1 or EZ8 that can accept 26 bit Weigand prox readers and the Dallas iButton 1-wire devices that will include a 1-wire temperature sensor. 8 to 10 weeks away."

There are a good number of folks including myself that have been hanging out for the release of the product or indeed an update.

What we are trying to find out is the revised timing and some form factor as a number of us here are planning to integrate the ELK 1-Wire interface into our installation. Given 8-10 weeks is now +24 week past the greater of the 2 numbers indicated by Spanky we are wanting to see a real update on the product along with very importantly some form factor and how it will interface to the ELK. Knowing this will allow us to at least correctly prewire cabling for when it does hit the market. We are also interested on if and how ELK might repackage the 1-Wire devices from a HA/security application.

There have been a number of practical reasons why the 1-Wire interface is not released however in a vail attempt in recent updates from Spanky he has blamed our Kangaroo for the slow delivery of some test boards which as an Australian I have to come to the defence of our Kangaroo's! :)

Need to clariy another rumour floating around about our Kangaroo's...... not one of them was on the grassy knoll !! :)

Apart from the comments about te Kanga's which is a rolling thing with Spanky I hope that it explains why we are all wanting the "ELK 1-Wire" information/update not just 1-Wire which you rightly point out is readily available from Maxim.

Cheers,

Fleetz

One would perceive that the M1KAM Access Module is a red headed step child, but I understand the swimming kangaroo is almost here. ;)

Hey Spanky,

Just saw your reply you must have sent your reply when I was typing my last post . I suspect that when I sent my thread it didn't send me a notification that there was a new message in the thread because it was mine. He I was thinking you were dodging the question.....silly me! :blink:

Just goes to show how clever our Kangaroos are they can swim too! :) Any chance he has arrived? Let me guess he has arrived but has to find his own way to Hildebran! Tough buggers our Kangaroos.... :) :) :)

Cheers and beers,

Fleetz

Fleetz,
The M1KAM access module for the ELK M1 has arrived!

Currently, it supports 26 bit Weigand prox cards, Dallas 1-wire ibutton, and a 1-wire temperature sensor. Additional support will be software upgradable.

If we could only catch that Roo! :)

fleet hello my friend, thanks for the explanation. I had read all the posts. I guess what I dont understand are the applications folks want to use it for. I mean how its so different and beneficial. I am sure I will learn over time though. Love new toys! :)

ps. I did not know roo's could swim. Hopefully on their backs if they are carrying young ones in their pouch, lol.

Benefits as I see it Ranger Digital are

1 As rfdesq correctly pointed out....frees up the hardwired zones actually on the M1 unit.

2 I believe cabling multiuple sensors will be easier as you don't have to do home runs back to the M1 for each sensor.

3 Hopefully appearance the ELK temp sensor with all due respect to ELK look and are packaged more for industrial locations. I would not put one in my new home unless it was in my roof space. I am not sure what off the shelf 1-Wire or iButton are available that are package that compliment a domestic house applications. I would be interest what other members have turned up.

4. Cost will be reduced where a good number of sensors are required. In my situation I need probably 9 sensors for my new house. That is of course doesn't Spanky doesn't amortise the cost of our Kangaroo's bar bill that he has to pay for delivering the board!!!. :)

5. Possibly the opportunity now to add humidity to the mix of sensors that can be included in the future.

These are the advantages as I see them I am sure there are some more.

Cheers,

Fleetz

Ranger Digital,
If you joined this thread late, the swimming kangaroo (Roo's) were an explaination on why the M1KAM was taking so long to be delivered from Australia. :)

Fleetz,
The M1KAM access module for the ELK M1 has arrived!

Currently, it supports 26 bit Weigand prox cards, Dallas 1-wire ibutton, and a 1-wire temperature sensor. Additional support will be software upgradable.

If we could only catch that Roo! :)

Spanky,

Wooohoooo, been waiting for this !
When will details and specs be posted to Elk's web site?

robolo

I definitely would love to see shipping details as well, I might get one of these myself.

Ranger Digital,
If you joined this thread late, the swimming kangaroo (Roo's) were an explaination on why the M1KAM was taking so long to be delivered from Australia. :blink:

Spanky, nope got it. I read every new post, LOL. Always learning something. Been watching them roo's for some time. They must be tired.

I'm ok with how to connect a one wire, what I dont see is the device supporting "multiple" 1 wire sensors....Can you connect more than 1 ?

Ta Pete.... Land of the Killer Kangeroo :)

Back