One wire and ELK...

The first release of the M1KAM supports the iButton 1 wire device. Forthcoming software upgrades will support other 1 wire devices.

when is the forthcoming software upgrade coming? will it support more than one 1-wire device? limitations to the wiring length?

also, does anyone have recommendations as to 1-wire temp sensors (look good, accurate, cheap)?

i'm considering using ibutton instead of weigand for access control (seeing as the weigand has a 10 foot limit back to the keypad) and it would be great if i could get one M1KAM with multiple ibutton readers and temp sensors. any info is greatly appreciated!

Whats the status on 1 wire for the Elk? Its been many months since this thread started. Are the temps supported yet?

John

Whats the status on 1 wire for the Elk? Its been many months since this thread started. Are the temps supported yet?

I am also quite interested in finding this out! Also, in response to some of the other posts, as long as the software supports it, you could theoretically daisychain 100 1-Wire devices using one 1-Wire input. Each 1-Wire device has an unique address and as long as the software supports addressing multiple devices, there should be no problem.

The current M1KAM will support up to 199 iButton ID keys which are 1-wire. It will also support either one temperature or one humidity sensor in each M1KAM. The humidity is displayed as a temperature. The only reason we can not support more temp sensors on a M1KAM is due to the software structure within the M1.

Hobby Boards have temp and humidity sensors that work very good.

The current M1KAM will support up to 199 iButton ID keys which are 1-wire. It will also support either one temperature or one humidity sensor in each M1KAM. The humidity is displayed as a temperature. The only reason we can not support more temp sensors on a M1KAM is due to the software structure within the M1.

Hobby Boards have temp and humidity sensors that work very good.

Just to summarise - the M1KAM only supports one 1-wire temperature and not multiple as hoped.

There is no solution to using multiple 1-wire temps or humidity within the M1 as of yet.

Mick

So the 1-wire potential is dead in the water aside from a single ibutton reader? What other PC-less options do we have to handle 1-wire devices (temp, humidity, et al.)? Does the Stargate manage these?

The Barix Barionet devices support 1-wire, not sure if they support the humidity variant, but check out this thread for some really good information about these devices (I really need to order one myself).

The Barix Barionet devices support 1-wire, not sure if they support the humidity variant, but check out this thread for some really good information about these devices (I really need to order one myself).

Thanks for the pointer. It looks interesting and I'll look further into it, though it seems a little bit complicated. I guess if I can't find any other options, I'll just have to bite the bullet and learn how to program for it.
I do like it's power consumption and independence from a PC.

By the way, just wondering, why can't we interface a hobbyboards 1-wire hub to the ELK using a serial adapter to get readings from 1 wire devices?
Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I'm a complete "newb" to the ELK so I have hardly any idea of what is possible and what's not at this point.

There are now 2 models of Barionet -- the "original" model now called the Barionet 100 (typ.$295) and a new model, the Barionet 50 (around $180).

I have the original Barionet which supports direct attachment of up to 50 1-Wire temperature (only) sensors. I am using several of these and I must say, this is about as painless a wired temperature-monitoring solution as there is. I even put a temperature sensor in my AV equipment cabinet just to keep an eye on things. You just wire them up and then look for the address in your code, because all of the discovery, polling and device support is already in the firmware. At $4 each, and in a tiny TO92 package, you can put them just about everywhere.

If I were buying a Barionet today I would probably get the Barionet 50, which documentation says will support other 1-Wire devices, although you apparently must code specifically for them. I would like a couple of humidity sensors. The Barionet 100 would need a 1-Wire add-on to do this.

By the way, just wondering, why can't we interface a hobbyboards 1-wire hub to the ELK using a serial adapter to get readings from 1 wire devices?
I have given up on the M1 for applications of this kind, because even if you get your sensor physically attached, you still have the problems of (1) interpreting the readings, for which the M1 is not usually friendly or adaptable, and (2) the M1 will not store history. When these factors push you outside the M1 anyway, it's a smoother path just to keep the whole thing outside.

Where your application is looking for the M1 to respond to a temperature tigger point, then an external threshold-trigger sensor with contact closure is usually the best solution.

My interest is primarily temperature logging with some trigger points, such as fan activation, and alarm points. For this I have a mixture of things, which grew haphazardly over time, including M1ZTS on the M1, thermistor-types attached to my thermostats, and the 1-Wire 18B20s, all ultimately managed and stored by the Barionet.

You've definitely piqued my interest, though I would absolutely want to have humidity sensors, UV sensors, a barometer, etc.
I would want the entire spectrum of 1-wire devices, but the humidity sensor would be imperative ASAP because I have just made an offer on a house (expected to be accepted tomorrow), and there is a slight moisture problem in the basement. I will want to monitor the situation down there until I have found a proper solution. Also, as been mentioned before, a humidity sensor in the bathroom would be a huge plus.
What exactly is the 1-wire add on for the Barionet-100 that you mentioned and how much is it?

Thanks.

WebControl by CAI from amazon or ebay is a under $40 solution that communicates via a IP interface. 8 temperature, 1 humidity, 3 A/D, 8 DI, 8 DO and a simple iser-defined logic engine to control the DO based upon the various inputs and timers. The 1-wire temp sensor is the 12 biit DS18B20 (0.125 deg C resolution) with nice units encapsulated in a stainless steel bullet available on ebay for around $5. It uses HTTP protocol natively and I did a UDP/xAP connector to provide a higher level functionality.

Back