Open Source Home Automation Software

ericvic said:
I don't think I ever said I was trying to run anyone out of business.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you were intending to. In the post I mentioned that there is nothing stopping anyone from creating their own plugins for HomeSeer and distributing them for free. You can easily create one that does something similar to the for-pay plugins and distribute it for free. That's the context in which the statement was meant. It had nothing to do with creating a "rival" HA application. I was the one suggesting, although not seriously, that someone could, in one way, "run someone out of business."

All I meant was that it would not be nice to specifically look at the for-pay plugins, write your own, and distribute them for free, thereby undermining the person who is selling the plugin. I probably could have phrased it better.

It probably should have said something like, 'I just wouldn't go around trying to "run people out of business." :) '

I still think this part stands, though:
But, I'm not sure where people get the idea that you need to PAY for plugins to do anything useful.

I agree that it would be better to work off what you have invested in HS and just write your own plugins to do what you want to. That would allow you to spend less time and get the maximum benifit from your projects. Besides there are many of us that would love to see better and cheaper plugins. As for a GUI front end to HS I would suggest you look at Netremote. Again if you want a better interface between the NR and HS (not that hsGirder doesn't work well) you could always write one yourself. Since Netremote runs on Win32 platforms as well as PocketPC you can pretty much create whatever touch screen clients that you want. Right now the PPC version of NR is light years ahead of MainlobbyPPC. That might change when 3.0 comes out. We shall have to wait and see.

See my posts on this board for Nowplaying.

John

Guys,

Thanks for the replys but I'm not interested in writing plug-ins for HS. I quit using HS over a year ago when I moved into my new house and I don't plan on going back. I don't have much automation setup at my new house yet but I switched to HouseBot and liked what I saw until Meedio bought it. New features and tweaks are non-existent now.

In my opinion HouseBot has a better internal design than HS but it still has its problems (to me) so I want to create something that fits what I want/need. I was just looking for ideas for what others want/need so that if in the future I released it open source others may want to use it.

Maybe you guys can tell me the features you like and dislike in HS and what you wish it would do.

Thanks,
Eric

ericvic,
Would be curious to hear your opinion on what has been reported of HS2.0 architecture relative to what you see of Housebot and even what you were thinking of for your own app.

From a strictly selfish opinion - wish you expended your talents making homeseer more robust as it is very unlikely that I would change trains to an open source app. I like the fact that Homeseer makes money and are successful. That leads me to believe they will be here tomorrow to continue their support and updates for the package. Not as comfortable with an open source project or a freeware package that has no profit motive to stay alive.

My investment in HA software is 99% time and 1% money and I am trying to make sure my time investment was well spent.

DavidL said:
ericvic,
Would be curious to hear your opinion on what has been reported of HS2.0 architecture relative to what you see of Housebot and even what you were thinking of for your own app.
Not to speak ill of the soon to be born, but you know that effectively rebuilding the entire system from the ground up is going to mean that it will go through an extended period of instability. It's inevitable that this will happen when you are talking about not building something from scratch but building something from scratch while being highly constrained by the requirement to maintain backwards compatibility with a large installed base. It's the worst case scenario for a developer, IMHO. They have both all the issues of things that used to work mysteriously not working and all of the bugs that always will be in a large, new code base.

Dean,
How clean does your software uninstall - ie: if I installed your trial, and wanted to uninstall it - is that clean?
I haven't tried yours yet but might.
Thanx

It's completely clean. No files get installed outside of the CQC directory. It makes one small registry entry, and installs a service (which indirectly creates a registry entry) but the actually service program files all live within the CQC directory. So when you run the uninstaller, it just has to remove the start menu items, that one little registry entry, stop the service, and remove the service entry. That completely removes it without any side effects or residual files and you can just delete the directory.

hijacked.gif

Sorry about that eric.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic: Open Source Home Automation Software

I certainly didn't mean to imply that you should stick with HS and only write plugins for it. I merely took exception to one of your statements about plugins. You said that you need to pay for plugins to get functionality. I do not agree with this (in general). Nor do I like the current state of plugins in HS and where things are headed.

Some of the issues that I think are important in any new development (and these have been mentioned before):

1) scripting - It should be extendable by the end user without requiring the purchase of a compiler (or even downloading and figuring out a free one from MS - these are not always the most straightforward for people with limited experience). There is no way you (or a plugin developer) can think of everything. Even if an end-user only writes simple scripts that are triggered by events, scripting is still a tremendously powerful tool. I have very few events in HS that do not run a script of some sort (i.e., just turning on a light and saying a canned statement just isn't enough).

2) client/server - separating the main functionality from the user interface is important. HS is moving toward this in 2.0, but they are emphasizing the web interface only. I actually do almost all my setup using the native interface in the current version of HS. I use plenty of web pages, but they are my own pages and not those created by HS. Something similar to the native interface, but running as a client and on any machine (include the server machine, of course) is very useful. The web interface can also be convenient at times. Allowing multiple links into the server is a good thing.

3) web server - I like idea of a built-in web server like HS uses. It is very simple to use and it's there without needing to install anything else. I am not a big fan of IIS. It has security problems (and plenty of malicious people looking for them), it only runs on/comes with certain versions of Windows, and installing it can cause funny things to happen to your machine. Downloading and installing something like Apache is beyond many (most?) potential users. While I am technically capable of handling it, I just don't have the time. I am able to do everything I need and most of what I want using the HS server and html/asp pages.

4) communications - Communications between processes, machines, and devices are critical. I think a well thought out and easy to use set of functions for TCP and UDP communications are critical, should be built into the core, and should be accessable to scripting. I think UDP is important because even though it's not as reliable, it is easy to implement in remote devices and many off-the-shelf interfaces use it.

I'm sure as I think about it more, I'll come up with more stuff.

As you can see, though, I've really emphasized scripting. I think this is vital to any open project like this. Not only does it allow end users to quickly implement things that the original developers or plugin authors don't think of, but it also encourages an open, friendly environment were people help each other. Anyone who has used HS for a while and been involved with the forum knows the way things used to be before the advent of for-pay plugins. I'm not saying that the plugins are directly responsible for the changes, but they did come about at the same time.

Certainly, with compiled but open-source plugins, you can have a similar community. But, it will probably be much smaller than one that can also develop based on scripts.

Hi eveyone in this post!

I have got 8 AM12 of x10 product, instead of using Active home i want to make a simple application that will enable be to control each of the AM12 from a keystroke in the numeric key pad.

For eg. Numeric key "1" will enable AM12 "1"
Numeric key "2" will enable AM12 "2" and close all other conections that are open

If you can develop this application or anyone else can takeup this project please let me know.

Regards
brijesh
[email protected]

I have got 8 AM12 of x10 product, instead of using Active home i want to make a simple application that will enable be to control each of the AM12 from a keystroke in the numeric key pad.

An easy way to do this would be to download the CM11a Active X control from the Homeseer web site (its free) and use Visual Basic to perform the functions mentioned above.

Back