Outdoor IP Camera Choices

Sacedog

I really would like ot use IP cameras for my surrveillance system in the new house, but I am getting a lot of flak from my wife over the size of the enclosures (and I tend to agree with her).

There are many bullet cameras available, that can be mounted in an outdoor UL Wet location, without any type of enclosure (such as the Leviton VSOUT-W). Are there any IP cameras out there that do not require a big honking enclosure when mounted outside?

As for the indoor cameras, I think I am going to try Axis' new camera. It's a super low-profile dome:

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_209fd/index.htm

They released a version of this camera for busses earlier this year (209 FD-R), which I was intrested in. It was just more money than I wanted to spend, as it was built to be very rugged for use on busses. This one should be less money, and is really attractive for an indoor IP camera IMO.

I dont' think there are a lot of choices for outdoor IP cameras, yet alone low light ones so I went with Axis Video Servers (Axis 241Q and Axis 2400) instead and use conventional low light bullet cameras with them.

I am experimenting (well about to) with an outdoor Panasonic Pan Tilt Camera. They are not cheap but they seem pretty decent so far when I have played with them inside.

I am very happy with my Panasonic units but they are low light units NOT IR no-light units. You have to have some motion sensors to trigger some lights if you want to see at night. Good temperature ratings and fairly small. Also self contained so I don't have to worry about a PC going down and leaving me blind!

Look at vandal domes, whats your budget?

I would look at a 209MFD but still these are indoor cameras.

bang:buck analog still owns, the technology to compress video just kinda sucks when it's made small enough to fit inside a camera. I'm sure BSR noticed just a stream has higher quality then the cameras, it's bigger and thats all it does. Still most of this is at NTSC/VGA quality from that stand analog is soo much cheaper with soo much more performance IP isn't considered. This reverses on sites with 1000000 feet but for residential it's a not ready.

I suggest you use baluns and Cat5 then go through a DVR that will provide the MJPEG stream for integration purposes. More performance about the same money, ask IVB he may not have the best cameras available but he can record whats needed and stream for integration into CQC The higher quality the camera the better up to megapixel. When that technology becomes reasonable in price.

Thats the only reason I bag on Axis, the bang:buck ratio is worse then that of Bosch which says alot.

Look at vandal domes, whats your budget?

Well, I have looked at them, the problem is that all the ones I have seen are so large, and look like they belong in a commercial installation. I haven't set a budget yet...I'm still trying to figure out what I want/need. I'm willing to pay for a decent quality, decent looking outdoor camera, but probably not much more than $500 per camera. I will be installing 4-6 outdoor cameras, and a couple of indoor cameras. In addition to that, I will be looking at a DVR too, and am hoping to get in under $1k for that.

3 of the outdoor cameras will be for covering doors, so I could potentially put these cameras indoors, and pointed toward the doors. I was hoping to get some additional outdoor coverage near the doors, however. The problem with the outdoor locations though, is that I do not have eves on the house (only about 8" - 9" of overhang).

Edit...you were editing your post as I was typing mine. ;) I would prefer to use Cat5 to provide signal and power. I would rather not run RG59/18-2 in addition to the Cat5.

I'm sure you can get better bang for the buck thanPanasonic but for under $500 per camera I got:

A low temperature outdoor camera (required in this climate and already tested down to 15 degrees last week)

Very small form factor so no hassles about putting them up.

Immediately usable from any PC (I may get around to doing a server someday but for now I can just use them as they are out of the box).

I really do like and use the PTZ even though the zoom is digital.

Supported by Elk RM so I have that integration path available if I want to use it.

The microphone is also cool to help me notice when something is happening so I know to look up at the screen.

These are about as plug-and-play as it gets

I was thinking about IP cams myself, but as most people suggest to do it 'right' you really need a dvr. With a IP cams, don't you have have to make a dvr out of a pc? I was hoping to have one of those dedicated camera dvrs but I don't think they support IP cams (at least not the affordable ones), do they?

I was thinking about IP cams myself, but as most people suggest to do it 'right' you really need a dvr. With a IP cams, don't you have have to make a dvr out of a pc? I was hoping to have one of those dedicated camera dvrs but I don't think they support IP cams (at least not the affordable ones), do they?

DVR/NVR = PC or PC software on an integrated circuit board with a VCR style case.

Nowdays it is usually just an integrated motherboard and a linux OS. Some newer units have XPe on them and they can sometimes although rarely support IP cameras. It takes horsepower to actually take advantage of IP cameras, especially megapixel (which are the only units worthwhile right now). More then comes on these integrated boards. Then you run into storage problems as those devices usually don't support much as far as storage goes.

Actually I do have access to a new NVR that:

Has a RTOS, Linus but actually realtime.
Directly supports IP cameras
Supports an IIRC 250GB HDD

They are not QCed yet so I don't actually sell them, right now only demo units are available and I didn't/haven't gotten one. I do have a good friend with one though.

Just plug the "small" cameras of your choice into a DVR that has a built in server. Records motion plus give you access to the via the net.

Just noticed the temp is down to 8 degrees and the Panasonic IP cameras are still looking good. I'm happy that they are living up to their outdoor specs!

I have had a Panasonic BB-HCM331A for well over a year now and it has been great. It is mounted were a coach lamp would be at the front door. Most people have not even noticed it. With its tilt/pan I can see the whole front porch and out to the street.

8 degrees at 6:28 PM, now I remember why I moved from Buffalo to North Carolina :eek:

Mike, you must be one tough dude!

Just noticed the temp is down to 8 degrees and the Panasonic IP cameras are still looking good. I'm happy that they are living up to their outdoor specs!

Back