PCS Launches PulseWorx Generation II Lighting Controls

Preface: I don't own any lighting control products right now but i'm trying to find one for the house i'm half way done building.

Does UPB only sell dimmers? I don't seem to find any plane jane relay type rockers. We have ~120 can lights in our house which will only get the new flourescent style bulbs to save money and they don't dim so no point having a dimmer.

Does UPB work with fans okay?

How does UPB work in a house that has two 200A panels coming in from the street? Can devices on one 200A panel talk to devices on the other? I'm guessing this is something fixed in GenII????

Local code requires switches that light up when off for the top and bottom of stairs. can UPB fill that requirement?

Does UPB work on 3-way and 4-way circuits?

If i'm posting in the wrong spot let me know.

Kyle

No, the only device I know of that does nothing for Gen I devices is the repeater. The repeater only works for Gen II devices and is transparent for Gen I devices. PIM's, TEC's, etc. are all compatible with Gen I and Gen II devices. Gen II devices just give you a lot of new features, auto shut off, blue LED's, ability to control signal level, quicker response time, etc. Don't throw away your Gen I devices.

Kyle:

UPB switches can be configured for dimming or just plain on and off. I use UPB switches for fans. There are several flavors of phase coupling devices that should work. Do you have two separate meters or just two separate 200 amp panels? UPB switches have LED's that you can program for different situations. 3 or 4 way switches can become 10 or 20 way switches.

I've had a Gen II TEC for about 4 months. The only difference in appearance is the blue LED. I'm sure links will be available very soon.

For instance, you can set the threshold for noise tolerance

Can someone explain how this feature works. Are they saying the signal can be increased when noise is present. Why wouldn't the signal be a strong as possible all the time?

Very likely if you have two panels, outside of the house they are connected together before the meters. The UPB signal will very likely find this connection and jump to the other panel. Even if that connection is at the transformer it may still work (depending on distance etc).

Of course if you put Filtering in place to lock down your system from a neighbor's system, then placement of that filter may change the game.

Very likely if you have two panels, outside of the house they are connected together before the meters. The UPB signal will very likely find this connection and jump to the other panel. Even if that connection is at the transformer it may still work (depending on distance etc).

Of course if you put Filtering in place to lock down your system from a neighbor's system, then placement of that filter may change the game.

as far as i know, there are no specialized filters that can go outside your panels to block outside upb noise/communications. are there generic ones that would block any noise, including upb noise?

It would be nice to know if existing UPB controllers would be able to communicate with the Gen II devices.
Gen I and Gen II will work fine together and are fully compatible with each other.

Gen II though has a few additional features. For instance, you can set the threshold for noise tolerance, has quicker tap, blue LEDs, timed shutoff on regular switches, blind link capable, top rocker max out, tap transmit only ability, better tracking on keypad LEDs, chirping capability (Jan maybe - not sure if it made it in the first pass), keypad lockout capability just to name a few.

The PCS Gen II stuff is on order and should be in stock about the end of the week and on our site by Wednesday.

Pricing initially will be the same but will increase slightly on some items November 15th.

Downloading the latest UPStart now indicates many 'timed' devices. My question - do the timed devices send a OFF status upon time out? Thanks!

Downloading the latest UPStart now indicates many 'timed' devices. My question - do the timed devices send a OFF status upon time out? Thanks!
I just spoke to PCS for you and they said yes. The Gen II timed device can also send an off command to other devices.

Does anybody know if Gen II stuff is any thinner than Gen I? One thing Insteon still has over everyone else is that they seem to be the only switch that will fit into a medium depth wiremold box.

Back