Phase coupler question.

mrshanes

I'm finally getting around to doing some lighting automation and I've decided to go with Simply Automated UPB. I'm a little confused about phase couplers and thought everyone here could help me out. Their website states the following:

"To ensure both phases communicate with each other, especially in homes greater than 2500 sq. ft, we highly recommend you install a Phase Coupler in the main breaker panel (and sub-panels if you have a larger home)."

My home is about 5000 sq ft and I have 200 amp service, but it's split in two sub-panels. Does this mean I would need two phase couplers? I also have a 100 amp sub-panel in my pool house. If I do lighting automation there, would I need a third coupler?

What's the best way to do this?

Thanks,
Shane

The phase couple bridges the two 120V legs so everything can communicate.

How are your panels wired?
Does the service enter the house at one panel and that panel feed the other two?
Is the pool panel branched off the main panels?

If that is the case then you will only need one phase coupler.

I have a 200A main panel with a 100A breaker that feeds a 100A sub panel in my shop and I am using a single coupler.

I would just install the switches first and see if you have any issues. I have a total of 4 panels in my house - 1 pool sub panel and 2 sub panels. They all branch off of each other, through the main panel and I have switches running off each (except the pool) with no phase couplers in my 8k sq ft house. Sometimes I get interference from my 220v central vacuum but only if someone is using it at the time. You can always go back and add if/when you isolate a problem. I probably only have 20 or 25 devices though.

The phase couple bridges the two 120V legs so everything can communicate.

How are your panels wired?
Does the service enter the house at one panel and that panel feed the other two?
Is the pool panel branched off the main panels?

If that is the case then you will only need one phase coupler.

I have a 200A main panel with a 100A breaker that feeds a 100A sub panel in my shop and I am using a single coupler.

The service enters into the house and is immediately split into the two 200A panels (no branching). The pool sub-panel is fed from a 100A breaker from one of these two. I guess I can connect a few switches and see how it behaves.
Thanks

A coupler in the panel that has the pool sub panel (or in the pool sub panel itself) will tie those two together.
If the two 200A panels never tie into one another you're beyond my knowledge level.

But, assuming they ran twin service feeds from the hand hole (proper nomenclature?) to your 200A service panels, and each leg is terminated at the same lug in the hand hole, then the two legs should be tied together at the hand hole.
So as single coupler may be all you need.

I would install a switch on each leg of the two 200A panels, 4 switches total, and a single phase coupler in the panel with the pool sub panel, then fireup UPStart and do a signal test to see if everything is talking across the panels.

A coupler in the panel that has the pool sub panel (or in the pool sub panel itself) will tie those two together.
If the two 200A panels never tie into one another you're beyond my knowledge level.

But, assuming they ran twin service feeds from the hand hole (proper nomenclature?) to your 200A service panels, and each leg is terminated at the same lug in the hand hole, then the two legs should be tied together at the hand hole.
So as single coupler may be all you need.

I would install a switch on each leg of the two 200A panels, 4 switches total, and a single phase coupler in the panel with the pool sub panel, then fireup UPStart and do a signal test to see if everything is talking across the panels.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

Back