phone line and ADT

v1rtu0s1ty

ok folks, I got a call from ADT. What? Found out that my wife called them. LOL. Anyways, of course I need to be respectful. He asked what phone line I will have in the new house. I told them that it's Comcast. And he said, oh no, you're in trouble. It's not going to work.

So guys, is there anyone here who is using Comcast's digital phone with their ELK system? Problem is, when I talk to Comcast staff, they don't know what their digital telelphone is. I ask them if it's VOIP and they say, they don't know. Frickin Comcast. LOL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have Comcast phone service (over the cable TV network). I do have an Elk M1. I do not have ADT. However, my Elk has no problem grabbing the line and calling me when an alarm condition exists. My next door neighbor has Comcast phone service and does have ADT, works fine last long time.

Just data points to add to the soup.

Spanky, have you heard anything about this?

Comcast has two diffrent types of service. One I had for a few years is just your basic analog phone setup that hits an A->D convertor and sends the data over the cable line (I beleive they call this digital phone). And then they have a second service which is VOIP.

Ok, yep, it's not VOIP. Glad to hear that it works. So, can you give me guys some background as to what type of signal is sent to the monitoring company? It will help me in the future for troubleshooting.

Thanks folks! :)

v1rtu0s1ty said:
Ok, yep, it's not VOIP. Glad to hear that it works. So, can you give me guys some background as to what type of signal is sent to the monitoring company? It will help me in the future for troubleshooting.

Thanks folks! :)
I posted this in the other forum.....

Here is another one.....since most of us have our elk connected to the ethernet module...add a switch if that is the only CAT5 wire coming in and for 9.99 get a separate vonage line...500 incming and 500 outgoing minutes, connect the connection to line straight to the elk. Add $9 for security monitoring services and you don't have to pay the 39.99 that you used to pay ADT. Plus this way the intruder could do all he wants to the phone lines outside and inside the house.

this way the intruder will have to cut the cable outside for you to lose the connection.

Back