Please check this list I am getting for the Elk/isy994i/insteon system for my home

Pcarfan

Thanks to all the help here, I have my house wired for the following. CAT 6 cables for all keypad, wireless transceiver locations. All the sensor wires etc. I will be moving in about 4-6 wks, I just purcahsed a list of things. Can someone please let me know whether I am missing anything. I am also certain, putting this list out there will help others in the future.

1 128301D INSTEON-Compatible Elk M1 Gold Kit and ISY-994i with Dual-Band INSTEON Interface (Hot Deal!)    
1 1283XEP Elk M1XEP M1 Ethernet Port Expander and Interface    
1 12835 Elk M1XIN M1 16-Zone Input Expander    
1 12832 Elk M1DBH M1 Databus Hub    
1 72849 Elk ELK-M1XRFTW Two-Way Wireless Transceiver / Expander (Hot Deal!)    
1 72841 ELK Products ELK-PD9 Power Distribution Module 9x 250mA    
1 72820 ELK ELK-P212S Supervised Remote Power Supply 12 VDC    
1 30631 16.5V 45VA TRANSFORMER    
5 72846 Elk ELK-6020 Two-Way Wireless Slim Line Door and Window Sensor (Hot Deal!)    
10 2477DIV SwitchLinc Dimmer - INSTEON Remote Control Dimmer (Dual-Band), Ivory (Hot Deal!)    
2 2477DBK SwitchLinc Dimmer - INSTEON Remote Control Dimmer (Dual-Band), Black (Hot Deal!)    
1 1626-10 FilterLinc 10-Amp Plug-In Noise Filter    
1 128302 Elk Products M1KPNAV 3.5-inch Navigator LCD Touchscreen    
1 1298 Elk ELK-952 In-Line Telephone Surge Protector    
1 1288S Battery Shelf for Structured Wiring Panel - Elk SWS    
1 2334-233 INSTEON Keypad Dimmer Switch (Dual-Band), 6-Button, Ivory (Hot Deal!)    
1 2334-236 INSTEON Keypad Dimmer Switch (Dual-Band), 6-Button, Black (Hot Deal!)    
1 2335-222 INSTEON 6-Button Scene Control Keypad with Tabletop Enclosure, White (Hot Deal!)        

The above items are already bought. 20% off this this wknd.

I am also getting the following

1) UPS
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBK3QK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
 This might be better
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N19W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

2) These motion sensors (4 of them)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056Z3W6I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1GO776JZJGBGT

3) These indoor sirens (2 of them)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016LJWPG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ALZYDHGPLQNLD

4) These Glass break sensors (5 of them)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016L6JB6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ALZYDHGPLQNLD

5)Extra battery
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HB03MM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ALZYDHGPLQNLD

6) Adapter plate for the PD9
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HN1JBU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1HNADWC9LB2S7

7) I also got these Dolphin connectors and donut grommets. I have no idea how to use them. It was suggested here, and I would appreciate if someone tells me exactly how to use this. I am an extreme newbie.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HN1JBU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1HNADWC9LB2S7
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N0UN7G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1HNADWC9LB2S7

8) I also got some 2200 ohm resistors from ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-x-2-2K-Ohm-1-4W-5-Carbon-Film-Resistor-FREE-2-5-DAY-SHIPPING-100pcs-2200-/251370248474?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a86d5991a

9) Needed this Elk-M1KPAS KEYPAD arming station for the foyer
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LGZ2QA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ALZYDHGPLQNLD

The 14" can that comes with the M1 is pretty small; a 28" is a much better fit even when keeping security isolated.  

I saw the extra P212S power supply and AC transformer but I didn't see an enclosure or battery for it.  If you get the 28" for the primary the 14" make a good subpanel can.

You can use Out3 for the piezos but may want some relays for other stuff too.

BraveSirRobbin said:

I've looked at this, but wasn't interested in it. Thanks!
I have more than one vehicle and I don't want to carry it around with my keys. Besides I really don't have to arm disarm from my car. As I should be able to turn lights ON and OFF with my iphone, I'd rather do that. Am I missing something in this thought process?

The schematic you gave me a few months ago is tremendously helpful.

P.S: I am able to quote posts in firefox but not internet explorer. (I see you are a moderator)

Work2Play said:
The 14" can that comes with the M1 is pretty small; a 28" is a much better fit even when keeping security isolated.  

I saw the extra P212S power supply and AC transformer but I didn't see an enclosure or battery for it.  If you get the 28" for the primary the 14" make a good subpanel can.

You can use Out3 for the piezos but may want some relays for other stuff too.

Great idea. I will get the 28" can as well.

What components in the list above do you think will go in the 14" can for a clean setup?

There is a list of things I put below what I had already purchased at smarthome. Item #5 there is the extra battery (1280) for the P212S. What kind of enclosure would I need for it? Do you mean the can?, so If I have the 28" and 14", will that be enough?

Item #6 is the adapter plate for the PD9. Will I need another Battery shelf ?(http://www.smarthome.com/1288S/Battery-Shelf-for-Structured-Wiring-Box-Elk-SWS/p.aspx) for the extra battery?

What relays do I need (what is a relay, anyways ? , sry for the newbie question).....I am going off this schematic 'BraveSirRobbin' gave to me. Could you tell me where the realy goes in this schematic?

Thanks!
11150201434_f974eb02af_o.jpg

Also, can someone tell me in layman's term what the Dolphin connectors and donut grommets do to clean up the setup?

Having just implemented an Insteon ISY994i into my existing Elk M1 Gold / Hometroller / X-10 / zWave HA system, here are my suggestions:

1. Get the ISY994i PRO 
2. Purchase the Elk integration module ($99) for the ISY994i
3. Use the Elk for security monitoring and the ISY884i for lighting (what each does best)
4. Purchase newer generation dual band Insteon products wherever possible
5. Purchase Mobilinc for iPhone or Android access to ISY994i
6. Get the 8 button KeypadLinc Model 2334-222 rather than the 6 button.

I retired my HomeTroller running HSPro.  I eliminated zWave completely.  I have virtually eliminated X-10 (2 modules left).
The Wiki and Forums at www.universal-devices.com have been very helpful.

Consider Insteon modules such as Lamplinc, ApplianceLinc, I/O Linc (Sensor and Relay), RemoteLinc, RemoteLinc2, Motion Sensor, etc. for all needs.
Insteon's mesh network works where X-10 failed and allows me to eliminate zWave as well.

Insteon modules are pricey compared to X-10 but the initial cost is readily justified in light of the capabilities.

Enjoy your new system.

whlatimer said:
Having just implemented an Insteon ISY994i into my existing Elk M1 Gold / Hometroller / X-10 / zWave HA system, here are my suggestions:

1. Get the ISY994i PRO 
2. Purchase the Elk integration module ($99) for the ISY994i
3. Use the Elk for security monitoring and the ISY884i for lighting (what each does best)
4. Purchase newer generation dual band Insteon products wherever possible
5. Purchase Mobilinc for iPhone or Android access to ISY994i

I retired my HomeTroller running HSPro.  I eliminated zWave completely.  I have virtually eliminated X-10 (2 modules left).
The Wiki and Forums at www.universal-devices.com have been very helpful.

Consider Insteon modules such as Lamplinc, ApplianceLinc, I/O Linc (Sensor and Relay), RemoteLinc, RemoteLinc2, Motion Sensor, etc. for all needs.
Insteon's mesh network works where X-10 failed and allows me to eliminate zWave as well.

Insteon modules are pricey compared to X-10 but the initial cost is readily justified in light of the capabilities.

Enjoy your new system.

I've alraedy got the basic ISY994i...however, the universal devices website says "Standard ISY994i is field upgradeable to ISY994i PRO to support additional devices/scenes". So, if I need to I think I should be able to upgrade it.

I've heard of needing to buy the Elk integration module for the ISY994i. How exactly do I do this? Is this a software upgrade that I can purchase once I hook up ISY994i and Elk?

I definitely need to control this with my iphone. Is Mobilinc the best for this?

Thank you!

P.S: I also got the Venstar thermostats http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AVRB1Q/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Will these work vis mobilinc as well?

Pcarfan said:
I've alraedy got the basic ISY994i...however, the universal devices website says "Standard ISY994i is field upgradeable to ISY994i PRO to support additional devices/scenes". So, if I need to I think I should be able to upgrade it.

I've heard of needing to buy the Elk integration module for the ISY994i. How exactly do I do this? Is this a software upgrade that I can purchase once I hook up ISY994i and Elk?

I definitely need to control this with my iphone. Is Mobilinc the best for this?

Thank you!

P.S: I also got the Venstar thermostats http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AVRB1Q/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Will these work vis mobilinc as well?

Once you have the ISY994i up and running, under Help, choose Purchase Modules.  You pay online and the module is downloaded to the ISY994 from UD.
MobiLInc seems to be the clear favorite, even with a $20 pricetag.  I do NOT have HVAC control so check with MobiLinc as to how t-stats are controlled.

Consider the 8 button KeypadLinc 2334-222 and replace a wall switch with it in a readily observable area.  You can monitor and control multiple devices on the 7 extra buttons.  The #1 button controls the light that the wall switch previoulsy did, with dimming.

I saw your question about what relays are used for.  As an example, consider the standard wall-mounted garage door controller.  If you press it, that activates the opener/closer and the door changes position.  The controller is connected via two wires to the opener.  If you connect a relay to the wire posts on back of the door controler using two wires, the relay would function the same way, making the door change position whenever the relay was activated.  The difference is the ISY994i can issue the command to the relay.

The I/O Linc 2450 Sensor / Relay module can be used as either a sensor, a relay or both. Using the sensor portion, the ISY994 will always know if the garage door is up or down.  You can create a program to close the garage door after dark IF it were open by activating the relay; that same program can send you an email confirming the door is closed. You can use Mobilinc to check the door status and change it if necessary.  You can program one of the buttons on the KeypadLinc to light up when the door is open and activate the relay if you press the button on the KeypadLinc. The possibilities are nearly endless.  Insteon is a wonderful thing.

Whlatimer

Thank you for the explanation, including that of the relay. But, Work2Play said "You can use Out3 for the piezos but may want some relays for other stuff too.". So, how do I use a relay for the piezos? I assume I will use the piezos to scream if zones are violated. Why would I need a relay there? (What do I need to buy to run these relays?)

I didn't realize the 8 button KeypadLinc can monitor devices, which would be handy.

I assume all I need is the "Elk M1XEP M1 Ethernet Port Expander and Interface" to access Homelinc. I hope it would be self explanatory when I get into assembling all of this on exactly How I access Homelinc.

I've read the manuals and web videos multiple times a few months ago. I will go through them again before putting these all together....I am sooo excited.

as whlatimer said, a relay is basically an electronic switch.  You supply power and it switches a set of terminals.  In the case of the Piezo's you need a way to programmatically switch power on and off so the one built in Form C contact for Output 3 will do that.  The "interior siren" wiring positions are for speakers so they can speak the voices - so the piezo's have to be handled on your own via rules.

Other uses for relays - garage doors (as mentioned above), strobes, buzzers (good for garage as warning), sprinklers, halloween decorations, etc.

Pcarfan said:
Whlatimer

Thank you for the explanation, including that of the relay. But, Work2Play said "You can use Out3 for the piezos but may want some relays for other stuff too.". So, how do I use a relay for the piezos? I assume I will use the piezos to scream if zones are violated. Why would I need a relay there? (What do I need to buy to run these relays?)

I didn't realize the 8 button KeypadLinc can monitor devices, which would be handy.

I assume all I need is the "Elk M1XEP M1 Ethernet Port Expander and Interface" to access Homelinc. I hope it would be self explanatory when I get into assembling all of this on exactly How I access Homelinc.

I've read the manuals and web videos multiple times a few months ago. I will go through them again before putting these all together....I am sooo excited.

Pcarfan: Yes you need the Elk M1XEP for network access to the M1 Gold panel via eithernet, either hardwired RJ45 or wireless bridge, e.g. Linksys WET610N.  The Elk software M1EXP Utility is useful for determining the IP address the M1EXP is assigned and the ElkRP2 software lets you access the M1 Gold and configure as required.  As I recall, both software programs are no-charge but you have to register your M1 with Elk to get access to the download area on their website.  The ISY994i Elk interface requires the M1EXP and access credentials (passcode) to communicate with the Elk M1.  

You might consider an ELK-SP12F Flush Mount speaker to position in another location away from the M1.  With that, you'll be able to "hear" not only alarms but a succession of spoken words from the Elk, e.g. "Garage" "Door" "Open" or "Motion" "Detected".  The Insteon Elk module can make the M1 "speak" any of the words in its vocabulary in response to any time of day schedule and/or condition the ISY994 is aware of.  The ISY994i is always monitoring all the zones on the M1 and can react when any zone is violated.  My hat is off to Universal Devices for such an amazing piece of engineering!

Enjoy your new system; you have chosen very well my friend.

Pcarfan said:
Also, can someone tell me in layman's term what the Dolphin connectors and donut grommets do to clean up the setup?

There are knockouts in the 14" and 28" cans that allow you to run wires into the can.  The grommets are used to line the rough metal edges of the can after the knockout is removed.   This protects the wires from scraping on the metal, possibly creating shorts.

The Dolphin connectors (also called B-connectors) are used to splice wires together.  Mostly, you will use them when connecting a cable to a wired contact or other device that has pigtail leads.  Also use them to connect to sections of cable together when it isn't possible to pull one continuous length of cable.  Or, when someone accidentally cuts a cable and you need to splice it back together.

RAL said:
There are knockouts in the 14" and 28" cans that allow you to run wires into the can.  The grommets are used to line the rough metal edges of the can after the knockout is removed.   This protects the wires from scraping on the metal, possibly creating shorts.

The Dolphin connectors (also called B-connectors) are used to splice wires together.  Mostly, you will use them when connecting a cable to a wired contact or other device that has pigtail leads.  Also use them to connect to sections of cable together when it isn't possible to pull one continuous length of cable.  Or, when someone accidentally cuts a cable and you need to splice it back together.
Thank you. The grommets makes complete sense.

So, in regards to the M1 board. Will the dolphin connectors slide over where the 2-condutor and 4-conductor wires attaches on the board? or will it only be used near any device that also has wires, so when both wires are twisted together these Dolphin connectors could be slid over the joint?

whlatimer said:
Pcarfan: Yes you need the Elk M1XEP for network access to the M1 Gold panel via eithernet, either hardwired RJ45 or wireless bridge, e.g. Linksys WET610N.  The Elk software M1EXP Utility is useful for determining the IP address the M1EXP is assigned and the ElkRP2 software lets you access the M1 Gold and configure as required.  As I recall, both software programs are no-charge but you have to register your M1 with Elk to get access to the download area on their website.  The ISY994i Elk interface requires the M1EXP and access credentials (passcode) to communicate with the Elk M1.  

You might consider an ELK-SP12F Flush Mount speaker to position in another location away from the M1.  With that, you'll be able to "hear" not only alarms but a succession of spoken words from the Elk, e.g. "Garage" "Door" "Open" or "Motion" "Detected".  The Insteon Elk module can make the M1 "speak" any of the words in its vocabulary in response to any time of day schedule and/or condition the ISY994 is aware of.  The ISY994i is always monitoring all the zones on the M1 and can react when any zone is violated.  My hat is off to Universal Devices for such an amazing piece of engineering!

Enjoy your new system; you have chosen very well my friend.

Thank you!

I don't have any wires run for the speaker. However, I do have CAT 6 cables for the keypad in the room. I don't think the keypad will use all the CAT6 wires, so could I use some of the extra wires for the speaker. If zones are violated it will be nice to hear it too.

Will either the Elk M1KPNAV keypad or the ELK-M1KP2 / ELK-M1KP3 keypad that comes with the package have speakers that can sound those elk voices?

Back