poor man's garden sprinkler

v1rtu0s1ty

Hi folks,

I was at the point of buying a garden hose timer that I can connect to the faucet outside. This way, I can set a time and day where it would open up the valve and water goes thru.

Since I have an ELK system, I would like to utilize it. I would like to let ELK do the scheduling or automation just like the timer above. However, I am not aware of any inexpensive valve that I can connect to my faucet and that can also be controlled by ELK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil,

We have used a standard sprinkler valve 24V with hose connections on the ends, run it off the Elk relays and powered by a 24V transformer. Valve, Menards $13.00 Transformer, ADI $7.00 Connections, Ace Hardware $4.00 Elk MG1, PRICELESS

Neil,

We have used a standard sprinkler valve 24V with hose connections on the ends, run it off the Elk relays and powered by a 24V transformer. Valve, Menards $13.00 Transformer, ADI $7.00 Connections, Ace Hardware $4.00 Elk MG1, PRICELESS

Do you know whether you can connect any sprinkler valve to an ELK in that manner? Is there anything proprietary with the sprinkler controllers, or do they simply send/not send power to the valve?

For example, could the following work?
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol...lve-p/2400s.htm

And here's a slightly higher price option:
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(uyerkuum...;Source=froogle

I use those same valves, but use an appliance module to control them. I will be switching it to the Elk M1 soon as well, but this is definitely easy and affordable.

Neil,

This is a great news! However, I'm a bit lost. :unsure:

Where do I buy the standard sprinkler valve 24V with hose connections?
Do I need to buy something for my ELK? I don't know if I have a relay. I don't think I really have it because I remember when I first install my ELK, it was all for security monitoring.

What is ADI?

I also got lost when you mentioned, Ace Hardware $4.00 Elk MG1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I can't wait to start this project again. :lol:

You can buy sprinkler valves at Lowes or Home Depot or most any other hardware store- they usually have a whole section. I had to buy adapters to get from the sprinkler-type connections to hose threads. (plumbing section)

You can buy sprinkler valves at Lowes or Home Depot or most any other hardware store- they usually have a whole section. I had to buy adapters to get from the sprinkler-type connections to hose threads. (plumbing section)

Sorry folks, I'm more of a visual type of person. So, how do I connect each one of it? I see on the picture of the sprinkler valvce posted above, there are 2 wires. I'm assuming this will connect to the ELK M1. But what about the transformer? Or do you guys have a picture of the diagram? This will help me a lot.

Oh, is there any HOWTO for it?

As the title of the post was "Poor Mans" garden sprinkler, I can toss an idea in :unsure:

I used a electric valve from an old washing machine to water the plants on the patio. When supplied with 110V the valve opens, when no voltage it closes. It has standard hose connectors on either side (Male on one side, female on the other) I just hooked it up with an appliance module and was good to go. Either find an old washing machine, or go to a repair shop, and you could probably buy one for a couple of dollars.

The valve has been a very reliable and very cheap solution for me at least:)

As the title of the post was "Poor Mans" garden sprinkler, I can toss an idea in :unsure:

I used a electric valve from an old washing machine to water the plants on the patio. When supplied with 110V the valve opens, when no voltage it closes. It has standard hose connectors on either side (Male on one side, female on the other) I just hooked it up with an appliance module and was good to go. Either find an old washing machine, or go to a repair shop, and you could probably buy one for a couple of dollars.

The valve has been a very reliable and very cheap solution for me at least:)

I think, I will go with the valve being sold at Ace Hardware. Or later, I can go to either Home Depot or Lowes and ask about it.

For my earlier question which I think, I don't have an answer yet. Do I need to buy a card or something for the ELK M1 side? Or can I hook it up directly to the M1 input holes like how I connected my window sensors, motion sensors and so on? Then just create a rule for it.

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks for the idea. I will do this.

I use those same valves, but use an appliance module to control them. I will be switching it to the Elk M1 soon as well, but this is definitely easy and affordable.

I reread Dan's post again. Since I have ELK M1 Gold, I'm assuming it's not appliance module since he doesn't have ELK. What could be it?

Appliance module with a 24 VAC wall wart plugged into it. :unsure:

Good news. I went to Menards today and saw a 3/4" Sprinkler Valve. The brand is Orbit. I opened it and saw 2 wires. It cost $12.99. The guy told me that I have to buy a converter so I can connect my garden hose.

So, it's appliance module then. :lol: Forgive me, I have never seen one. Can someone please provide me a website link where I can buy an Appliance module with 24 VAC? Does automated outlet sell it or can I buy it locally? Where in my M1 should this get connected?

EDIT:

Am I correct that if I will buy 4 sprinkler valves, I also need 4 appliance module?

Thanks,

Neil

Ok folks, I now know what an appliance module is after searching our website. It's an X10 appliance module. Here is a link I found, http://www.x10.com/automation/am486_s.html

I'm confused. The sprinkler valve I saw earlier at Menards have two 22 gauge naked end wires. Now, this appliance module on the link above has a normal power outlet. That product is rated at 15 amps, 1/3 hp, 500 watts. I have a feeling, the link I posted above is incorrect for the sprinkler valve. And looks like the product also connects to a wall socket. Now, my ELK doesn't have to do anything. :unsure:

Neil;

I meant that you plug the 24 volt AC wall wart into the appliance module and control the valve that way. With the Elk you can just use the onboard relay, or use one of the outputs and drive an Elk small relay and control wall wart voltage that way.

Be aware that the valve (I'm assuming) needs 24 volts AC so you have to supply that source, then somehow switch it with your automation system using methods I described above.

Do you want to control one valve with your Elk? If so with what output? If not, with an appliance module/X-10.

If you give me some specifics I'll try to come up with a schematic to help you out

Back