Sprinkler system

BB22

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of installing a sprinkler system but before I got out to buy all the stuff I need I wanted to know how do I connect the system to my ELK? I would like to control it based on different rules I can write with the ELK. Is this recommended?

Do I need to buy any additional component to connect all to the ELK? Who would have a step by step to get this done

Thanks

I know of two ways to accomplish this, but there are probably more...

1) You can use an Elk relay board, either ELK-M1RB or ELK-M1XOVR, and connect directly to your sprinkler valves.

2) You can use a WGL Rain8 controller with the communication protocol of your choosing that would integrate with Elk (e.g. X10, RS232, UPB). The Pro models are obviously more but also offer local control at the controller to turn zones on/off.

I don't know if the ELK can control it, but I have an IrrigationCaddy, and am super happy with it. It's got a really nice interface, and it's pretty hackable, if you want to fiddle with it directly.

I use a M1XOVR in my pump house to control the sprinkler zones directly. Rules are based on time of day. I adjust the duration as the watering season advances, maybe three time a year. Haven't checked into adding a soil moisture sensor yet. Maybe in the future.

In the case of sprinklers and anything that "leaves" the house, it's a good idea to add surge protection or isolation relays to separate your security from the external items.

DELInstallations said:
In the case of sprinklers and anything that "leaves" the house, it's a good idea to add surge protection or isolation relays to separate your security from the external items.
I'd be more cautious and say don't do it. Protection or not, one lighting strike to a sprinkler head and its goodbye ELK. Get one of the other external solutions. Then your just replacing that device and not everything. 

Here have never connected my irrigation to my OmniPro 2 panel for that reason.

That said one lightning strike did trash my two Rain8Nets over the last 13 years. 

I have since protected these two devices and they have worked fine. 

Here started with a Rainbird vendor Rainbird installation.

Initially removed the Rainbird ESP controller (I had added wireless to it) and installed two serial controlled Rain8Nets.

I used a long serial cable (catxx) to the other side of the house and in to the communications closet.  (>100 feet?).

Software wise used mcsSprinklers that existed as a stand alone or a plugin for Homeseer.

Over the last few years the author of mcsSprinklers and a number of users (I was one) tested a linux mono version of the application.  I was playing a bit with the PogoPlug (had a few of these) and the Seagate dockstar debian devices.

Today you could get by with a RPi2 and a touchscreen for it on or inside of the rainbird box.  My only concern here is the use of an SD card for the OS and running software.  I have now seen an mSATA GPIO card for the RPi's that would be OK to use.

I do not like to use wireless for my automation but you could configure an RPi3 and wirelessly connect to the software to make adjustments.  I haven't touched the configuration of the software in many many years as it runs fine with no hand holding.

I personally like the new Intel micro PCs and this could work better than the RPi.  (easy m.2 sata drive configuration).

A while back here did install Ubuntu on my Chumby's and it ran fine (a bit slow) but you could probably configure a Chumby as your irrigation controller.  My OpenPeak Jogglers / tabletop tablets would probably be better and faster with an integrated touchscreen.

Here is a picture of the tabletop running the touchscreen interface where you could also run the software. 

ubuntu-joggler.png

I upgraded my set up to running mcsSprinklers on a modded Seagate Dockstar running with two USB connected mini SSD drives.

It is all inside of the original Rainbird box and  has been running 24/7 with no glitches now for over 3 years.

It does today have external connections to my Davis Vantage Pro 2 via Cumulus, additional sensors via xAP,  WeatherUnderground, et al and works fine.  (I have one water meter attached for measuring irrigation and purchased but not installed a hard water switch for the irrigation lines).

I can remote control it via internal or external to my LAN interfaces.  It is not cloud dependent and mostly uses the weather station for ET calculations. 

Relating to the touchscreen interface I am currently using JPG drawings and can do live CCTV views of each of the 10 zones configured.

ano said:
I'd be more cautious and say don't do it. Protection or not, one lighting strike to a sprinkler head and its goodbye ELK. Get one of the other external solutions. Then your just replacing that device and not everything. 
You can do it, but you electrically isolate devices using relays.

Just posted this elsewhere on the board - a review for my new spruce system. Note that this is TOTALLY different than my old irrigation caddy in that it uses moisture sensors and upcoming weather forcasts:

I got a new irrigation controller from Spruce that includes moisture sensors that are put in the lawn.
It really is the next generation in irrigation. In April/May, my system has not watered for the last four weeks. Why? Every morning, I see an email saying that either we had rain yesterday, we had an inch of rain over the last week, or that rain is expected today. This is 1000% percent smarter than my old Hunter controller, and even my somewhat newer Irrigation Caddy home automation sprinkler system, because with Spruce, it looks at the current moisture with the sensors, but/and also looks at historical data and weather forecasts. This will save me a ton of money, AND ensure that the shrubs, flowers, and lawn get the right amount of water. Thanks Spruce! Check it out at www.spruceirrigation.com

I would use a ClickPLC if it were me.  They are cheap and have more flexibility than a dedicated irrigation controller.  Yeah sure you need to learn to use ladder logic, but that is not hard if you are already doing home automation.

I use two at home for automation tasks and irrigation is on the list for the next one (or integrated with the existing one in the house) when I get to that part of the project.  I mounted mine in an ELK enclosure - fits quite nicely.

ClickPLC @ Automation Direct

No, unfortunately not.

I was also now to ladder logic, but it is pretty straight forward.  There are some examples on the automationdirect web site that you may want ot go have a look at for inspiration as well.

Irrigation is pretty straight forward so it wont be hard to get something working.

Hey, to tangentially hijack the thread a little, what's the right kind of wire to put in the trenches?

I'll be having some yard work done soon and will likely have some sprinkler plumbing run.  I'm expecting to dislike whatever setup we start with, but want to avoid digging again in the future.  What's the right cable to pull to places valves might likely be installed?  I'd be using in-ground cabling, of course, and might possibly also put it in PVC conduit.  If just for belt-and-suspenders.

I had a Rainbird dealer install my original irrigation.  They used a solid core multicolored ~18 gauge with a heavy thick outdoor sheathing.   It was 16-20 wires and here used 12 zones plus voltage and Rainbird rain sensor.  The 12 port manifold was in a plastic box in a berm.  Long run going to the back of the house, inside the basement to the other side of the basement and up in to the garage.

Bill,   What Pete said on wire...  That's the standard stuff used for irrigation systems and comes in various number of conductors.  Some of the big box stores have it (limited selection).  I used conduit for some of mine but it isn't required.

Back