Prewiring: The tools

What other tools do i need? I read something about a flaring tool? Will this Paladin tool cut and strip as well? Sorry..pretty new to this...

The Paladin Seal-Tite just does the compression. I cut the coax with a common diagonal cutter. I use a tool from one of the big box home improvement stores for stripping; I think it had a Zenith package, but i've seen the same tool with other brand names. I've not used a flaring tool. I understand the purpose of the flaring tool is to pull the braid and foil from the central insulator to make it easier to insert the fitting. I haven't seen the need, especially with the SNS connectors. After compressing the fitting, I again use the diagonal cutter to chop off the center conductor about 1/8" past the fitting.

Is there actually a good 'how to' anywhere? I've never done a coax termination before...do you fold the braid/foil backwards before inserting the cable into the fitting??

Ok, it's almost time to get busy on this. I can terminate simple cat5 for now to get going, but I want to do my cat6 soon also. And then there's all the coax....

What sources do you guys recommend for lots of cat5e and especially cat6 terminations, both male and female (those female connectors seem especially hard to find, or when I did, they were like $4/apiece ;) )?

Also same with coax compression fittings. I've got the Paladin tool now, but I'm going to need a plethora of assorted connections....f conn, rca, BNC, etc.

I'm leaning towards telephone parts for the EZRJ45 crimper and male RJ45 connectors. But that still leaves the female connectors and F connectors.

"What sources do you guys recommend for lots of cat5e and especially cat6 terminations, both male and female (those female connectors seem especially hard to find, or when I did, they were like $4/apiece )?"

I bought most of my jacks and wall plates from Technical Connections http://technicalconnectionsinc.stores.yahoo.net/fa.html

They are certainly not the only game in town, but they had what I needed at a good price. Excellent service, too. Cat5e keystone jacks are $1.50. I have no use for male plugs. I terminated each run with the female keystone jacks in the field and to a patch panel at the wiring closet. I use commercial patch cables at each end to get to the equipment. I'll have a few Cat5 runs for my new Elk system, and I'll terminate them to their own tiny patch panel, a 4-port surface mount box loaded with keystone jacks. Again I'll use patch cables to get to the Elk's data bus hub.

If you don't want to pay cat6 prices, just pull the cat6 cable and terminate with inexpensive cat5e jacks. If you eventually need full cat6 specs for something, then replace the jacks with cat6 jacks just on the circuits that need it.

Hmm...I'm considering just getting the RJ45's with the inserts that line up the wires. Does anyone have anything particularly bad to say about those? The advantage of those is I can use my standards RJ45 crimper on them, right? And that way won't have to spring for a new fancy ezrj45 crimper.

Once you use an EZ45 there is no turning back. If you have alot to do, its worth every penny, nickel, dime or dollar - imho of course.

linesman pliers guarantee you can cut anything.

A good cat stripper is worth its weight in gold.

As far as the corded/cordless.. I have used a dewalt 14.4 hammer drill for 5 years. The batteries are finnally showing their age, but I have 2. I always put one in the charger while I am working. Swap when needed. I drill a section, pull, drill a section, pull.

Only time I thought a corded drill was nice was when we had to do fiber through cieling passes of a manufacturing plant and punch through 10 walls with 1' plus of concrete. The power and speed was just more convenient. However, for residential stuff, I love my little dewalt.

Also, EZ45, unless im wrong is to just ensure your jackets all the way up? You still have to line up the cables?

Or what am I missing?

Also, EZ45, unless im wrong is to just ensure your jackets all the way up? You still have to line up the cables?

Or what am I missing?

On the EZ45, the ends of the cable stick through the connector before you crimp it. It allows you to quickly verify that the wires are in the correct sequence before actually crimping. It should cut the errors down to about 0. It is very hard to verifiy the right wires are in the right pins before crimping a non-EZ connector.

I found some tips on using the Platinum Tools EZRJ45 compression tools at remotecentral.com - after inserting the wires through the connector, twist them together so you don't have to find and pick up the little pieces.

Anyone use 'strain reliefs' for catx?

I bought strain reliefs for my cat6 cables, same place I bought the ez terminators. I'm a little disappointed in them...I find that the crimping still doesn't grab it enough to ensure it stays attached to the connector. some of my strain reliefs have still separated. *shrug*

Back