Problem with ELK M1Gold with M1DBH and RCS TR16

robertyoung127

Hello,

I had the ELK M1 Gold installed as a security system in our new home.  I am now starting to add the automation features.  I have an ISY994i connected through the ELK-M1XEP interface and that is working to control lights - well light, starting slow. 
I have 3 control panels connected to the ELK through the M1DBH Data Bus Hub.  I am now trying to connect a RCS TR16 thermostat to the M1 through the same M1DBH.  The TR16 is now installed and controlling the furnace.  However I cannot get the M1 to recognize the TR16.  Here's is what I have done.

Set the address of the Tr16 to 04 (the control panels are devices 01, 02, 03 on the bus)

Terminated a CAT6 wire according to T568A standard

Plugged the RJ45 plug into the 4th jack and placed the RJ45 Terminating Plug in the 5th jack of the M1DBH.

Connected the White/Brown wire to the G terminal on the TR16 Control Unit

Connected the White/Orange (Data B (+)) and the White Green (Data B return) to the Data + terminal on the TR16 Control Unit

Connected the Orange (Data A (-)) and the Green (Data A return) to the D- terminal on the TR16 Control Unit

I then try to Enroll/Update Control and Devices.  I do not see the thermostat, but I am not sure that I should.  I then check thermostats on the on the control panel and I get T01:Not Enabled through T04:Not Enabled.  I wasn't sure if this would be T01 because it is the first thermostat, or if it would be T04 because it is the 4th device on the RS485 data bus.

Other things I have tried:

Connecting only Data A and Data B without the return wires.

Reversing Data A and Data B.

Powering down the Controller

All of the instructions that I have seen for connecting the TR16 to the M1 have been through the M1XSP serial expander.  However, I would think that the M1XSP and the M1DBH operate identically from a RS485 standpoint, with the M1DBH just making home run wiring a little easier.

I am at a loss as to where to go from here.  Has anyone gotten this connection to work?  Is there some trick I am missing to add a new device to the RS485 bus?

Thanks for any help.

Robert.

You don't connect the TR16 to the M1DBH, you need to connect it to an M1XSP.  The RS485 bus for the M1 is only for Elk devices.  Just because they are both serial doesn't mean they are speaking the same protocol over the serial connection, the M1XSP is not just a dumb interface, you load firmware on it so it can translate commands for the TR16.

Thank you very much for your quick response.  I did not expect that.  I connected The TR15 to a JDS controller many years ago and I simply connected it to the RS-485 bus.  I am assuming that I can have the M1XSP and the M1DBH connected at the same time.  
I notice in the M1XSP manual it says that 'the first M1XSP should be set to address 1'.  Since I have keypads on addresses 1, 2 and 3, should I set the M1XSP address to 4.  It becomes a device on the bus doesn't it?

I will have to order an M1XSP and let you know how it goes.  

Thanks again.  

Device addresses only need to be different between the same device type, so you can have an M1XSP on 1 and a keypad on 1 for example.  You would want to connect the M1XSP to the DBH if you have a free port.

Hello,
I received the M1XSP yesterday and installed it today.  I can now see the thermostat and control it.  

Now for some programming.

Thank you very much

Robert.

Good deal, happy it is working for you.  My first RCS came DOA and wouldn't communicate over RS485 which was maddening, but they had great support and replaced it in a week. 

Back