Problem with x10 Wall Switch

AutomatedOutlet said:
On the basic WS467 wall switch, there's a slide switch on it that will disable it's receiving of X10 signals.... Try flipping it the other way.
On all of my X10 brand switches, the "Kill Switch" (Ido's site refers to it as the "Bulb Change Disable Switch") disables all power from the switch's output wire to the light fixture (so you don't accidentally get ZAPPED by a Remote ON while changing a burned out bulb). Thus, neither Manual or Remote work...

Are the new switches (or third-party switches) any different?

No, that's not correct. On the WS467 switches, that flip switch on the bottom does not disable the switch, it just makes it so it will ignore X10 signals.

Greetings,

First let me say I am the op of this thread. I was using 'bugmenot' and that general registration got cancelled. I am now a full fledged member here.

I really appreciate the responsiveness and depth of knowledge of members here.

The bottom line is I do have the x10 transceiver module. I managed to get my wall switch lights to operate when it is plugged into only specific outlets leading me to believe I am having conflicts with the two 'legs' of my house.

I plan to purchase and install this http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php...0&cat=42&page=1.

Am I correct in believing that this will solve my "leg" problem completely? I am supposed to simply plug it into my dryer outlet, and thats it?

Also if someone might explain what this three way wall switch is for, I would be most appreciative.

Finally, the lights are responding to the transceiver, although periodically, it seems to stop functioning completely. Unplugging the transceiver and plugging it back in solves the problem. What do I need to do to solve this permanently?

Thanks again in advance.

More than likely (most homes have both of these problems) you have a phase coupling problem (which you already determined) and probably have some electronic items plugged into your AC lines that are "signal suckers". These items suck or attenuate the X-10 signal and are most likely the source of intermittant problems.

I don't have any experience with that dryer plugin module, so hopefully someone can chime in that has one. I have more of a traditional signal coupler/amplifier installed in my breaker box.

Also try unplugging most common items, VCR's, TV's, LCD Monitors, Plasma TV's, etc... and see if the situation improves. Other than shutting off entire circuit breakers and trying them one at a time, the only good way to determine what is sucking your signals down is to use an X-10 signal meter.

There is a thread started by Guy Lavoie (about using an X-10 meter) that you may want to search on.

Good luck and keep the questions coming.

BSR

priapos,

Welcome back as a full fledged member!

Yes, that device will fix the "leg issues" you mentioned and couple the phases while amplifying the signal at the same time. It sounds to me like most likely the issue you're having in your house is due to weak signal strength caused by a phase coupling issue. I use that exact device in my house and think it's great. The type BSR metioned also works great as well but I'm not an electrician and went for the plug-in type.

When people are talking about a "3-way" wall switch, they are talking about a situation where you have 2 light switches that control the same light.

Back