Programming Vista 20P - first power on

I just installed an Ademco Vista 20p. I'm having a hard time getting started with programming. It's brand spanking new, out of the box, first power on. As of right now, when I apply power, the siren goes off reporting a "Fire" condition, after about 1 to 2 minutes.

The manual states that to enter programming mode, I have to press * and # at the same time within 50 seconds after applying power. (Yes, battery is disconnected here.) I did that, but the keypad shows nada - zip on the alpha screen. (Keypad *DOES* light up and beep, responding to key presses..... but that's all.)

OK so I then thought maybe I needed to first assign a keypad address. The 6150RF keypad manual states that the keypad can be programmed by holding 1 and 3 within 30 seconds from power up. I did, and per this forum post: http://www.diysecuri...p?topic=11565.0 I pressed 1, 16, *. Now, the keypad display toggles between "--" and "oo"

While I sat there scratching my head and reading the manuals, again the fire alarm condition arose.

I powered this damn thing off for tonight. What am I doing wrong?

Here's a detailed list of how I've connected everything:

6150RF keypad (black terminal 4, red terminal 5, green terminal 6, yellow terminal 7)
Wired motion sensor (black terminal 4, red terminal 5, green terminal 8, yellow terminal 9, so this is on zone 1, with an EOLR since I read that zone 1 is EOLR only.)
Front door zone 2
Back door zone 3
Garage door zone 4
window - zone 5
Window - zone 6
Window - zone 7
Window - zone 8

BTW - I have no smoke detectors involved here.... obviously the panel is confused.

Zone 1 is factory setup for smoke. did you install a resistor on zone 1? also, while the panel is powered up, try 4112+800 to get into programming. from there you can turn of zone 1 or change it to HW if you want. I think you need to assign the keypad as number 16 and I think that already factory. I can look it up tonight when I get home.

to answer:

1.) Zone 1 is factory set up for smoke. That makes sense. My motion sensor must have been triggering that alarm. Yes, I have an EOLR resistor directly across the zone 1 terminals, only because I thought it was required.
2.) When you say "4112+800", does the "+" indicate a button press? If so, which button, like one of the 4 buttons on the left of the numbers?

-- I remember trying this last night... typing "4112800" within the first 50 seconds of power on. When I did this, if I recall correctly, I saw nothing on the display.... I know the display works, as holding 1 and 3 within 30 seconds display toggles between "d-" and "-".

Is it expected for the display to show nothing after entering "4112800"?

4112800 is the correct code if the panel is factory default to get into programming. you can do this at anytime to enter programming. it should say intaller code 20 after that and then * or # plus your feild (*56) to enter prgramming.

You are also going to want a full text keypad for zone programming. Leave just a resistor on zone 1 with no wires connected. If you have enough zones left save zone 1 just in case you add smokes later.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Ok. So is programming with the 6150RF impossible? That's the feeling I'm getting.

I wanted to get the thing running before investing in more keypads but I guess I may have to.

That being said, can I program this using an ADB2USB and Indigo plugins?

You can use the 6150RF keypad to program, you just wont have very little prompting displayed, so it is more difficult and easler to make a mistake or get lost in the menu structure. You will get blank prompts for some fields, but if you * through them it will work.

Here is a tip, check out the default zone types and use the existing where possible. Then in the *56 menu just scroll through while looking at the program guide. You will start to see a pattern of where the zone number is and then the zone type. You will also have report code fields too. When you get lost, power down and start over. It really helps if you have seen it on the text keypad before but it can be done.

I have successfully figured out how to review data fields in *56 mode.

However, I can't figure out how to change fields. What I'm trying to do is change a zone's entry type from 03 to 01. When I enter *56, and keep hitting * til I see what I need, I tried entering 01*, but it reverts back to 03. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you all for your help!

The first 01 is the zone, the second 01 is the zone type. Keep going and zone 02 will have the default for that zone and so on. Good luck!

Edit: I reread is it zone three you are on?

Well yeah. I have no trouble reading the current settings. But how do I change them? The zone type, specifically? Change zone 3's zone type from 03 to 01, for example?

Scrolling down, each zone has its zone number displayed twice In a row, and the third field is the zone type. (so what I see for zone 3 is

When I want it to be

I've done much searching. It seems that unless you know exactly what alpha prompt *should* be displayed, there's no way to know what you're doing when pushing buttons on the 6150RF. "flying blind" is the word.

So I've gone ahead and gotten an AD2USB. I need one anyway, and should be able to run an alpha keypad emulator to move this process along.

Back