programming when i return home from "vacation" or "away"

CajunRob

I’m having trouble with two programming items.

1. When I disarm from either VACATION or AWAY, I want certain things to happen (lights go on, temp reset, etc.). What is my trigger for that? It doesn’t seem like it should be “WHEN OFF” b/c then it will trigger the action all the time when the security system is off. Is there a trigger for when the system goes to OFF from one of the 2 modes mentioned.

2. How to I handle this situation: I have thermostats doing different things at different times. When I arm AWAY or VACATION I want it to go to away or vacation heat and cool temps. When I come home and disarm, I would like it to set the thermostats for whatever temps they should be at for that particular time. In other words, if I disarm from those modes at 3 in the afternoon, I want all thermostats to go to whatever temp they would be at if things were running normally. I would rather not have to set up a bunch of things like [IF DISARM B/T 7 AND 730, THEN……..; IF DISARM B/T 730 AND 9 THEM…..]
Any ideas?

There's no from transitional trigger, so when something happens the system has no idea what state it was in previously.
I have HVAC buttons setup for Day, Night, Away and Vacation.
All of the temp and mode settigns are controlled in those buttons.
i.e.

Code:
WHEN HVAC NIGHT
  THEN SET ALL THERMOSTATS MODE AUTO
  THEN SET Downstairs Heat Setpoint 60°
  THEN SET Downstairs Cool Setpoint 80°
  THEN SET Upstairs Heat Setpoint 58°
  THEN SET Upstairs Cool Setpoint 72°

If you never armed the security system, I assume you want a day program for a certain period and a night program for a certain period.
So you just need to incorporate that logic into the disarm function.

Use conditionals
I have a timeclock that runs when I want the night routine to run. 8:00PM to 5:00AM
i.e. You could do something like this

Code:
WHEN OFF
  AND IF Time Clock 1 Disabled (time between 5:00AM and 8:00PM)
    THEN RUN BUTTON HVAC Day

WHEN OFF
  AND IF Time Clock 1 Enabled (time between 8:00PM and 5:00AM)
    THEN RUN BUTTON HVAC Night

WHEN AWAY
    THEN RUN BUTTON HVAC Away

WHEN VACATION
    THEN RUN BUTTON HVAC Vacation

If you are using the Occupancy mode of the RC-2000/1000 it will automatically shift setpoints with changes in Armed status.
It uses the Day presets for the Off mode, so you would still probably want to add some time based programming to get you into Night mode before you actually arm Night.

I use the Occupancy mode with a time based block when I want to start the night setback.
So I don't need all the code blocks above, the transitions based on armed modes are automatic.
I only need this line. (8:00 PM is when Timeclock 1 goes active.)

Code:
WHEN OFF
TIMED 8:01 PM  MTWTFSS
  AND IF Time Clock 1 Enabled
  AND IF NOT AWAY
  AND IF NOT VACATION
	THEN RUN BUTTON HVAC Night

So when I come home, if it is still day, it uses the day program even in the off mode.
If it is after 8:00PM and I disarm the system, it uses the Night setpoints (contained in the Button "HVAC Night") even though the actual mode is Off (or Day). The other conditionals are to make sure this block doesn't run if in Away or Vacation modes with the timed line. If I'm already in Night mode, there is no observable change.
This Button doesn't change the setpoints stored in the thermostat.

You could use a flag.
So when the system is AWAY or VACATION, you could assign the flag a value, say 1 for Away and 2 for Vacation.
Don't change the value of the flag when disarming until after you've used it to check the transition.

An example of pseudo code would be something like (name the flag "Arming Mode"):

Code:
WHEN OFF
  AND IF Arming Mode EQUALS 1
    THEN (Do what you want transitioning from AWAY Mode)
    THEN SET Arming Mode to 0 (or THEN Arming Mode OFF)

WHEN OFF
  AND IF Arming Mode EQUALS 2
    THEN (Do what you want transitioning from Vacation Mode)
    THEN SET Arming Mode to 0 (or THEN Arming Mode OFF)

Back