pulling fiber optic cable tips?

JimS

Getting ready to pull a 270' run of fiber through 1" conduit. It has a couple runs of Cat5e which I intend to pull out and use to pull in the pulling line. The fiber came in a coil but not on a spool. Thinking I should put it on a spool to keep things from getting tangled or twisted during the pull but am going to have to be careful to try to get it started without any overlaps in turns. I have a couple spools I made out of plywood ends with several short sections of 2 x 4 between the ends for pulling coils of 12-2 romex and the like. The fiber has pulling eyes. The conduit has only 2 long sweeps so don't expect any issues other than keeping the fiber coming off the coil under control. Any tips or comments from others who have done it?

Lay the fiber in a figure eight on top of itself as much as needed. It'll pull easy that way but the spool is easiest.

You don't really want to "pull" it, better to push from the feeding end and take up the slack from the far end. If you know what I mean.

Planning to have someone on each end. One pulling and one feeding in. Not sure how you would actually push it and trying it might cause some sharp bends - something you don't want with fiber.

-Lubricate well by running a lubricated rag on pull tape both ways prior to pulling. Then put the lubricated rag on the pulling eye in front of the fiber.
-Pull slow. I go 6 inches at a time. I takes time, but still better than replacing the fiber due to damage.
- Install a termination box at both ends and use patch cables so you will never have to touch your fiber again.
- Lanshack has good videos describing the pulling process. Also for cutting the pulling eye off of the fiber.

Planning to have someone on each end. One pulling and one feeding in. Not sure how you would actually push it and trying it might cause some sharp bends - something you don't want with fiber.

Yeah I guess I should've asked what kind of fiber first. :)
The stuff we use has a heavy, rigid jacket that is really easy to push, but if you only have something "flimsier" than that, pull but carefully.

Back