Purchasing a new HDTV

Sacedog

I will be purchasing a new HDTV within the next 6 months, and would like to be able to control it through HA software. Does anyone know of any TVs that can be controlled through a RS-232 port? Or am I stuck using IR?

I don't mind using IR, I would just prefer that there was some sort of verification (two-way communication) that let the HA software know that the TV actually turned on or off.

Most of the more expensive LCD and plasmas support RS232. Not uncommon, but not on most big box store stocked tvs. Many of the brands have "pro" series that support RS232.

Certainly a RS232 controllable TV will be better than IR anyday. However, most of the TV manufactures have a very poorly implemented protocal. So most, if not all the commands end up being 1 way usually, and many commands are not supported. However, a poorly written RS232 control is still better than no RS232 control IMHO, but try to get a copy of the protocal before you buy. Don't assume that because it has RS232 that it is going to be the "end all be all" of TV control.

Certainly a RS232 controllable TV will be better than IR anyday. However, most of the TV manufactures have a very poorly implemented protocal. So most, if not all the commands end up being 1 way usually, and many commands are not supported. However, a poorly written RS232 control is still better than no RS232 control IMHO, but try to get a copy of the protocal before you buy. Don't assume that because it has RS232 that it is going to be the "end all be all" of TV control.

Very true!

I looked a bit harder on the Internet, and did not find many. I found two Pioneer Elite models, which were a fortune (see below).

Pioneer PRO-FHD1 - $4,100
Pioneer PRO-1540HD - $5,000

I also found a Gateway TV (model #GTW-P42M102) that even had the RS-232 command documentation, but I think it is discontinued, as I cannot find one for sale anywhere.

So is everyone else using IR for controlling the TV. I really only care about On/Off, and Input Selection.

I recall that most (all?) of the Toshiba & Samsung DLPs that I saw had serial ports. I know that Samsung published the protocol, I don't know if Toshiba did.

commercial panny plasmas have an RS232 port, there's a CQC driver for some of them. IIRC, there's also a driver for an LG plasma, but I could be wrong there.

I use IR to turn my tv's on and off and a split core magnet and a powerflash modules to indicate weather they are on or off. Works good for the kids tv's. If it's a school night I automatically turn the tv's off at 9PM. If your TV has discrete IR codes then it's less of an issue knowing if the TV is on or off. An off only turns them off.

JVC Pro series protocol attached. It indicates RxD and TxD are used, but the tech support was not able to find anything about status responses. Not all IR functions are supported via RS232, but for the ones that are supported they have direct selection rather than the round robin necessary with IR in some cases.

Attachments

• HDP61_70r1u.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 21
I face the same question...looking for a decent priced flat plasma HDTV with a serial connection. I guess most TV brands carry a "pro" line, and that is where the serial ports are (mostly) :ph34r: .

Can anyone suggest a fair/decent priced supplier of "pro" brand name TV's? I am looking for the "Automated Outlet/Worthington Distribution" of pro brand name TV's :lol: .

Can anyone suggest a fair/decent priced supplier of "pro" brand name TV's? I am looking for the "Automated Outlet/Worthington Distribution" of pro brand name TV's :ph34r: .

I hear ya! I am wanting to put a flatscreen in the kitchen, and would like something that can be directly controlled via RS-232. However, I don't want to spend $2,500 and up for a TV that will not get used that much.

I guess I'll need to start investigating IR solutions...

I purchased a Panny professional model. (TH-50PF9UK) The RS232 commands they include with the user manual are pretty weak but after a long time searching google for better documentation I stumbled on the mother load (for these models anyway...).

Chris

Attachments

• panasonic_rs232.pdf
    108.7 KB · Views: 34
I purchased a Panny professional model. (TH-50PF9UK) The RS232 commands they include with the user manual are pretty weak but after a long time searching google for better documentation I stumbled on the mother load (for these models anyway...).

Chris

Where did you buy it, and why did you use that particular vendor?

I see these on the net for as low as $2,199. No built in tuner (bad), RS232 (good), no 1080p HDMI (bad) :ph34r: .

Chris

Where did you buy it, and why did you use that particular vendor?

I see these on the net for as low as $2,199. No built in tuner (bad), RS232 (good), no 1080p HDMI (bad) :ph34r: .

I recall that most (all?) of the Toshiba & Samsung DLPs that I saw had serial ports. I know that Samsung published the protocol, I don't know if Toshiba did.
I'm not entirely certain but, I believe those Toshiba's are service only.

If looking at higher end LCD (I know, I know, it's still an LCD) I'd consider Planar. Especially now that they've aquired Runco. Expect many "pro" tweaks on their displays and projectors in the year to come.

Yep, I am very much looking forward to CEDIA (CES is for sweaty gamer kids!).

I use IR with my non commercial Panny Plasma (58"). Got the discrete codes from Remote Central for power and input selection and it has been flawless.

Dale

Back