Question about an Elk

Scrambled

I finally have my Elk wireless zones connected, but I can not figure out how to program them. I enrolled the zone (a Caddx 48), but I dont understand what I need to do inorder to make the Elk learn the transmitter.

Can anyone help???

Thanks

Steve

Easiest way is to use Elk RP

And enter the Tx ID # or DL #

Or you can learn the module in by triping it when learning.

I found it much easier to enter the #

I have looked on my keyfobs and the Caddx micro transmitters and neither have the numbers on them. The keyfobs had a sticker, but it is unreadable.

Is there another way??

Thanks

Steve

To enroll transmitters by keypad:

Goto the installer level of programming, menu 14.

1st option is to set up the Caddx receiver. Answer the question on the keypad.

2nd option is to set up each transmitter by zone. Answer the questions on the keypad.

3rd option is to enroll each transmitter by zone. When the M1 says "Press the Transmitter Button", press the button in the plastic on top of the transmitter. M1 should acknowledge the button press. Move to the next transmitter. Keypads are programmed by pressing the top two buttons together when the M1 asks for the transmitter button to be pressed. The transmitter instructions generally explain how to activate the transmitters.

If you know the transmitter ID number, it is easier to use ELKRP to enroll the transmitters by typing in the ID number. Keyfobs do not have the ID number on the housing.

Repost if you are still having a problem.

Spanky- I am still having problems enrolling my wireless transmitters. So far, I can not get amy transmitter to enroll. I did it the way that you suggested using the keypay, and it did not work. Just to make sure that the keyfobs and the Caddx micro transmitters are working, I watched the lights on the receiver board an the yellow light would flicker when the transmitter was activated.

Is there any way to see if the Elk panel is getting the information from the wireless receiver??

Is there any way to monitor the Elk RP to see if it is getting the information??

Thanks for the help

Steve

Best thing to do is start from scratch on the Caddx Receiver. Re-initialize it.

Goto Global 45 programming and set the wireless options to factory default. It is option 95 or 96 under the Global 45 programming in the Installer Menu.

Go back through the installation procedure as above.

If you still cannot get it to work, call ELK technical support at 800-797-9355.

One more thing, make sure the Caddx receiver is a NX-448e. The older models without the "e" will not work.

I just had a problem with an 8 zone receiver. I tried everything to get it to work and it wouldn't enroll any transmitters.

I finally took a set of door contacts and tried them in front of the card.......No yellow light (card wasn't picking up any transmission from any of my devices). I replaced it with a different card and it works fine.

Test your transmitters in front of the card and look for a yellow light blinking. If you don't see it, then your card is bad and nothing will enroll.

.......oops, nevermind, I see you tried that already...........

I tried to call tec. support, but I can not call them because they are closed :huh: ;) In order for me to pay for all of this "stuff" I have to work. I leave before they start, and get home after they leave. Does anyone have a e-mail address for someone in tec.support???

Thanks

Steve

The M1 Gold does not truly support the Caddx NX408E, even though the manual indicates that it does.

Page 47 has a minor reference to it, and indicates the 16 Zone or 48 Zone Expanders are better choices.

We struggled with it here at iAutomate.com during testing, and confirmed the incompatibility.

For best results your should use the NX416E (or NX448E but that might be overkill).

If you don't know the Transmitter ID, you can in fact enroll them at the Keypad as mentioned earlier in the thread, once in learn mode, you simply trip the sensor to transmit an alarm and the sensor is "stored".

Peter

pmonahan said:
The M1 Gold does not truly support the Caddx NX408E, even though the manual indicates that it does.

Page 47 has a minor reference to it, and indicates the 16 Zone or 48 Zone Expanders are better choices.

We struggled with it here at iAutomate.com during testing, and confirmed the incompatibility.

For best results your should use the NX416E (or NX448E but that might be overkill).
Please elaborate on this claim. What kind of incompatibility? I don't see what you are referring to on page 47 of the pdf. What makes them better choices?

WayneW said:
pmonahan said:

Please elaborate on this claim. What kind of incompatibility? I don't see what you are referring to on page 47 of the pdf. What makes them better choices?

I am not sure if page 47 of the PDF is the same as our hard copy.

In the hard copy it states:

"....NOTE: If an 8 zone receiver is installed, the upper 8 zones are not available (wasted) as far as the control is concerned. Receivers with multiples of 16 Zones (NX16E and NX448E) are therfore bettter economic choices..."

Beyond that description, we tested three NX408E's could not get any to function with the M1's and confirmed with Brad at Tech Support that rarely do installers "get" the NX408E to work. We then tried the NX408E on the M1 in my own home, and in a similar fashion could not achieve proper results, although swapping the boards with NX416E's worked every time.

My home is hard wired except for the windows which are wireless using the Caddx Micro Sensors; we are testing a myriad of wireless devices in my home in order to test the Statbility of our RFID products in a real environment.

Our tests were performed with panel firmware version 4.3.5

Thanks

Peter

Peter, since you mentioned it - I'm just curious - are you planning an RFID solution for the M1 or just the SW solutions like Homeseer?

Back