RA2 or Z-Wave?

rscott

I'm about to move into a new place and I want to do some home automation. I'm trying to determine which way to go... should I stick with zwave or move to RA2 (or some other RF?) I need to be able to program and control the devices from my own computer via a program that I write using an SDK and USB/RS232 device.

Is Ra2 considerably more reliable? How does the cost compare with z-wave devices?

Your total device count may influence your choice between those two RF technologies. I've read that larger Z-Wave installs (40+ devices) have more problems than simpler installs. Have you looke at UPB? It has a very well documented API and is easy to interface with.

Your total device count may influence your choice between those two RF technologies. I've read that larger Z-Wave installs (40+ devices) have more problems than simpler installs. Have you looke at UPB? It has a very well documented API and is easy to interface with.

UPB requires specialized wiring, right? This is an existing construction, so if the existing wiring won't work, I will be unable to run additional wires for it.

UPB requires specialized wiring, right? This is an existing construction, so if the existing wiring won't work, I will be unable to run additional wires for it.

Nope. Just a neutral in the box.

RadioRA2 does not require a neutral for dimmers. It does for switches.

IMHO ra2 sets the standard for reliability.

Any RA switch or dimmer with the letter N in the product code requires a neutral. All keypads require a neutral. I do not know if the hybrid keypad requires a neutral. It might not since it can dim a load.

Isn't there an issue getting the needed software for RA2? Or can I just download it from the Lutron site?

I believe your installer can provide I for you.
I is the installer. I assume what you're saying is that Lutron is not DIY and of the two, one should choose ZWave if one is of the DIY mode. Am I interpreting that correctly?

I haven't settled on what to use yet, hence I follow these threads pretty closely, and the comments by persons like yourself are quiet valuable.

Find a dealer who will provide you with the product AND the software. You will do the actual install. Count on paying more for the product that you would from an online retailer. A cooperative dealer will provide you with help, an online retailer will not.

I guess I am trying to figure out where Lutron is coming from on DIY. Am I a little slow catching on that they don't want DIY at all. Otherwise, why would they be restricting software. Am I misunderstanding something? In other words, why sneak around after midnight looking for a dealer who will slip me the software if I pay him more? What would be the reason I would want to do that?

I guess I am trying to figure out where Lutron is coming from on DIY. Am I a little slow catching on that they don't want DIY at all. Otherwise, why would they be restricting software. Am I misunderstanding something? In other words, why sneak around after midnight looking for a dealer who will slip me the software if I pay him more? What would be the reason I would want to do that?

Lutron wants to put ra2's best foot forward, and that is going to be accomplished by having experienced installers/integrators install it. If they just gave the software to anyone then people will buy it and install it and miss out on many potential features that an installer would have been able to suggest. By limiting the access to the software lutron can be more confident that you have been given all the right guidance to get the most out of your product. When you spend the money on lighting control, you are no doubt going to show it to your friends when they are over. That is the best marketing that ra2 can get, and why leave it up to the average person to maximize the potential. It really dosent cost much to just have a licensed electrician come install and program your system. Then you get the software, maybe some ideas you might not have had on your own, a legit install were your house to burn down, and someone to call with questions or just for advice.

So basically, Lutron wants the product to be dealer/installer only?

That sort means a DIY person such as myself should not look at RA2 as a possibility then, sticking instead with Z-Wave or UPB?

I think I understand.

By the way, what does this software do? Why does one need it?

Pardon the dumb questions, but I'm spending a bunch of time researching prior to adapting something. This forum is awesome for this purpose and the contributors quite sensible and helpful. I'm thinking of using HouseBot.

I have no problem whatsoever with installers making a living, I just don't happen to have the budget to go that route.

Add it to the list of dealer-only products. If you want their product, can afford it and don't mind community support - go for it. I personally got hung up on Russound just recently - and find support not to be an issue.

That sort means a DIY person such as myself should not look at RA2 as a possibility then, sticking instead with Z-Wave or UPB?

I think I understand.

Pardon the dumb questions, but I'm spending a bunch of time researching prior to adapting something.

I have no problem whatsoever with installers making a living, I just don't happen to have the budget to go that route.

the software allows your maximum device count to increase from 50 to 100 and makes programming and subsequent changes much easier. also you can integrate your ra2 system with other control systems like control4, hai, and all the other big names when programmed with the software. If you are determined to do it all yourself, im sure you will find someone who will sell you the devices and give you the software. Or you could just program it the old fashioned way (lots of walking back and forth). Either way, ra2 is in my opinion the best bang for your buck in lighting control and is only going to get better with the release of additional products like thermostats and hybrid keypads. If would be happy to help you out with getting your parts at a good price and programming, if you are interested just send me a pm

I think I understand.

Pardon the dumb questions, but I'm spending a bunch of time researching prior to adapting something.

the software allows your maximum device count to increase from 50 to 100 and makes programming and subsequent changes much easier. also you can integrate your ra2 system with other control systems like control4, hai, and all the other big names when programmed with the software. If you are determined to do it all yourself, im sure you will find someone who will sell you the devices and give you the software. Or you could just program it the old fashioned way (lots of walking back and forth). Either way, ra2 is in my opinion the best bang for your buck in lighting control and is only going to get better with the release of additional products like thermostats and hybrid keypads. If would be happy to help you out with getting your parts at a good price and programming, if you are interested just send me a pm

At about a hundred bucks a switch I'm not sure how that's bang for a buck. Deanne is correct - We, the DIY people are certainly not going to be jumping on this anytime soon.

Back