RadioRA 2 Switch Choices

wkearney99 said:
And in what situations would you install a dimmer and not want to use it as such?  If you're thinking that might be a way to avoid issues with LEDs don't be to quick to jump to that conclusion.  I've run into a few LEDs that just did not want to work properly AT ALL off of a 6D, no matter what dim levels or defaults I used.  I didn't try the switch mode, but I wouldn't expect that to be any different than the way the default off/full settings are handled in a dimmer anyway.

I have a few places with non dimmable CFLs with a UPB switch set to dimmer disabled. If I can't change the switch mode I'll probably end up replacing the bulbs. These are in areas where I don't need the ability to dim the bulb so it seems like a waste. I could buy the 8ANS switch, but for future flexibility I'd rather have a dimmer.

The 6D dimmer has no neutral so it has a 50 watt minimum. The switch runs a small amount of current through the bulb to power itself. If you look at the 10ND or 6NA the minimum wattage is 10 or 5.

Sure, that's what I figured.  I hated CFLs enough to have never installed any, so I dodged a fair bit of that nonsense.  LEDs are quite possibly worse in this regard.  

Advice I've read before is to just use the 10ND or 6NA whenever possible (or the new CL one) to avoid most of those issues.  But I don't have any of the newer CL units, so I can't say if they'd be different.  But I definitely have a few places with 6D that I really would be better served with the 6NAs...  That and they're now close enough in price to not make it the issue it once was, nor any appreciable 'waste'.

But I did swap out a 6D for an 8ANS in a location that'll never get dimming (workshop overhead 48" florescent).  It was a bit annoying to have accidental use of the dimmers causing erratic lighting through the 6D.  

I can't find any specs on the 6CL to show if it needs a neutral, etc. It is priced the same as the 6D which saves $30 a switch over the 6NA. I wish they sold a 6ND like they do for Homeworks QS. They would be the way to go as I don't need a 1000W dimmer in most places.

I got a reply:

We apologize for the confusion but the ability to change the dimmer to a switch is only in reference to the RRD-3PD and the RRD-3LD. In the RadioRA2 software you do have the ability to change the load types on the RRD-3PD and the RRD-3LD from a dimmed load to a non-dimmed load. When these devices are in switching mode the raise arrow will turn the light on and the lower arrow will turn the light off.
Um, OK, hmmm...  I followed up to confirm this.

They also indicated the side dimmer switches become just on/off switches when the device is configured in this mode.  

I checked and when you select 'Non-dimmable' as a load type for the device the software then doesn't allow setting the hi/low trim and fade levels.  In fact none of the advanced settings are available for it.

Back