Rate My Automated Doorbell Invention!

biz123

Hey guys. I'm developing a new home automation product and was hoping to get some opinions.

It's an inexpensive system which allows you to answer your door from your smartphone. This means you don't have to put up with not hearing the doorbell, guessing who's at the door, or an annoying doorbell ring.

The product doesn't exist yet, so I'm hoping to get your opinions before I spend even more money making it a reality.

I've attached a brief overview of it in a picture below and have some questions for you...

1. What do you think of the general idea?
2. Would you buy it? If yes, what's the biggest benefit of this product?
3. If you wouldn't buy it, please tell me why.

This project is really important to me, so any opinions (negative and positive) are most welcome.

wsu35u.jpg

I would not go with anything "glass" based. Far to fragile for something that sees the typical amount of use/abuse like a doorbell.

Now if something could work like the existing Doorbelfon or Viking units already on the market, it'd probably sell. I wouldn't bank 100% on an app based platform.

I would not go with anything "glass" based. Far to fragile for something that sees the typical amount of use/abuse like a doorbell.

Now if something could work like the existing Doorbelfon or Viking units already on the market, it'd probably sell. I wouldn't bank 100% on an app based platform.

Thank you for your input. I agree that glass is fragile, but, in my opinion, the glass of smartphone like devices is pretty safe to use outside. There is the issue of theft, but the final version of this product will use tamper proof screws and be sturdy on the wall.

Because this is app based and uses existing hardware, it lowers the cost significantly when you compare it to similar products. The Visiomatic Visitor, for example, requires you to buy a $5,000 system.

I'm not so sure. As a conceptional idea its neat but I'd rather have a true physical door bell for aesthetics purposes or anything else that can flush in the walls. As weird as it sounds from someone on this forum I hate my home looking like a gadget home,but once again its a cool idea.

Thank you for your input. I agree that glass is fragile, but, in my opinion, the glass of smartphone like devices is pretty safe to use outside. There is the issue of theft, but the final version of this product will use tamper proof screws and be sturdy on the wall.

Because this is app based and uses existing hardware, it lowers the cost significantly when you compare it to similar products. The Visiomatic Visitor, for example, requires you to buy a $5,000 system.

No matter if you use Corning Gorilla Glass or not, I'd give it 2 times with an irritated delivery person or solicitor before it gets broken or similar. How about getting scratched/fogged/etc.? Theft is the last item I'd consider. Tamperproof screws only slow someone down, usually they're either going to pull out altogether from the substrate or get snapped off.

I think it may be interesting on paper, I think reliability with that sort of device is going to be a deal breaker.

No matter if you use Corning Gorilla Glass or not, I'd give it 2 times with an irritated delivery person or solicitor before it gets broken or similar. How about getting scratched/fogged/etc.? Theft is the last item I'd consider. Tamperproof screws only slow someone down, usually they're either going to pull out altogether from the substrate or get snapped off.

I think it may be interesting on paper, I think reliability with that sort of device is going to be a deal breaker.

The scratching issue can be solved with a screen protector. In terms of fogging, I've never seen a touchscreen fog up.

The doorbell would be pretty simple to use: The screen is off. But when it detects motion, a doorbell button appears, and they press it. Nothing to get irritated about.

I'm not so sure. As a conceptional idea its neat but I'd rather have a true physical door bell for aesthetics purposes or anything else that can flush in the walls. As weird as it sounds from someone on this forum I hate my home looking like a gadget home,but once again its a cool idea.

Thank you for your input. I agree, it's very "futuristic/gadgety" looking. I believe, however, that this look will appeal to some people.

I like the idea but I'm confused as to how it works. Does the unit have a camera and this is how you know who's at the door? What if you do not have your phone with you. Will it still ring a bell? Is there two way communication? Also does this device have a motion detector to turn itself on?

I like the idea but I'm confused as to how it works. Does the unit have a camera and this is how you know who's at the door? What if you do not have your phone with you. Will it still ring a bell? Is there two way communication? Also does this device have a motion detector to turn itself on?

Yes, the outdoor unit has a camera.

If you do not have your phone on you, then you're out of luck. However, seeing that the video alert will be similar to a normal phone call on a smartphone, that shouldn't be an issue for most people.

There is two way voice and video communication. You see who is at the door, but the visitor does not see you, unless you want them to.

The device's screen is always off unless the camera detects motion, thereby awaking it.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

1. You can accomplish this fairly simply with a 2N Helios SIP door station. Have it dial your phone - even a SIP client on your phone as well as other video phones in the house.

2. I definitely would not want it sticking out like that - I'd want it to look like any other flush door station.

3. I am in no way worried about theft/tampering - the thing has a camera - when it detects a person nearby start recording so a server in the house. People aren't going to screw with it if they know they're on Camera and being recorded.

I've thought a little bit about tossing an iPod touch in a similar type of enclosure and writing a custom app for it - but it'd be important to me that I can interact with it. My wife is a nurse working nights and we have young kids. I'd like to set it to a big Do Not Disturb sign at times and disable it from ringing the bell; or be able to put a message up if I'm expecting people telling them to come around back; the normal screen could be a simple "No Soliciting" sign and a doorbell button. During big family events it could say "Come On In!". But you have to make it absolutely rock solid and make it less obvious that it's a valuable device hidden inside.

Last - when not disabled, I'd want it to trigger my M1 to play my normal doorbell sounds through all my normal in-house speakers.

I think having a video screen at the door is of negative value.

The person at the door never needs to see my face on the screen, I can't think of a reason why I would want them to. They will see my face soon enough when I answer the door. There just isn't a need for 2 way video conferencing with someone that I will be face-to-face with in a few seconds.

So, I see this as an expensive video screen that pretends to be an inexpensive button. The screen is going to be outside where it will likely have failure issues. Also, if direct sunlight hits it, you won't be able to see it for a darn and then there is the long term UV light damage issues. Also there is water and temperature issues.

In short, I just don't know what homeowner would find positive value in having a visitor see their face on a 2-way video conferencing doorbell button and I can think of many who would actually specifically find value in not being seen by the visitor.

But, if you want to test out the concept on the cheap, basically all you need to do is make a "skin" for skype. Mount a smartphone to your front door with a forward facing camera and set your "skin" to look like the doorbell button. When someone pushes it, it runs a macro that rings your personal smartphone's skype account and when you answer you have your 2-way video conference.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

1. You can accomplish this fairly simply with a 2N Helios SIP door station. Have it dial your phone - even a SIP client on your phone as well as other video phones in the house.

2. I definitely would not want it sticking out like that - I'd want it to look like any other flush door station.

3. I am in no way worried about theft/tampering - the thing has a camera - when it detects a person nearby start recording so a server in the house. People aren't going to screw with it if they know they're on Camera and being recorded.

I've thought a little bit about tossing an iPod touch in a similar type of enclosure and writing a custom app for it - but it'd be important to me that I can interact with it. My wife is a nurse working nights and we have young kids. I'd like to set it to a big Do Not Disturb sign at times and disable it from ringing the bell; or be able to put a message up if I'm expecting people telling them to come around back; the normal screen could be a simple "No Soliciting" sign and a doorbell button. During big family events it could say "Come On In!". But you have to make it absolutely rock solid and make it less obvious that it's a valuable device hidden inside.

Last - when not disabled, I'd want it to trigger my M1 to play my normal doorbell sounds through all my normal in-house speakers.

1. I agree, but that station you pointed out costs $800-$1000. A used Player costs $99 and a new one is $150.

2. Thank you for pointing it out, the final version will be flush mount.

3. The app I'm making does all of those things. Those are very good ideas. I flirted with the idea of an iPod Touch, but later realized that its operating temperature is 32° to 95° F. Not so with the Galaxy Player. I agree, the enclosure will be the key.

I think having a video screen at the door is of negative value.

The person at the door never needs to see my face on the screen, I can't think of a reason why I would want them to. They will see my face soon enough when I answer the door. There just isn't a need for 2 way video conferencing with someone that I will be face-to-face with in a few seconds.

So, I see this as an expensive video screen that pretends to be an inexpensive button. The screen is going to be outside where it will likely have failure issues. Also, if direct sunlight hits it, you won't be able to see it for a darn and then there is the long term UV light damage issues. Also there is water and temperature issues.

In short, I just don't know what homeowner would find positive value in having a visitor see their face on a 2-way video conferencing doorbell button and I can think of many who would actually specifically find value in not being seen by the visitor.

But, if you want to test out the concept on the cheap, basically all you need to do is make a "skin" for skype. Mount a smartphone to your front door with a forward facing camera and set your "skin" to look like the doorbell button. When someone pushes it, it runs a macro that rings your personal smartphone's skype account and when you answer you have your 2-way video conference.

1. It is made to work so that only you see who is outside, not the other way around. It will be waterproof and temperature proof.

2. Direct sunlight won't be an issue if its installed in a porch. The final version will have a shade protection.

3. Though Skype is a good application, it won't be able to do all the things that I'd like it to, so I'm making my own custom app.

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it.

1. It is made to work so that only you see who is outside, not the other way around. It will be waterproof and temperature proof.

2. Direct sunlight won't be an issue if its installed in a porch. The final version will have a shade protection.

3. Though Skype is a good application, it won't be able to do all the things that I'd like it to, so I'm making my own custom app.

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it.

What will you be needing a costly video screen for if it is only one way video?

What will you be needing a costly video screen for if it is only one way video?

The cost to develop a custom camera/button for the outside pales in comparison to widely available touch screen technology that can be used for the same purpose and will go down in price even more.

Also, having a touch screen open up new possibilities.

Back