Recesses door sensors showing 9.4v and elk says open

Oakandstone

Hey guys,
I'm using the 3/8 recessed sensor from automated outlet and I can see a hard short on my sensor from my panel. When I open the door the short is gone. When connected to a zone it shows 9.4 volts in the status screen and violated. I verified the zone is good by placing a resistor at panel. Any ideas?
Thanks

Does the contact have a built-in EoL resistor?  Did you install and EoL resistor at the contact?  How did you define this zone?

I don't know if they're have a built in resistor. I tried connecting direct and placing a resistor in the panel. I tried burglar exit 1 and burglar interior.

You need to measure the sensor with a meter to check if there is any resistance built in. Check it in the open state and in the closed state with out it being wired to the elk.

Check the wiring back to the elk by opening and shorting the wires at the sensor location with out the sensor wired in. You should get close to 0 volts when shorted and 12 to 13v when opened.

Post your findings.

If you don't have one, you should pick up a cheap meter. They are priceless when troubleshooting.

Since you say you measure a dead short on the wire at the panel, it sounds like you don't have a built in EOL resistor in the contact, or an external EOL resister.

What is the Zone Type set to? This is different from the Zone Definition setting.   The default for the type is 0, which means there is an EOL resistor in the loop.  If you did not change this, that could be your problem.

I don't know if they're have a built in resistor. I tried connecting direct and placing a resistor in the panel. I tried burglar exit 1 and burglar interior.

Your statements are misleading.

Either you have an incorrect value resistor, or the circuit is not closing completely.

No EOLR would be 0V, the normal value is around 7VDC for a closed EOLR circuit and open is around 13-14VDC.

For no EOLR, it's either 0V or about 14V, no in between. Either check your wiring or check your contact. You need a meter.

Back