recommended delay timer

v1rtu0s1ty

Ok folks, we know that by default, delay timer is zero seconds. When a sensor trips, it contacts CS immediately. What has been the practice used for years? 15 secs? 30 secs or 60 secs?

Thanks!

rfdesq said:
Your best security is zero seconds. Then deal with the CS to abort the police response.
oh, ok. Last time I called them, it took me many minutes before I was able to speak with a real person. Or maybe, there is another phone number for abort which I'm not aware of. Is there any that NextAlarm provided to you?

rfdesq said:
Your best security is zero seconds. Then deal with the CS to abort the police response.
oh, ok. Last time I called them, it took me many minutes before I was able to speak with a real person. Or maybe, there is another phone number for abort which I'm not aware of. Is there any that NextAlarm provided to you?

Are you sure you pushed the right number for entering an abort code or did you press the number for sales? I'm sure abort get priority. Don't forget NextAlarm has to get the signal, determine the proper response, call the proper agency, wait on hold for that agency to answer, etc. So I think you will have time to abort. Just be careful with your panic/holdup alarms. In my neck of the woods the police will not accept an abort code from the CS they will show up at the house.

rfdesq said:
Are you sure you pushed the right number for entering an abort code or did you press the number for sales? I'm sure abort get priority. Don't forget NextAlarm has to get the signal, determine the proper response, call the proper agency, wait on hold for that agency to answer, etc. So I think you will have time to abort. Just be careful with your panic/holdup alarms. In my neck of the woods the police will not accept an abort code from the CS they will show up at the house.
Might be sales. Here is another question. Let's assume our system is set to call CS immediately. Now, you arrived home and you know that your house is in armed mode. You know that once you open the door from garage going to the laundry, assuming that's how the house is laid out(like mine), the door contact gets tripped and M1 contacts NextAlarm immediately. I don't want to call NextAlarm everytime to say abort. Or am I missing something?

v1rtu0s1ty said:
Let's assume our system is set to call CS immediately. Now, you arrived home and you know that your house is in armed mode. You know that once you open the door from garage going to the laundry, assuming that's how the house is laid out(like mine), the door contact gets tripped and M1 contacts NextAlarm immediately. I don't want to call NextAlarm everytime to say abort. Or am I missing something?
I think you are missing something. The door you enter to disarm your system at the nearest keypad is a delay entrance/exit door. You set those times in ELKRP. You will have for example 30 seconds to exit the home after arming and 30 seconds disarm the system before the M1 alarms and calls the CS. This must be your first alarm system ;) .

AH! I know that setting! I will configure that then.

Thanks again! ;)

EDIT: Yes, it is my first alarm system.

Hi v1rtu0s1ty,

I recently installed a Security System in my house and it has 2 adjustable delays. One is called "The Entry Delay Time" and the other is called "The Exit Delay Time". Both delays are adjustable from 1 to 255 seconds.

I adjusted the Entry Delay in my house to 45 seconds.

Here is how I came to this value:

I measured the time it took from when I opened the farthest entry door in my house, then walk all the way to the keypad and enter the disarm code. This gave me 35 seconds. I added 10 seconds to give me more time in case it takes a little longer.

rogerous said:
Hi v1rtu0s1ty,

I recently installed a Security System in my house and it has 2 adjustable delays. One is called "The Entry Delay Time" and the other is called "The Exit Delay Time". Both delays are adjustable from 1 to 255 seconds.

I adjusted the Entry Delay in my house to 45 seconds.

Here is how I came to this value:

I measured the time it took from when I opened the farthest entry door in my house, then walk all the way to the keypad and enter the disarm code. This gave me 35 seconds. I added 10 seconds to give me more time in case it takes a little longer.
Cool!

what about garage door overhead sensor, how should they be configured in ELK? I also provisioned for the wiring for this.

For garage door you may want to set in RP for FORCE ARM so you don't have to have the garage door and still be able to arm the system.

Back