Recommended Sensors & Outputs for OP2

I know this is an older post and I am new here. But where can I get a driveway sensor for my omnipro ii?

Hi Olie, I am using EMX Industries CarSense 202. It’s online at a reasonable price, is self contained, can be installed parallel alongside the driveway or perpendicular under the driveway, uses a wide range for a power supply - I got several Altronix 12 volt dc power supplies with battery backup to serve multiple devices - and only 12mA of detection current with 0.25 mA standby current. I use it in a monitored zone in OP 2. It’s sensitive enough to pick up the ferrous mass of a bicycle (and a car obviously) but not a pedestrian (unless they are right on top of it with steel boots) and it does require motion to activate it - I think if you move at literally a snails pace it won’t activate. There are lots of other options out there, but this seemed to be a good fit for me.

I have electrical to my hydro post that is right where I would want to put the sensor. But I would still have to run wire from sensor back to the op2 panel correct?

As BSR noted, you can go wireless but it can get expensive if you want reliability. Wire is relatively inexpensive, even in conduit as long as you dont have to do a lot of demolition to lay it. The sensor I noted above is wired but works fine next to the drive, so you dont have to dig up your concrete or asphalt.

Yes my dad has a similar Dakota sensor and he swears by it, he has a Control4 system in place. My house came with the OP2 controller. I am pretty new to the whole home automation, how would I go about getting this set up to work with my system once installed? Ive done very basic things since Ive been here, I added an email notifier through PC Access (which doesn't work great...lots of missed notifications), and added a couple UPB switches through UpStart but that's really it. 
My question is, once I have the driveway sensor in and powered on.. how do I get it to talk to the OP2?

Sorry I get this is a very noob question.

Thanks for any help

Russ55 - I see that you have the EMX Carsense 202.  I am trying to figure out the difference between the Cartell models vs the EMX models.  From what I see Cartell has a model which requires CT-2B controller and then they have a self contained model.  The self contained models get pricey when you need up to 500ft like I do. I am not sure if both the Cartell models can be used with the Omni Pro.   Do you?

The Carsense models seem to be comparable to the EMX Carsense 202 and look to cost less but I dont see they make a 500ft version.  Where did you buy yours?

I posted this same question in the MarketPlace forums but that may have been a poor place to post.  This thread seems to be somewhat current and has had good input. 

Myyaz33 - I can’t help you with the Cartell models. I got the EMX CS202 on E-Bay from Gateopeners-and-More. I don’t need 500’ but the EMX unit is totally self contained and when triggered it can either open or close a contact - easy connection to Omni zone. The length purchased can be extended with the appropriate cable - the key is the splice has to be completely weatherproof - either totally encased in sealed conduit or with connections made to be weatherproof. I hope this helps.

Russ55-  Yes, your information was helpful.  Thank you. I contacted EMX and they gave me a vendor to contact to see if we can get a probe that is 500ft.   Still chasing answers on the Cartel models.  I will likely reach out to Worthingtons. 

I got a random question... don't know if this is even the right forum to add to but here goes. I recently just built a shop on my property and had to run electrical to it. If I wanted to add some automation to the shop, is that possible to connect to my Omni pro2 panel via upstart power line bus even though its on a separate panel and quite a ways away...? Sorry I'm not even sure if I am thinking about this correctly.
Any input is helpful 
Thanks

Yes, it is possible.   My suggestion is to get a plug in module and try it.   You can use upstart to determine how strong the signal is to that module.

I use UPB in my detached garage, and it gets a more reliable signal than some places in my house that are much closer.     The best way to find out what works is just to try it.

Search for UMA-20-W to find a UPB lamp module

The UPB devices are manufactured by Simply Automated, Web Mountain Technologies, and PCS.   You can find information on purchasing these on their websites or just by searching for the model numbers.

I bought one and it works great. Surprised that it worked from that far away. But I’m not complaining!
So now I’m trying to put door sensor and motion detectors in the shop. I have the Leviton Wireless Receiver (Part Number 45A00-1) in my house that I use for door sensors. But I’m assuming that those would be too far away to work for my shop (200ft away).
What have you guys used for sensors and motion connecting to op2?

Sorry for the slow response. I am using all of these with my OmniPro 2. 
  • For motion I'm using Risco iWISE DualTech PIR Sensors with ACT. http://www.homecontrols.com/Risco-iWISE-DualTech-PIR-Sensor-with-ACT
  • Also for motion I have Visonic Next K9-85, which are at best a very basic inexpensive model. 
  • For door switches I'm using Honeywell 951WG Miniature Press Fit Magnetic Contacts, 
  • My interior sounder is a GE Security MPI-47C, my exterior sounder is a Honeywell 748LC indoor / outdoor alarm, output 112 dB. Together these do not exceed the 1 amp maximum output of the OP2. 
  • For smoke I'm using System Sensor 4WT-B with both photoelectric and thermal smoke detection but without built in sounders. I use the other sounders as sounders for smoke alarms. 

Back