remote dvr control for home security

jjnsgy

Please let me know if this is not an appropriate forum for this discussion.

I just installed 8 wirepath cameras and dvr.  All works great.  I can access the images via my laptop, desktop, portable device, etc from anywhere.  I have an output of the dvr connected to a coax cable in the low voltage cabinet which then goes leaves to the other end of the house to a tv.  I can switch the tv to that input and view the cameras.  Typically though, this output is used for a local monitor and one can control the dvr via a mouse connected to the dvr.  What I'd like to do is be able to control the dvr remotely as I am watching the tv, e.g. be able to expand the view for a single camera so I can watch the kids playing in the yard.  Clearly, the mouse cord is too short and bluetooth works only via short distances.  I thought I'd be able to find a USB wifi adapter which is paired with a wifi mouse or some other app which would allow me to control the mouse as I view it on the tv monitor.  Doesn't seem to be one.  The problem was apparent the minute we connected the tv.  A menu was covering 80% of the screen.  One tech was speaking with the other (not able to view the monitor) to instruct him how to move the mouse to close the menu option. 

I've been reading about Logitech unifying receiver and mouse:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Combo-Mk520-Keyboard/dp/B003VANO7C/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_y
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Unifying-receiver-mouse-keyboard/dp/B0058OU8VY

Anybody have experience with this?  Any other thoughts?  Thanks!!!

Plenty of options out there.

Without knowing the DVR and if it's an embedded OS (Linux?) or a homebrewed item, then without pushing you all over the web, look at Black Box. Plenty of items you can make work.

A wireless mouse will not go the distance it appears you are looking for. You could do a USB extender to get around this but I don't know what the design and physical variables are.

Sorry, should have made it more clear.  The links I provided are for wifi mice, not wireless which are typically bluetooth.  Haven't been able to find in what language the DVR software is written.  Will check out Black Box. 

thanks.

Here use the Logitech wireless combo keypad / pad with Linux and Wintel.  With newest OS works fine.  I also utilize that little remote from Lenova with the little thumball which works fine. Always use them in same room such that I am not sure of the range.  Checked with Bluetooth and range was very good but the batteries never last as long. Best to test yourself.  Amazon gas good return polices.

Yup it should be plug n play.  Wireless combos are typically propietary wireless.  That said the emulation provided by the device is just a standard keyboad and mouse.  No drivers are necessary.  Using Bluetooth is more propietary.

pete_c said:
Here use the Logitech wireless combo keypad / pad with Linux and Wintel.  With newest OS works fine.  I also utilize that little remote from Lenova with the little thumball which works fine. Always use them in same room such that I am not sure of the range.  Checked with Bluetooth and range was very good but the batteries never last as long. Best to test yourself.  Amazon gas good return polices.
Are you referring to the links I provided?  If not, can you provide the links?

re: machine is embedded Linux, but I don't have access to the operating system to attach a driver for some of the other wifi mouse apps which exist for android or mac os devices.

Here just plugged in the tiny wireless dongle.  Nothing else.

Its the Logitech K400 and a Lenova N5902.

The Logitech has a little pairng button and Lenova just works.

The Lenova is a bit small.

Having tablet typing issues today.

Can't clip and paste.

DELInstallations said:
Assuming it's not a PS2 connector, here's all you need, again, assuming some distance between A & B.

http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Results.aspx/Datacom/Extenders-and-Line-Drivers/USB/n-4294962440/p-0
Thanks.  Issue though is the distance of cat5 cable to connect the 2 and that it won't be portable (to take to different rooms with different tv monitors).  That was the reason for looking for a wifi solution.

Would be great to find a usb dongle with which I could simulate the mouse with an app on my phone or tablet.

First of all, I have to say I have not used the Logitech Unifying keyboard/mouse/receiver.  But now that I have read up on it, it appears that although it uses the 2.4 GHz band, it is not WiFi and it is not Bluetooth.  It uses Logitech's own proprietary protocol and it creates a point to point connection between the keyboard/mouse and the USB receiver.

From what users say about it, the Unifying products have a range of 15-20 feet.  And that's across an open room, not through walls.

If you expect to use your WiFi router to extend the range and allow you to roam around the house, from what I can tell, this product will not allow you to do that.

Yup; both the Lenova / Logitech remote combo keyboards are propietary RF and have a limited range to the rooms they are utilized in.

That said I also utilize IR with the same Linux boxes and these are limited to line of sight.  (I do utilize repeaters with these).

I guess you could extend the USB ports using cat5e if you wanted to for the unified RF propietary combo keyboard / mouse or similiarly IR blast the remotes.

The bluetooth dongles and keyboard combo mice devices that I use do work between walls and longer distances than the above mentioned propietary RF combo keyboard/mouse devices.

There is the issue though; you embedded Linux DVR would have to have blue tooth drivers built in which I am guessing are not included in your DVRs.

I think too there are wireless KVM's around.

longview.jpg

Curious if the DVR has a web interface.  If it does then you can probably view and control it on your TV via a browser (smart TV) or say an XBMC box.  Today I do a sort of insert overlay of my security cams into XBMC or use a browser to view all of the cams on XBMC.

If we're not talking a huge distance between the 2 subject locations, then it's a no-brainer to get a USB extender and then centrally locate it. Barring that, it's easy enough to get a USB BT device and pair it to a couple of receivers, again with an extender.

If you could get drivers on the proprietary DVR, I'd say Synergy would be an option, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a plug and play install.

How about an Aten CE790 (insert your suffix to fit)? The largest item is going to be the cost....you can buy a pair of USB extenders and mice for the price of a TCP/IP KVM extender.

DELInstallations said:
A wireless mouse will not go the distance it appears you are looking for. You could do a USB extender to get around this

Yes, that's right! 

Back