Replace wired contact with wireless

Yes a wired motion requires four wires, two for power and two for the zone loop. As far as the cat goes there are pet immune motion detectors but you would have to test to see if it worked with your cat. His behavior has a lot to do with it. I think that they work best if your pes stay on the floor.

Mike.

cobra said:
Visonic makes a wireless receiver that can be used with their wireless door contacts and motions. Base model is 4 channels and can be expanded. Has tamper and battery supervision, although you would need to add those as additional zone inputs, as they are additional digital outputs. It may be a little older technology, but still works well.

I believe the Visonic MCT-304 and MCT-308 are the Visonic wireless receivers that @cobra is referring to.  I wasn't aware of them before he mentioned them.  Good to know about!

Yes, exactly right. Thanks for posting links. I have an MCT-308 in a system wired to a DSC panel for some motions and contact sensors.

It's been a while since I reviewed their hardware and I forgot about the single channel receiver. I didn't go for them as there is a lot of overhead if you hook up a single channel and also want to supervise them, with all the extra outputs you would need to connect.

mikefamig said:
What do you do - share the common between power and zone?

Mike.
Exactly. I like to do it this way as it eliminates a splice for the EOLR and you truly know what's going on with the detector with a wiring fault based on conditions.

DELInstallations said:
Exactly. I like to do it this way as it eliminates a splice for the EOLR and you truly know what's going on with the detector with a wiring fault based on conditions.

Do you think that it be a problem to share a common/negative lead between three devices, a strobe, a zone sensor and a speaker on out2? I have a 24/4 cable pulled to just above my overhead door and it would be convenient if I could get the three devices connected to the panel with the four wires.

I haven't looked at specs but I doubt that all three devices added together exceed the amperage capacity of the 24 gauge wire.

If you're below the ampacity of the conductor, no harm, no foul. 

Used to be more common to share the negative on the older panels and installs. I've done it plenty of times when I didn't have or didn't feel like repulling copper....or on exposed cabling jobs or refit/takeover.

Yes, you'll need to check the amperage of the conductor, which is the load on the circuit. The insulation may get melted when burnt upon crossing the line capacity. Safety devices like fuses are meant to keep things under control.

Back