Requesting Clamp Meter Information

hotcoffee76

Hi,

I had some feedback on measuring current in household devices (Thanks!).

A Clamp Meter was mentioned. What types to people prefer, or would recommend for general household use in measuring current on various powerbars, etc.?

Thanks!

I guess it depends on what you want to do with what you are monitoring. i.e. are you recording readings or just clamp-on, read, clamp-off?? I had a unit that Fluke made and a Voltmeter with pins on it for a serial connection. A computer logged the values ever few seconds to an excel sheet.

Its more of a test option tho as the Fluke Clamp meter is around 100 Euros/Dollars.

Let me know if i can be of any help

As I put more UPB units in the house, I want to prepare to deal with line noise if and when it occurs. Since the filters are rated to handle a maximum amperage, I want to be able to measure how much current is pulled through power bars used for computers and other things so that I know for sure that I am not exceeding the rating on the filter. Also, I am generally curious as to how much power things are drawing.

As I put more UPB units in the house, I want to prepare to deal with line noise if and when it occurs. Since the filters are rated to handle a maximum amperage, I want to be able to measure how much current is pulled through power bars used for computers and other things so that I know for sure that I am not exceeding the rating on the filter. Also, I am generally curious as to how much power things are drawing.
What you describe is exactly what the Kill-A-Watt devices are made for. You'll get better information from one of those than a clamp on meter. You can plug a PC, TV, reefer, etc. into a Kill-A-Watt and let it run a few hours or a few days and see what it's total consumption is over time. You can then easily compute your daily or yearly operating costs from that. The only things in my house I had to measure with a clamp on device were my 20 amp espresso machine and pool pumps.

FWIW, I now have 65 UPB devices and only need a filter on my Panasonic Plasma TV.

What you describe is exactly what the Kill-A-Watt devices are made for.

This seems to be the consensus. I have ordered a couple of the basic ones to try them out. Thanks to everyone who replied to this and other threads for pointing me in the right direction.

FWIW, I now have 65 UPB devices and only need a filter on my Panasonic Plasma TV.

Good to know. I have a Panasonic as well, so I'll be sure to check that first if I have any issues.

Back