Requirement-Specific Camera Recommendations

fritzycat1

Hello All,

There are plenty of opinions here on what the best cameras are, so I thought I would ask you all what you would recommend for my installation requirements.

I'm looking for a CCTV camera to install near my front door. The installation site I have selected for the camera is about 20 feet away from the front door, and would cover the front door and front porch / sidewalk.

I'm would like to keep the price of the camera around $200 or less.

Here is what I think are the requirements for the task:

1. Very light sensitive!

2. Bullet Camera - I would like to keep the installation low-profile.

3. IR Sensitive - I may use a separate IR illuminator. I don't want IR LEDs on the camera itself since that increases size and the image may get washed out if something gets too close to the IR Leds. I have another bullet camera that is NOT IR sensitive, so that I why I specify IR Sensitive as a requirement.

4. 480 lines of resolution or better. My DVR records at 640x480, so I don't think anything more than 480 will really improve the image.

5. Weatherproof - the camera will be installed outdoors (but it will be in a covered location)

6. Color - I don't have a real security reason for wanting a color camera - I just like to see images in color I guess. If there is a really good B&W camera that will meet my purposes, I would consider it.

Thanks,
Fritz

Thanks BSR,

The specs on that camera are impressive. The web site doesn't seem to indicate if it is B&W or Color. But at that price, I've got to assume it is B&W.
I may still go for it - if it is really that light sensitive, I can live without color.

If you could post a day and night screen capture from that camera, I sure would appreciate it.

Any other recommendations out there?

I had purchased two of these bullet cameras from newegg.com in the past:

APEC APC-6CB3N01D

The strange thing is that one of them works great, and has terriffic low-light sensitivity for a color camera, the other one has barely any low-light capability - it is normally completely blank at night. They must have some big variations in their manufacturing processes/parts suppliers. Something else I noticed is that one of them is sensitive to IR light, and the other is not. I suspect they use entirely different CCD sensors - even though the are the same model.?!

Newegg doesn't carry them anymore, and I can't find an online supplier, so I haven't been able to test my luck with another one. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on another if its light sensitivity is like my 'good' one.

I ordered that B&W camera from SuperCircuits - it arrived today. Only took about 4 days to deliver - not bad.

So far, I'm happy with it - small size, excellent low-light capability. I think it will do the trick. I'll provide further comment after I've lived with it a while

Although I would still like to know if anyone has recommendations for a good COLOR bullet camera with decent low-light capabililty...

Anyone?, Anyone? Bueller?

I ordered that B&W camera from SuperCircuits - it arrived today. Only took about 4 days to deliver - not bad.

So far, I'm happy with it - small size, excellent low-light capability. I think it will do the trick. I'll provide further comment after I've lived with it a while

Although I would still like to know if anyone has recommendations for a good COLOR bullet camera with decent low-light capabililty...

Anyone?, Anyone? Bueller?

I use these cameras

In the daytime they are color. At low light, the IR comes on and they switch to B&W.

Guess they don't like me. Their website shows my order as complete (5/16). I emailed and asked for a tracking number and got no reply. I called and the girl said "something about your cc, Trish will call you". Never called. Emailed again and asked what the problem is. No response.

Guess I will shop somewhere else...

Brian

Yea, their web site isn't too user friendly - mine just said 'order complete' too - no tracking number or indication that is was actually shipped. I'm sure not impressed with their web site. Apparently their cust-svc reps aren't on the ball either.

Hopefully the camera will be delivered for you - I'm testing mine now and with just a small IR illuminator (36 IR Leds - bounced off the ceiling) - it is enough to light up a completely dark room enough for the image to be very usable.

Guess they don't like me. Their website shows my order as complete (5/16). I emailed and asked for a tracking number and got no reply. I called and the girl said "something about your cc, Trish will call you". Never called. Emailed again and asked what the problem is. No response.

Guess I will shop somewhere else...

Brian

Back