[Review] MicroFlow 2000 automated registers

Chakara

I was lucky enough to win one of these guys and here is my review of the MicroFlow 2000 automated Ceiling/Wall mount HVAC registers. Although I do not yet have this bad boy mounted in anywhere, I wanted to post what I found out in figuring out how it was going to work. Also wanted to get enough information out there for you guys to make informed decisions on the product as it may be a bit before I get it installed.

The Unit

The Company

When I entered the contest it was unclear exactly what I won other than I would receive the register. Turns out Martin sent everything I would need to make this little bugger work in conjunction with my Elk M1.

Qty Product
1 MicroFlow 2000 Register
1 RCS Transformer (120V in, 24V 20VA AC out)
2 Elk-912 SPDT 12V DC activated relay (only 1 needed)

As part of the MicroFlow 2000 there were also 2 “interconnect†cables and a signal splitter. I’ll go into more details on these later.

Fortunately Martin emailed me the following documentation before the product arrived as there was none provided with the register. The only docs that came were the typical Elkishly thorough information on the relays. Not a peep on the MicroFlow itself.

Documentation

Be sure and check out the wiring diagram...

Now, here are some pics.

(Click on Picture for Full Sized Image)

Here it is next to a ceiling register in my house. You’ll notice that it is bigger but it does appear that the mounting holes will line up with mine so if installed as the instructions say (not tightened down tight with a bit of caulk/silicone around the edges) it would work fine.

The circuit board there looks more complex than it really is. Notice the 2 big contacts at J4? I applied 24V AC there and the motor would spin, ignoring the reed switch.

Here are a couple of shots that kinda show the range of motion you can expect:

Here you can see it fully open from the back side. So basically the motor turns the wheel, which pushes or pulls the actual vent cover. Also, the wheel spinning will either open or close the reed switch at 180 degree’s of rotation.

Here is the “signal splitter†they provided. Using their cabling and switches would make this very simple install for manual operation. Coming out of their switch would be a phone like cord, plugged into one or more of these splitters. Out of the splitters on to the next unit, repeat. Then they all work in conjunction from the one switch. You could also have the some units open when other were closed based on which plug on the register itself you plugged into. Of course this configuration would require you to move the plug on the register is you want to change the state of just one register. Based on this I believe they have a “master†switch to control the whole house, and then “remote†switches near each register. The “remote†switches allow you to override the “master†for one or more registers.

A quick OHM test on the “splitter†shows that all pins 1/2 3/4 and 5/6 were electrically the same. IE: pin 1 on jack 1 was shorted to Pin 1 and 2 on all 3 jacks. (Did that make any since?)

Here is how I wired it up. Notice the 12V DC power supply hooked to an appliance module. Switching that module on and off either opened or closed the register

Having it hooked to J2 (NO) made it so that when the appliance module was on the vent was open and vice versa. Moving the plug to J3 made having the module on close the vent.

Now to the operation. When I first hooked it up I didn’t think it was working it was so quiet. Other than the appliance module and Elk relay click I heard nothing. Then I finally looked at it and the damn thing had opened up LOL! Anyway, if I put my head right next to it a slight clicking can be heard from the transmission, but it is virtually silent. It takes about 15 seconds to transition from open to closed (16 seconds if you count the X10 delay)

The whole thing is made out of plastic. Guess that is why it is a ceiling/wall and not a floor unit. The plastic is plenty heavy duty for this kind of application. There are 3 different mounting hole spacing, you just drill out mounting holes as needed.

One question I do have about this unit is its status with Underwriters Laboratory. Is it UL listed for a heated ventilation system? I’m thinking along the lines of Plenum wire and whatnot. This is far from an area I know anything about, just wanted to throw it out there. Given the short run times (15 seconds) and the only apparent active component being the motor, I seriously doubt there are any issues in this area.

I think this is a great unit and can see real value having them everywhere in the house, letting your automation controller truely manage the tempuratures in different rooms. Along with some of you, I also wait the floor type automated register (my house is about 50/50 on wall/ceiling vs floor mount.)

-Chakara

Chakara;

Nice review. I copied your pics to our server so I could resize them and add thumbnail graphics (for ease of loading and so the post doesn't get "stretched out" from the increased pic sizes).

You also had some dead links.

If you need to modify or add any pics let me know.

Regards,

BSR

Chakara said:
One question I do have about this unit is its status with Underwriters Laboratory. Is it UL listed for a heated ventilation system? I’m thinking along the lines of Plenum wire and whatnot.
I did notice the UL on their transformer. That's the end of the high (120v) voltage. My understanding is that UL testing is unnecessary for anything that is under 40 volts, and is isolated from the AC line. So the UL listed transformer may give them all they need for UL listing.

As for running their cables in a plenum, I have no idea. I do know that cable manufactures make some cables with a plenum rating (usually with a PVC outer jacket), but I don't know what the concern is: heat? voltage? tearing on sharp edges of sheet metal? Flopping around in the wind?

Anyone know?

rocco said:
As for running their cables in a plenum, I have no idea. I do know that cable manufactures make some cables with a plenum rating (usually with a PVC outer jacket), but I don't know what the concern is: heat? voltage? tearing on sharp edges of sheet metal? Flopping around in the wind?

Anyone know?
The problem is fumes if the insulation on the wiring burns. Since the wire is in part of the air circulation system, noxious fumes may be circulated throughout the building - including places the fire hasn't reached. The plenum-rated wire is meant to reduce or eliminate these fumes.

http://www.answers.com/plenum&r=67

Plenum spaces in buildings are spaces for air circulation in air conditioning systems. Structured cabling and fibre optic cable is frequently laid in plenum spaces. To prevent excessive fire risk, there are strict restrictions on the kind of cable installations which are permitted in plenum spaces. See Plenum cable.

plenum
In a building, the space between the real ceiling and the dropped ceiling, which is often used as an air duct for heating and air conditioning. It is also filled with electrical, telephone and network wires. See plenum cable.

Plenum cable
Plenum Cable is cable that is layed in the plenum spaces of buildings. Plenum cabling almost always has a strong fire retardant coating such as teflon.

That was a nice review - thanks.

One question, you have it connected to an appliance module. Have you tried hooking it up to one of the digital outputs on the Elk? I would think that would work even better.

No doubt it would work fine on one of the Elk outputs. Output 3 could even replace the Elk relay you provided completely as it has the same functionality (SPDT).

Actually, right now my intention for this is to put it in my bedroom as a "Exhaust" vent for the swamp cooler. I will have an Elk keypad in the bedroom for tempurature readings and control it based on that.

When you are using evaporative cooling, you do not recirculate the air. The reason being the air would get too humid and stop evaporating water. So, instead they blow the air into the house and you get to choose how to vent it to the outside, generally by opening a few windows.

Based on this, what rooms are best cooled by the swamp cooler is better controlled by how you let the air out, rather than in. I'm going to vent the overpressure in the house to my attic. Figure it can't hurt to cool things down up there a bit while were at it.....

Wow-learn something new all the time on here !

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking a swamp cooler was a styrofoam box under the seat of an airboat !

Back