Review of Schlage BE369Z-Wave Controlled Dead Bolt anyone?

rscott

I'm looking at purchasing a few of these products: http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/product_inf...roducts_id=3912. Has anyone here personally used one that could provide a brief review? I'm specifically wondering:

- The site specifically says it cannot be controlled without the LiNK Bridge. If it's z-wave, shouldn't it be controllable with something like a USB ThinkStick?
- Does it lock/unlock easily and reliably using z-wave?
- Does polling the status (locked or not-locked) always work reliably?
- How long does the battery really last if the lock is locked/unlocked daily with z-wave commands?

Thanks in advance -

R

Good questions.

I was turned off by these locks based on the info I saw. Selling a lock that only works remotely via a subscription model is a pure money grab by the manufacturer. The 5 year total cost of ownership for this lock would be over $1000. Hopefully for the HA enthusiast it can be used stand-alone via Z-wave, but from their marketing info, it sure doesn't seem that way.

I'm waiting for the updated Leviton VRC0P serial interface to support the Kwikset locks and will be going that route.

Once the VRC0P is updated, you will be able to interface the Kwikset and Schlage locks with serial devices that have drivers for it such as HAI, ELK, Crestron, AMX, etc.

Once the VRC0P is updated, you will be able to interface the Kwikset and Schlage locks with serial devices that have drivers for it such as HAI, ELK, Crestron, AMX, etc.

Thanks.

Will I be able to use the USB ThinkStick from Leviton to interface with the lock or is using this VRCP0P the only way?

I have not heard anything about an update to the ThinkStick/ThinkEssentials to support the locks.

Many of us have been hacking Powerbolts and others for years this way by using IO outputs from our panels to trigger the remote. I don't see where the hack shown has hardware outputs - it's using hardwired inputs to trigger the remote like has been done previously. I also don't see any position tracking for the deadbolt. That is where the draw of the newer Schlage and Kwikset Z-Wave deadbolts comes in. One interface for lock, unlock and feedback status with no keyfob hacking.

FYI, HomeSeer can now control the Schlage using the Aeon SmartStick USB controller or their own HomeTroller Zwave controller. I also believe at least one other company (is it MiCasa??) provides control for the Schlage without using that ridiculous on-line subscription service.

Don't forget, you can't actual control the deadbolt movement on the Schlage locks. That's why I'm holding off until the KwiKset deadbolts arrive.

Good questions.

I was turned off by these locks based on the info I saw. Selling a lock that only works remotely via a subscription model is a pure money grab by the manufacturer. The 5 year total cost of ownership for this lock would be over $1000. Hopefully for the HA enthusiast it can be used stand-alone via Z-wave, but from their marketing info, it sure doesn't seem that way.

I'm waiting for the updated Leviton VRC0P serial interface to support the Kwikset locks and will be going that route.

I agree. A few years ago Kwikset had a keyfob controlled lock that could be hacked. I thought about buying a few then but wasn't ready for them at the time. Now that their subscription version is available, the other keyfob model is conveniently discontinued. Go figure.

I just can't bring myself to buy a brand with the name " morning industries" never heard of them. I am so used to Kwikset, Schlage, medeco, Best, etc...They don't even specify what key format they use, at least on smarthome's site, anyway...or not that I could find. Is it their own key blank or do they use common formats (rant over)

Don't forget, you can't actual control the deadbolt movement on the Schlage locks. That's why I'm holding off until the KwiKset deadbolts arrive.

That was the key point that I was going to point out.

I pre-ordered (2) of the Kwikset deadbolts myself via the deal ASI had before this month. Im awaiting on their arrival as well. Unfortunately, I dont have any Z-wave devices yet, so I dont have any way to test that functionality yet :D

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I wanted to respond to some of the questions posed about the Morning Lock. Wayne referred to my post over at Universal-Devices earlier in this thread.

I was driven toward the Morning lock by the fact that I was finishing my basement and would much of my wiring access to my ELK alarm panel. I needed a solution for door locking since my family had demonstrated that the were incapable of locking doors. At that time, my options were Schlage, Kwikset, and Morning.

As posted earlier, the Schlage deadbolt does not include a motor for actuating the lock. It simply enables or disables the manual lock mechanism. The Kwikset deadbolt offered a lot of promise (I really liked the feature set), but it was still months away from release. I elected to go with the Morning Industry deadbolt and the Insteon IOlinc kit as an evaluation.

As others have indicated, "Morning Industries" isn't exactly a well known name in the lock business. I've used Schlage for 40+ years and was skeptical that an off brand could provide the same level of quality and security. Quite honestly, when my home was build in 2000, Kwikset "builder series" locks were installed. I replaced these with Schlage within a week.

I've had the Morning deadbolt for over 9 months now. I must say that I'm rather impressed. The lock uses a standard Schlage SC1 Keyway (5-pin), and the construction/materials seem to be of good quality. As I indicated, I'm using the lock with proximity detector confirmation interfaced to my ELK panel and ISY-99 control. The ISY/ELK confirmation provides Email notification of access as well as notification of any lock confirmation failures (I haven't had any since the dead of winter when I had to adjust the door strike for the -15 degree temperatures).

As I noted above, another of my requirements was lock confirmation on all doors. For this I "standardized" on a proximity sensor that was I could use with the Elk alarm inputs (PNP and NPN outputs). I use these sensors on both my Pella sliding door Foot-locks and the deadbolts on my swingers. The slim form factor and non-contact sensing ability of these devices is just too cool.

I now have two doors with the Morning deadbolts and SH has since moved to the far more aesthetically pleasing "Morninlinc". In general I'm very happy with the product, quality, and reliability of my system. I'll agree that the new Kwikset offering looks sexy and offers the same functionality of my "system" in a single device. However, given the current retail prices, I can complete the installation on all the entry doors for my house and stay below the Kwikset cost.

Good questions.

Homeseer and Vera from Micasaverde do support the Schlage locks free of charge. The big thing is the Schlage deadbolt is it is not motorized. However, the door lock is motorized.

As posted earlier, the Schlage deadbolt does not include a motor for actuating the lock. It simply enables or disables the manual lock mechanism. The Kwikset deadbolt offered a lot of promise (I really liked the feature set), but it was still months away from release. I elected to go with the Morning Industry deadbolt and the Insteon IOlinc kit as an evaluation.

If it doesn't have a motor for actuating the lock, then exactly what does it do? If there is a deadbolt through the jamb of your door, then something has to move it out of the way to be able to open the door. Of course, usually that something is your hand turning your key.

If it doesn't have a motor for actuating the lock, then exactly what does it do? If there is a deadbolt through the jamb of your door, then something has to move it out of the way to be able to open the door. Of course, usually that something is your hand turning your key.

From the Schlage site : http://link.schlage.com/PRODUCTS/Pages/KeypadDeadbolt.aspx

Features:
* Schlage Wireless Keypad Lock can be added to a Z-Wave network within your home
* Installation and set up are simple. When paired with the Schlage Bridge, the wireless keypad lock is securely connected to the Internet. You’ll be up and running quickly!
* Web-based access means greater peace of mind, no matter where you travel
* Confirm the status of your Wireless Keypad Lock from anywhere with any Internet-enabled computer and most Internet-enabled cell phones
* Uses 128 bit AES encryption for security
* Remotely grant access to the home- Deadbolt requires manually turning the bolt to lock and unlock the door when activated remotely
* Assign up to 19 personalized 4 digit codes for each member of your household to use at the door
* Wireless Keypad Lock has up to 3 years of battery life
* Provides battery level status at the lock and via the web
* Easily program Schlage LiNK to send automatic text or email updates so you’ll always know who’s home

Additional comments on the Door installation for motorized deadbolts:
1) Motorized deadbolts tend to function better on metal doors that use magnetic seals. The magnetic seal will pull the door into the closed position and allow free operation of the deadbolt mechanism. I had to "adjust" (file) my door strike a couple of times over winter when the temperature plummeted causing the seals to contract.
2) While the mechanical operation is improved on metal doors/magnetic seals, range suffers due to the position of the antenna next to the metal door. Morning suggests a spacer between the inside lock assembly and the door. I'm using a 1/8" fluorosilicone gasket and have about 30' range.
3) Doors with compression deals can be a bit of a challenge. You need to ensure that the handset strike is positioned to compress the door seals and allow free operation of the deadbolt.
4) The Kwikset deadbolts claim to have a tapered bolt that allows them to overcome problems with minor misalignment. This, combined with a gear reduction drive (a lot of force margin), could make things far more user friendly and allow the use of compression seals. High force margin implies high strength materials ($$$) or broken parts if the bolt truly interferes with the strike.
5) I have not tried a motorized handset. I don't understand how these could function with a door using compression seals.

Back