Rewiring a Casablanca Inteli-Touch Fan Insteon Fanlinc with Casablanca Inteli-Touch Fan

bbruck

I have a Casablanca Inteli-Touch fan that I want to use with an Insteon Fanlinc.

I have disassembled the fan and can see the wires as shown on page 6 of the attached wiring diagram. Attaching the Fanlinc wires to the white and black for the fan's light kit is pretty straight forward, as is attaching the Fanlinc power wires.

The three remaining wires are a little bit of mystery to me. The diagram (see attached pdf) shows the following:

Red --|
| 60 Ohm
White-| 120 Ohm
| 60 Ohm
Brown-|

I'm guessing that I either need to select one of the red or brown and the white to attach to the Fanlinc (where the other one would have the fan going the opposite way) OR that these are used in combination with the triacs to give 3 of the six speed settings and that my only option is to pick the red OR the brown to attach to teh Fanlinc in combination with the white.

I'm hoping that someone with a smidge of electrical experience might be willing to look at this and give me a hint as to how to proceed.

(I'm also assuming that no matter what I do, I'll lose the ability to ever reverse the fan, but am willing to accept that price to control it with Indigo.)

The text below the diagram says the following:

The microcomputer sends commands to the light drive
module, (LDM), which in turn controls the on/off and dimming
range of the light fixture. Note: The microcomputer “reads” the
presence of the LDM by detecting the operation of a small light
emitting diode within the optocoupler on the LDM.
The microcomputer also controls the direction of the fan
through a small reversing relay mounted on the
RMM circuit board.
To control motor speed, the microcomputer selects one of
six outputs, each of which turns on an electronic switch known
as a triac. These six triacs are located on the RMM circuit board.
In high speed, a triac drives the motor directly. In all other
speeds, a triac drives the motor through one or all five dropping
resistors contained within the BFR. This reduces power to the
motor while maintaining a pure sine wave drive.

Time to revive this topic. I just attempted an install. What i found.... The easy stuff first, it is possible to do forward and reverse. Use a micro on/off to power a single pole double throw relay ( a form c contact) connect the red fan linc to the common and the red and brown wires to the other 2 terminals. The relay will switch the power to the fan. i tested this and it works but you need to let the fan come to a stop first! 

ok on to the fan linc I have mixed results.  The fan seems to run fine at high and med speed. But it will not start on its own.. Needs a push in one direction. So what this is telling me is something is up with the fanlinc or the way the motor was wired, Like cooconer I used one pair to the motor (ie red and write) I removed the intelitouch. at low the fan is off..  Any Ideas...

I am thinking there is some type of start capacitor to bump the motor to start that is not part of fanlinc.

Boy I hope you find the secret! I have five beautiful Casablancas that I don't want to replace with cheap white fans, but would love to control!

mspsc_01.gif

Seems like you want to connect the red wire to the red fanlinc wire, the white wire to neutral, and a capacitor with the same rating as the one in the removed controller between brown and red.

Bill B said:
I have a Casablanca Inteli-Touch fan that I want to use with an Insteon Fanlinc.

I have disassembled the fan and can see the wires as shown on page 6 of the attached wiring diagram. Attaching the Fanlinc wires to the white and black for the fan's light kit is pretty straight forward, as is attaching the Fanlinc power wires.

The three remaining wires are a little bit of mystery to me. The diagram (see attached pdf) shows the following:

Red --|
| 60 Ohm
White-| 120 Ohm
| 60 Ohm
Brown-|

I'm guessing that I either need to select one of the red or brown and the white to attach to the Fanlinc (where the other one would have the fan going the opposite way) OR that these are used in combination with the triacs to give 3 of the six speed settings and that my only option is to pick the red OR the brown to attach to teh Fanlinc in combination with the white.

I'm hoping that someone with a smidge of electrical experience might be willing to look at this and give me a hint as to how to proceed.

(I'm also assuming that no matter what I do, I'll lose the ability to ever reverse the fan, but am willing to accept that price to control it with Indigo.)

The text below the diagram says the following:

The microcomputer sends commands to the light drive
module, (LDM), which in turn controls the on/off and dimming
range of the light fixture. Note: The microcomputer “reads” the
presence of the LDM by detecting the operation of a small light
emitting diode within the optocoupler on the LDM.
The microcomputer also controls the direction of the fan
through a small reversing relay mounted on the
RMM circuit board.
To control motor speed, the microcomputer selects one of
six outputs, each of which turns on an electronic switch known
as a triac. These six triacs are located on the RMM circuit board.
In high speed, a triac drives the motor directly. In all other
speeds, a triac drives the motor through one or all five dropping
resistors contained within the BFR. This reduces power to the
motor while maintaining a pure sine wave drive.
hi bill i have the same issue, i don't see the attached pdf you mentioned in this post, can you send me the "attached pdf"  [email protected] or  the download link, thank you

I eventually bought a cheap casablanca fan with no remote control, so I could use my $1,000 (!!!) fabric blades, then used an insteon fan controller. Works like a charm.

It would be so easy for these fan manufacturers to just add a switch which locks the fan in high speed.

Bill B said:
I eventually bought a cheap casablanca fan with no remote control, so I could use my $1,000 (!!!) fabric blades, then used an insteon fan controller. Works like a charm.
It would be so easy for fan manufacturers to just add a switch locking the fan in high speed, but of course they never will. I did modify a bedroom fan to remove the remote so my three-speed UPB controller could control it. I gave up on another fan and just use a relay switch to turn it on and off. I still use the stupid remote to change the speed. At least it remembers the speed when turned back on.

Back