RF based temp readings? Or how to get Temperature reports?

RichTJ99

Hi,

I was thinking how nice it would be to put a Thermometer both inside & outside my home. I was also thinking it would be nice for it to be wireless. What do people use for temp readings? I am using Insteon & Homeseer if that matters.

Thanks,
Rich

Hi,

I was thinking how nice it would be to put a Thermometer both inside & outside my home. I was also thinking it would be nice for it to be wireless. What do people use for temp readings? I am using Insteon & Homeseer if that matters.

Thanks,
Rich

I have a Z-Troller with a couple of the HomeSeer HSM100 'multi-sensors' (HSM100 = PIR motion detector, relative light meter, temperature reporting). That all works with HomeSeer2 (Z-Wave). I have one HSM100 mounted in a weather protected area outside and the other one inside. I use these devices to control a 'whole house' ventilation fan based on temperature (cooling only). That has worked reliably for my set up. The HSM100 is a true wireless (RF) device. I am not aware of a INSTEON wireless solution at this point in time.

Ken

If you have/use a W800 the new Beta3 of the ACRF plugin can now read some of the Oregon Scientific sensors. Jon is currently adding support for multi-sensors as well.
http://www.digitalgiftstore.com/weather-st...sciensenan.html

Rupp,

The W800 can receive 32 bits only and is able to receive X10 and the RFXSensor temperature, humidity and barometric pressure sensors.

The RFXCOM 433.92MHz X10-Oregon-KlikOnKlikOff-DomiaLite-ATI receiver is able to receive all those protocols including Digimax, RFXSensor and RFXMeter.
The new ACRF2 plugin will support the Oregon Scientific sensors soon.
The ACRF and ACRF2 plug-in supports the RFXSensor (with the use of the W800 or RFXCOM) and the RFXMeter with the use the RFXCOM receiver.

For a comparison see of the W800 and RFXCOM receivers see http://www.domoticaforum.eu/uploaded/b_wei...W800_RFXCOM.pdf

Bert

Thanks for clearing that up Bert. I'll edit my response to reflect the errors.

So the WF800 can get a RFXSensor temperature reading?

It looks like its $57 dollars per temp sensor? Im not interested in Humidity (maybe that is short sighted).

Is this all I would need?

310MHz RFXSensor Type-3
with temperature sensor
Order code: 40065

or I could get this one:

A temperature and humidity sensor with 310MHz RF transmitter and a 1-Wire protocol for external sensor.
A 310MHz transmitter is for use in the US or Canada.

Do I need anything else aside from that one item like another reciever, or will the WF800 work with just the sensors?

Rich,

The 40065 RFXSensor is the only thing to order.
You have a W800 and if you have Homeseer version 2, you will be able to receive and process the received signals from the 40065.
If you decide later that you need a humidity sensor too, you simply add a HIH4000 in the RFXSensor and it will operate.

The xAP plug-in is able to handle the RFXSensor.
The ACRF plug-in is also able to handle the RFXSensor and at the RFXCOM download page there is free charting software available that displays the temperature, humidity and battery voltage of the RFXSensor.

Bert

Bert,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have HS2, the W800, and the ACRF plugin. So it sounds like I would only need the Rfxcom sensor.

I can get a 40065 - temp only or a 60065 - temp & humidity - plus any additional plugins I would like from this list:

60010 Temperature sensor DS18B20
60011 Temperature sensor DS2438
60012 Temperature sensor DS2438 and Humidity sensor
60013 Temperature sensor DS2438 and Barometric pressure sensor
60014 Water Tight Temperature sensor DS18B20

However any of those plugins will require a power adapter & a place to plug it in (no batteries).

If I am interested in seeing the temps of two locations, I should purchase two separate 40065's?

Can you paint the sensors (to match the exterior of a house?

Thanks,
Rich

Rich,

The 40065 RFXSensor is the only thing to order.
You have a W800 and if you have Homeseer version 2, you will be able to receive and process the received signals from the 40065.
If you decide later that you need a humidity sensor too, you simply add a HIH4000 in the RFXSensor and it will operate.

The xAP plug-in is able to handle the RFXSensort.
The ACRF plug-in is also able to handle the RFXSensor and at the RFXCOM download page there is free charting software available that displays the temperature, humidity and battery voltage of the RFXSensor.

Bert

Rich,

The RFXSensor 40065 and 60065 can have up to 7 additional wired sensors of type 60010 to 60014 connected.
The additional sensors are connected to the RFXSensor using a 1-Wire interface (3 wires).
The additional sensors are powered by the RFXSensor battery. This implies that if you connect more sensors the battery life will be shorter. As an example I have an RFXSensor 40065 with an 60010 connected and this configuration ran 28 months on one battery.
When you have a lot of additional sensors connected and also humidity and barometric sensors it is better to power the RFXSensor by a DC power adaptor. The RFXSensor has a voltage regulator inside and the external voltage can therefore be somewhere between 7 and 15 Volts DC.

The RFXSensor and all additonal sensors can be used outside but they must be protected against water. If you live in a place where temperatures reach values below 0 degrees celsius it is advised to use additional sensors outside and mount an RFXSensor inside. This is because the batteries don't like low temperatures.

You can paint the sensors in any colour you like. There are a few small holes in the enclosures that must be left open for the humidity and temperature sensor.

Bert

Bert,

Sorry to bother you again on this. I am getting ready to order & just want to be 100% sure I am getting what I need.

I need a 40065 Temperature (is there a reason why 310mhz is prefered to 433mhz?). I am under the impression that this wireless sensor has one built in temperture module. I can also add up to 7 other 1 wire modules (who happen to have 3 wires).

The 60065 is the same as the 40065 except it also has a humidity sensor in it (I might opt for this since its only 22 bucks more but I dont think I need it).

So either the 40065 - temp
or the 60054 - Temp + Humidity

Does the setup include the 3 wires needed to connect additional items? Is there are particular gauge required if not?

The other optional sensors:

60010 Temperature sensor DS18B20 - Extra Temp Sensor
60011 Temperature sensor DS2438 - Extra Temp sensor (not sure about how this is different than the 60010)
60012 Temperature sensor DS2438 and Humidity sensor -
60013 Temperature sensor DS2438 and Barometric pressure sensor
60014 Water Tight Temperature sensor DS18B20 - is this a stand alone cable that just gets wired into the 40065?

I think thats it except for figuring out how many feet 10 meters is :) But that I can use Google to find out.

Thanks,
Rich

Rich,

The choice 310MHz or 433.92MHz is dictated by the type of receiver you have.
The US and Canadian X10 sensors are transmitting at 310MHz so the receiver used is also 310MHz. In other countries the frequency used for X10 is 433.92MHz.

The 40065 and 60065 RFXSensors have a 3 pin Jack input. A 3 pin Jack plug is delivered with the sensors.
The maximum cable length we have tested was 10 meter (about 30ft). It is expected that much longer cable lengths can be used but this depends highly on the quality of the cable used.
Here is more 1-Wire information: http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/148
The additional wired sensors are using a DS18B20 or DS2438. Other 1-Wire sensors are not supported.

The 60010 is a temperature sensor using the DS18B20 inside. The DS18B20 is a temperature sensor only.

The 60011 is a temperature sensor using the DS2438. The DS2438 is a temperture sensor and has a connection possibility for a humidity sensor, a barometric pressure sensor or an A/D input for 0 - 10 Volts DC. The 60011 has connection points for all 3 options.
The RFXSensor is also using the DS2438 inside and has a connection possibility for a humidity sensor (installed in the 60065)
The DS2438 has also a supply voltage sensor. The supply voltage is used in the humidity and baro formulas because the values depends on the supply voltage. When the supply voltage drops below 4.5Volt the RFXSensor will transmit a battery low.

The RFXSensor documentation is available at: http://www.rfxcom.com/downloads.htm

Bert

Back