RG-6 as Power for Camera

Len12121

I am going to help a friend change his security cameras to a new type. The previous installer used RG-6 as power wire to cameras to supply 12v. Is this acceptable? If so does anyone know the current capacity at 12v of RG-6? These are IP cameras and there is cat6 run to connect to switch.

Not sure about current capacity, but Time Warner uses RG6 to power their amplifiers (I have one in my house).

I guess it depends on the center conductor AWG. It also depends on the length especially at 12vdc.

More than likely you'd be fine depending on the current draw of the new IP cameras.

There's a lot of variables here.

I'm sure this was already a consideration - but the P.O.E. cameras work quite well and need no seperate power wires. "Power Over Ethernet". Of course you do need a special hub or power setup at the near end.

I'm sure this was already a consideration - but the P.O.E. cameras work quite well and need no seperate power wires. "Power Over Ethernet". Of course you do need a special hub or power setup at the near end.

The problem with providing power over an RG6 or any coax (RG179, RG59 etc) is that it is a single ended medium without a return current path other than the shield. In general you shouldn't rely on a shield to carry supply current.

That said it will probably work, and I can't remember the gauge on RG6 but I think it is like AWG 18 which is probably fine for what you need it for. Also if you have any in line disconnects you end up carrying the return current through the connector shell which again isn't the best thing, and could give you reliability problems eventually.

If you were in a situation where EMI was a concern (for example I work in the aircraft/avionics industry) this would type of solution would probably have all kinds of issues since you are effectively polluting your power supply. Which will probably result in degraded video.

The problem with providing power over an RG6 or any coax (RG179, RG59 etc) is that it is a single ended medium without a return current path other than the shield. In general you shouldn't rely on a shield to carry supply current.

That said it will probably work, and I can't remember the gauge on RG6 but I think it is like AWG 18 which is probably fine for what you need it for. Also if you have any in line disconnects you end up carrying the return current through the connector shell which again isn't the best thing, and could give you reliability problems eventually.

If you were in a situation where EMI was a concern (for example I work in the aircraft/avionics industry) this would type of solution would probably have all kinds of issues since you are effectively polluting your power supply. Which will probably result in degraded video.
You would have to abandon RG6 idea to use POE - and use cat 5 - thats why I suggested it had already been considered, yet since cameras were being replaced, threw it out there... Or perhaps you were not meaning to quote me?

I am going to help a friend change his security cameras to a new type. The previous installer used RG-6 as power wire to cameras to supply 12v. Is this acceptable? If so does anyone know the current capacity at 12v of RG-6? These are IP cameras and there is cat6 run to connect to switch.

There are a few cameras out there that send both power and signal through the same RG-6 line:

http://www.amazon.com/Net-Media-CAModulato...r/dp/B00006JPV1

I am still trying to figure why they used RG-6 for power????? A box of 18/2 power cable would be much more reliable and cheaper!

Back