RG6 / CAT6 in each Room (need help)

wryork

A design question you guys might be able to help me with for my video network. During my pre-wiring designing phase, I identified 12 TV locations to wire. Only two of these locations would be consider HD locations in the near future (~5 years). The media room and the great room off the kitchen. The rest of the locations would be SDTV and I would not be HD required. Places like the kids rooms, kitchen, garage, screened in back porch, etc will have standard tvs.

Now I don't have this many existing TVs, but I want to pre-wire now for obvious reasons. I was planning runing 4 RG6 and 2 CAT6 to the HD locations, but what would you guys recommend for me to run to each of the SD TV locations to provide me the greatest flexibility? I was thinking 2 RG6 and 2 CAT6. I was planning for HD PRV receivers at the locations for HD requirements. Then I will figure out later how to get video to the rest of the locations.

I know some of this is how I plan to centralize or distribute video, but I haven't decided on the best layout. Probably won't have those details until I move in. But I would like to know that I have the greatest flexibility to go different directions.

Any thoughts to a smart strategy?

Thanks,
Bill

I am no expert, but I just went through this and have just completed running all of the wire. I decided on a system that has everything rack mounted in a centralized location
so I ran a few extras to each location.

The single most consistent suggestion I found was to run conduit. I ended up doing this in addition to running all of the individual wires to each outlet. I just ran the conduit to the closest unfinshed/accessible area and will run whatever I need down the road. The conduit is (relatively) inexpensive.

think about were the tv will go . . . many locations (like bed rooms) will have the TV up high, close to the ceiling on a shelf/bracket . . . you'll need power a these locations as well . . .

Pete C

Thanks Pete...I have added power to all the locations where I am putting drops as many are up high.

ctwilliams: what did you land at each of your locations to support a centralized distribution? And I did ask to have conduit put in a few key locations. I'm trying hard to put things in now so I don't have to use any time soon. :lol:

wryork said:
Thanks Pete...I have added power to all the locations where I am putting drops as many are up high.

ctwilliams: what did you land at each of your locations to support a centralized distribution? And I did ask to have conduit put in a few key locations. I'm trying hard to put things in now so I don't have to use any time soon. :lol:
I wanted to be able to go with HD or SD at any location by either the use of a stb at that location or a centralized PVR. (It is still vaporware, but Directv is supposed to come out with a distributed system that uses a "server" with multiple clients that will run either over rg6 or cat5). I also wanted to try and stay with HDMI as opposed to component runs due to the uncertainty of the use of component at full resolution due to drm (which sucks).

So, I ran 2 RG6 that would be used for a pvr or stb, one cat 6 for a gigabit network, 1 cat 5e and 1 shielded cat5e for use with the new HDMI over cat 5 products (a couple recommend the shielded cat5 for one of their two required cables) and then another cat 5e for some unknown purpose, but right now for IR distribution.

People over on the avs forums are having good luck with 50' runs of HDMI cable even though they are not supposed to be that long. Since they are cheaper than the HDMI over cat5 products, I will be trying a few of those as well.

I am going to install a 19" rack and terminate the cables into patch panels. I attached a picture of the current mess that I have. I hope my labels do not fall off.

Attachments

• cables_1024.JPG
    cables_1024.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 79
Thanks for the pix. I'm dreading what my strucutre wiring panel will look like as well. I need to get some good quality labels.

If I'm reading this correctly, you are installing the following at each TV location:
2 RG6
4 CATx = (1 CAT6; 2 CAT5e; 1 CAT5e shielded)

Correct?

I was planning to use RG6 QS solid copper. You?

That is correct. I also used the copper core quad shield. I have not hooked anything up yet to test, so as of right now I am hoping for the best. I do not know if what I did will take care of all my future needs, but I hope so. That and the conduit.

CT

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that Channel Vision sells an HDMI zero loss video extender using a single cable (but it's not coax)

The P-1400

Back