RS 232 cable pin out for Uplink 4500EZ and connector type.

Mp333

Looking for the pin out on the uplink4500ez serial connection. The cable uplink sells is only 48" long. I need to mount the uplink on second floor. M1g is in the basement. It only uses three pins. Send, Receive and Ground. Need to fabricate the cable
Also wondering what kind of Molex connector it uses?

LakeHouse said:
Looking at the Spec sheet and installation documents for the 4500EZ, I don't see that it has a serial connection. It appears to just have some discrete inputs including a siren input to detect steady for burg and pulsed for fire. I can't attach the spec sheet because the file is too large but this is the link:

http://5dbac693dd2a1f5c9e59-3dd52e7a0742c9998a2c4da56669a13f.r79.cf2.rackcdn.com/pdf-4500EZ.pdf
According to uplink it does. Not sue why it's not listed on the specs.

If it's just a serial port, with the 3 standard pins, you can easily run this over a long Cat 5/5e/6 drop, assuming it isn't a high speed connection, as this would limit the length of the run.

According to sales and tech support it definitely has serial port on it. However can't tell me the pin out:). Just hate buying a $50 cable to figure out the pins:/

DELInstallations said:
Easier would be to put the XSP at the cell before extending the cable for the serial interface to the 4500
Yes indeed. That's an option. Didn't think of that one. Thanks Del
So what I am figuring you one XSP per device. ie. uplink, Lutron and Thermostat.
I wonder if there is any other product that gives multiple serial out from RS485on a single board?.

While I'm sure someone will go through the effort to attempt to reverse engineer Elk's RS485 protocol, there's no off the shelf item.

So I am buying a new ELK system to replace an old Caretaker Plus.  Like the Elk option because it can use my existing wireless sensors.  Will purchase the following:

ELK-M1GSYS4 (ELK system)
ELK-M1XEP (Ethernet port)
ELK-M1XRFEG (Wireless receiver)
Uplink 4500EZ

Question - what is best way to connect the 4500EZ?  Will use as a backup cellular.  I would like the 4500EZ up one flight from the panel (panel in basement with bad cellular).  Also, what else do I need with the 4500EZ?  Power supply, battery, housing, etc?  It is very difficult to get information on this as Uplink wont talk to me as a user.

The easiest, besides the XSP would be to get Elk's 983 supply and then get an appropriate battery. The large item is the power supply needs to support up to 2A of inrush for a brief period, since the uplinks hit that for miliseconds when they first transmit....some supplies can handle it, others can't. I've had good luck with Elk's and Altronix (both sized appropriately).

The manual says 500ma on the 4500. (I think the 2500 said 2A). Do you still need a 2A power supply for the 4500? Or would AL624 work? I was hoping to piggy back of my existing p212s, but that is running other alarm devices (couple of motions) and I read it was not recommended.

Personally, for what a power supply like a Elk 624 costs and a battery for the cell itself, IMHO, it's a no-brainer to have headroom. I just looked it up and it's 500 mA load, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an inrush, which I'd have to ask some engineers about.

We still have spotty 4G coverage where our accounts are mainly located, so the installation of 4500's (or the other uplinks) haven't really made much sense for us in our area. For some customers, we provided a cost analysis of what the 2500 costs vs. the 4500 and what the cost of adding the "uplink replacement" monthly on to the account and it makes more sense to just replace the 2500's once the sunset comes to play in our area. I'm sure once the dates start looming, it might not be the case, but right now is a different story.

Del, i thought the 4500 could use 2g?

Anyway, we are in urban area, so not too worried about coverage.

What size battery would you recommend for 12hrs plus standby? How is this calculated?

Good point on the cost. but you do need to add the low battery shut off as well. I think that adds 20$ or so.

Back