Rule that runs for long duration (vacation)

RobNJ

Hello -

I have an old X10 PC interface that I still use (yes, I know X10, but I have so many old modules).  Each time I go on vacation I have some regular timers that I adjust for each time period.  It turns on lights at "random" times to make the home look occupied.

I was thinking of moving this over to the ELK, since the X10 inerface module is pretty old and clunky to use.  I was thinking of setting up a button on my keypad to enter vacation mode for lighting that will run a set of rules during the time I am gone.  I would end the rule when I get home.  I cant use the vacation mode setting of ELK since my mother-in-law will stop in to take care of the pets and when she exits the home she only leaves via one door, which has a small M1KPAS, which does not have vacation option on it.  Plus, I would rather not rely on her entering vacation mode on the keypad anyway.....

Is it ok to have a rule that runs all day for several days?  Does this have any adverse affects on performance or cause any issues?  The rule would repeat each day turning on various lights at various times.  My gut feeling is this is not a problem, but I wanted to get some feedback.

I dont suppose ELK can duplicate the X10 modules "security" mode, which randomly adjusts timer start and end times slightly to make it appear more like someone is home? 

Thanks

Why not just use the step arming and enable "vacation" on the keypad...no additional buttons needed, even with a KPAS (just teach her to press "EXIT" until the speaker announces "VACATION" or whatever you put in there.

It's going to be more to teach her to press buttons or do other things instead of step arming IMHO.

That's what rules are designed to do....makes no difference about time or how long they run/don't run.

The M1 isn't as dynamic and "random" X10 unit appears, but it can come close to the same functionality but requires more thought and programming compared to entering a "vacation" mode on a single controller. If anything it's a far more robust solution, though not as elegant through simplicity.

Thanks for the reply.  The door she always exits from has only a M1KPAS, which I dont think is able to arm in vacation (I will have to check).
What I was going to do is enter the vacation task myself when I leave, then it will run the entire duration until I stop it when I get home.  This removes her from the equation.  If I try and change her exit procedure now, I am only going to cause more confusion.

Sounds like the duration/length is not an issue.  So now I need to start creating the rule.  I am using about 20% of the memory so far in the M1, so I have no issues there.

I am certainly no pro with the M1 but here is what I do.  Some folks here may have ways to improve my logic.  I am at work but when I get home this evening I can copy-paste my rules if you would like to see them.

I have a task that toggles an output.  Let's call this output VacationOnOutput.  When I am leaving on vacation I run a task to turn on the output and when I return from vacation I run the task to turn off the output.

Now, I have a bunch of rules that work something like this:
WHENEVER it is DARK OUTSIDE
AND VacationOnOutput is ON
THEN TURN ON light1 FOR 30 MINUTES
AND TURN ON light7 FOR 50 MINUTES

AND TURN ON light22 FOR 10 MINUTES
AND TURN ON VacationOutput2 FOR 50 MINUTES

WHENEVER VacationOutput2 IS TURNED OFF
THEN TURN ON light3 FOR 75 MINUTES
AND TURN ON light12 FOR 60 MINUTES

AND TURN ON light31 FOR 25 MINUTES
AND TURN ON VacationOutput3 FOR 75 MINUTES

WHENEVER VacationOutput3 IS TURNED OFF
THEN TURN ON light4 FOR 30 MINUTES
AND TURN ON light14 FOR 45 MINUTES

AND TURN ON light27 FOR 20 MINUTES
AND TURN ON VacationOutput4 FOR 45 MINUTES

WHENEVER VacationOutput4 IS TURNED OFF
THEN TURN ON light6 FOR 15 MINUTES
AND TURN ON light17 FOR 40 MINUTES

AND TURN ON light38 FOR 80 MINUTES

The idea here is to [somewhat] randomize the lights turning on and off.  You can add as many steps as you wish.  I think that I actually run about 7 or 8 steps.

There's other ways to drive it, via phantom outputs or counters as well. Not completely random, but easy enough to do.

Easiest way to take the other user out of the equation would be to attach a rule off her user code for vacation and change how she arms (code instead of quick exit).

Back