Russound Sphere RNET Multiroom System

Sacedog

I visited Russound's website today to download an instruction manual, and saw that they are adding a new RNET system to their linup. They are dubbing it the E-Series, and is set up for 8 zones and 12 sources, has a modular port for optional sources (AM/FM, Sat Radio), has build in whole house paging, doorbell and remote latch control, and has built in Ethernet (with web server configuration), RS-232, and USB ports. It also supports up to 8 A-Bus subzones.

acae5.jpg

The best part is their new keypad, with a built in click-wheel, similar to the iPod:

klke5.jpg

Maybe Paul can shed some light on how Russound will be marketing this. Will this replace the CAV?

The "Sphere" products aren't meant to replace the current CAV/CAM products which will likely remain in the line-up for a couple more years.

These new Sphere products will be aimed more at the higher-end market and only available through specially trained, authorized & licensed dealers. The intention is that these produts (initially the E-Series you posted about) will not be available on-line so won't be widely discounted. Installing the systems will also require software that will only be provided to dealers once they meet the requirements and attend training.

This is good for guys like me who do this for a living, but means this products won't be easily available to the DIY crowd like the current CAV/CAM. Even if the end up for sale on the web, the "dealer only" software will be required to install and configure.

I've posted some other info at AVS if anyone is interested:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=918108

Cheers,
Paul

Anyone happen to know the price of the components? I recognize that dealers will mark it up, but I am wondering what the component cost it. Authorized dealers probably can't say, but anyone that knows the details and has not signed an agreement with russound please chime in!

I saw some numbers online today - I'll look for them again. Was on work PC.

Edit - I can only find MSRP, from press releases.

Russound: "Both the ACA-E5 and the KLK-E5 will ship in Q4 2007, at $5650.00 and $599.00 MAP, respectively."

Dated, yes. I bet they haven't sold one in a month or 2.

I'm tempted to become a pro installer, to get access to additional stuff. And distributor pricing.

When one applies for an account at a local distributor, what do they look for? Is there a law of some sort that you have to be a professional to get good pricing?

I'll hang up a sign in front of my house, run some local ads. Maybe I can practice in other peoples' houses, in prep for mine. :)

Neurorad,

I did almost the same thing. I have a very, very part time business doing simple wiring/HT setup that happens on the weekends. Every year I have alittle bit of income from the side business that has to be reported, but it allows me to 1) get distributor pricing, 2) do something I enjoy, 3) gain tax benefits for tools that can be reused at home. The distributor accounts I have seen usually have two levels, one is just credit/cash account with dealer access/pricing, and the other is Net something, 15, 30, etc which is a bit harder to get.

I'm sure the real Pros (which I don't certainly don't consider myself) would have a better idea of what say Russound or the like require for the dealers.

--Jamie

Getting access to distribution and dealer costs for the regular line is one thing but Sphere requires another whole step and you have to pay for certification to even be able to sell it let alone other requirements levied by Russound.

I kind of wish the pro installer pricing model was different. When I install a setup I make it clear up front that my hardware markup is limited(say 20%) over my cost, and the rest of the bid is for my services. At the end of the job I leave all receipts in case the customer needs warranty repair in the future and cannot get in contact with me since I don't do this full time. The secrecy and exclusivity of dealer pricing is to prevent customers from price shopping components. If only there was a more honest business model where installers charge for their expertise instead of hiding profits behind hardware. Plumbers usually charge more than 100/hour, why not installers?

Sphere integrator and installer certification costs $400. The guys at remotecentral generally don't like this additional fee, but they don't realize it's done a lot to protect the line from internet resellers. Installation/sales control is back at Russound HQ, rather than in the hands of the integrators.

Of course, they could still do the same setup without the fee. I don't think they're limiting the number of certified techs either - 3 in my area.

ASI - you could tell me the requirements to obtain distributor pricing, for Worthington. Just fill out an application? What's the downside to ASI/Worthington?

Which party cares about hardware being kept away from internet discounters?

1) Russound determines the factory price, so they don't lose anything
2) Installers can usually get it direct from distributor or manufacturer at comparable price to discounters so they don't lose.
3) Customers get it cheaper either through DIY or through trickle-down effects.

As I see it the only losers here are the "authorized distributors" who now have competition and the dishonest installers who charge for ridiculous hardware markups(without calling them 100%+ markups) when the true charge is really for their labor. In the end the customer wins, the factory sells more product, and the dishonest installers are washed out.

But in reality, dealers will stop selling a product if they are questioned by every client about the "price I found on the internet." So that dealer will stop buying those products and only buy products that are "dealer only pricing" and unavailable on the internet. If you are a manufacture and don't provide a product like that, then you do loose sales.

That is just the way it works. It doesn't make it right, but the manufacture cannot audit every dealer's practices. So the best way to prevent them from loosing sales is to provide a dealer only product.

Which party cares about hardware being kept away from internet discounters?

1) Russound determines the factory price, so they don't lose anything
2) Installers can usually get it direct from distributor or manufacturer at comparable price to discounters so they don't lose.
3) Customers get it cheaper either through DIY or through trickle-down effects.

As I see it the only losers here are the "authorized distributors" who now have competition and the dishonest installers who charge for ridiculous hardware markups(without calling them 100%+ markups) when the true charge is really for their labor. In the end the customer wins, the factory sells more product, and the dishonest installers are washed out.

I agree with that..........

But in reality, dealers will stop selling a product if they are questioned by every client about the "price I found on the internet." So that dealer will stop buying those products and only buy products that are "dealer only pricing" and unavailable on the internet. If you are a manufacture and don't provide a product like that, then you do loose sales.

That is just the way it works. It doesn't make it right, but the manufacture cannot audit every dealer's practices. So the best way to prevent them from loosing sales is to provide a dealer only product.

I'm cool with exclusivity of the hardware. What bothers me is the locking/restriction of the software. Very few customers that hire a pro integrator will want to configure the system themselves, but for those that do, it seems abusive. I couldn't imagine paying someone 200 dollars to change the name of a zone from "Office" to "Baby's Room", etc. I don't see how letting determined customers find the configuration software and use it would hurt installers at all. But I do see how it could make the hardware exclusivity part harder to enforce.

Back