Sample UPStart File

Event5

Here is a working example of a 90 unit UPB installation. The network ID, password, and names have been changed. Open it in UPStart and explore.... Look at the devices, and links and how they are programmed.
This home has no central controller, just SAUS240 dimmer/controllers around the house for local and global control. You will see scheduled events, that are linked to a PCS timer module as part of the system. The system also has a PCS controller(6 button touchpad) with IR input that is in the Entertainment area and accessed by a RF to IR Remote to control light scenes in the room and global.
Enjoy,

NOTE: I am having trouble attaching the file so that it can be downloaded properly. SEE BELOW>>>
Sorry
Dave

Ok I am trying again....

It's working now, When I right click on the link and select "save target as" Then I change the file to .upb and save as "All files" It will then save correctly and open in Upstart.
Thank you for your patience,
again I say, enjoy...

Attachments

• Copy_of_OCT_27_2006_Sample.txt
    74.3 KB · Views: 97
This is a great sample file, thanks for posting this, I am actually learning from this. Really nice setup for sure.

Wow, that is quite a setup, makes my install look like kindergarten. Great reference, thanks for sharing it.

Now that I have shared this with all of you, I have been looking at it and finding little errors and omissions. I have not been to this house for about a month. I will be back there tomorrow and I will make some changes based on what I have found.

This was the first UPB install that I did. I have been installing large PCS x10 installations for the last few years, and enjoying the scene control with PCS SceneMaster switches. I have installed over 400 PCS X10 switches over the last 5 years and find them extremely reliable. That is one reason that I chose PCS for most of this UPB install. I needed dependability as this client is 90 miles away. The jump to UPB was pretty easy with the Upstart programming. I am pleased with the results of this install and I look forward to many more UPB installs.

This client is the perfect client. A real joy to work with. They love the system. I had an interesting conversation with the clients a few days after installation. I asked them what they thought of the 3.5 sec ramp rate on some of the scenes. The husband really liked it, but the wife wanted instant response. What I was able to do with UPB was to have some of the individual switches ramp up for the husband and (in the same switch plate) provide scene buttons that the wife can push and get quick response. This worked well for both clients.

The house is around 10,000sq ft. and has only 1 coupler. The lowest signal I see is around 13. I will be adding appliance modules at distant locations on the property tomorrow so I may be adding a second coupler.

Dave

Thanks for the attachment. When I started my setup I wished to have a sample like yours to look at, but I could not find anything here. :D

I'll review it later. My setup is so simple, I'm sure I'll lear a lot with this.

Event5 said:
Here is a working example of a 90 unit UPB installation. The network ID, password, and names have been changed. Open it in UPStart and explore.... Look at the devices, and links and how they are programmed.
This home has no central controller, just SAUS240 dimmer/controllers around the house for local and global control. You will see scheduled events, that are linked to a PCS timer module as part of the system. The system also has a PCS controller(6 button touchpad) with IR input that is in the Entertainment area and accessed by a RF to IR Remote to control light scenes in the room and global.
Enjoy,

NOTE: I am having trouble attaching the file so that it can be downloaded properly.
Sorry
Dave
Dave,

Thank-you very much for posting. How would this be different if Homeseer with plug-in was installed?

Pete

Pete,

A whole world of possibilities would open up. I have Homeseer and the plug-in at home but I do not have any automation in my small apartment. Only a test bench. I live my dreams and ideas in my clients homes. Originally I was looking at Homeseer for this house. So far I can't sell it because I do not have the experience and confidence that it would run trouble free. In this house I don't want to give them something that needs tweaking. I also have no experience with writing or using scripts. So I create the effects I need with the existing UPB devices.

It would be nice in this house to add touch screens for feed back with graphics and all the other interfaces available. (There are two logical locations already wired and ready to go.) Internet monitoring, integration with the skylights and window shades but they almost never changes the position of these items. The house is so well insolated that they almost never turn on the heat or Air.

At this time this client does not want central control and I have spent a lot of time with them and they have very little use for it with their lifestyle. Most of the time they use the local scenes for the areas they are using.

I made some changes this week and replaced all the timers viewable in UPStart(PCS TIM). I will be posting an update in the near future. I also incorporated the new SA timer/controller. Most of the timers are designed to turn off loads that might be left on(sweeps). I have a conditional timer that reports the sunrise and sunset and several modules operate only when it is night time. Per their lifestyle, there is actually only 1 timer that turns on lights for them on a daily bases. That is the garden lights.

For the last 2 months they have had someone working on their low voltage garden lights. There were over 75 fixtures not working for various reasons. If you can believe it there are 25 fixtures just on the waterfalls by the pool and only 3 worked. Now that the waterfall lighting is working I added 3 more Appliance modules for that area.

There are so many outside lights, and now that most are now working, they have reported that their electrical bill shot up last month. I woke up this am thinking of a way to use a UMI as a conditional controller that will turn on some of the outside lights only when both the Party link and the Garden on link are on together. Something that homeseer or another controller could do if it were incorporated.

Dave

I'm wondering if I've missed something simple here. When attempting to download I get a bunch of nonsense. Tried it straight as well as "save target as..."

AnthonyZ.
Did you change the Save as type to "All Files" as well as change the suffex to .upb

Send me a message with your email address and I will send you the file

Dave

Event5 said:
Ok I am trying again....

It's working now, When I right click on the link and select "save target as" Then I change the file to .upb and save as "All files type" It will then save correctly and open in Upstart.
Thank you for your patience,
again I say, enjoy...
Tell me that this a sample file and not a real setup. I setup one lamp at ramp rate 3.3 sec and the other at 1.6 sec and thought that was cool. All I can say is that I am humbled.

Now...feedback time. Based on your experince should I get the slave switches for the 3 way stuff or should I use regular switches. Does anyone of you ever feel that instead of getting the slave switch you should have gotten the regular one.

My main considerations is the cost.

regards,

noshali,

I am seriously considering using two regular switches for a three way switch application.

I think you only need a HOT and neutral for the one regular switch used as a slave but need someone more experienced to confirm. Or... can you gain anything by connected the brown/white wires (US2-40) together between the two switches.

Back