OP2 & UPStart UPB Network Address Value

Thanks StarTrekDoors & Pete.  Here's the latest effort to resolve my challenge.

1) I called Leviton tech support to see how I can change via PCAccess my UPB Network Address from current value of 255 to something that UPStart will recognize (value 1-250).   (Remember UPStart will only recognize UPB Network Addresses form 1-250)

2) Learned that if I change the Network Address ID value in PCA then I need to reconfigure each and every HLC UPB unit manually by putting it in programming mode (5 quick pushes of each switch) then "Configure" it by using the Console and scrolling thru each unit screen.  
--Obviously this is an option, but I have over 100 UPB units and want to avoid this if possible.  
--Also does this change any of my automation programming that involve these newly addressed units?

In my next post, I'll try post my screen shots from UPStart.

Thanks for your help.

<p>Here are my screen shots when trying to add the Simply Automated I/O devices:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>When I put the SA i/O device in programming mode, UPStart finds it as show in the log, then gives the following error message.&nbsp;</p>

Attachments

• UPStart Log.PNG
    UPStart Log.PNG
    190.2 KB · Views: 7
--Obviously this is an option, but I have over 100 UPB units and want to avoid this if possible.

You can do all of them at once with Upstart no need to do this with PCA / Omnitouch consoles.

Then just change the one address for all of the UPB switches in the set up for all of the UPB switches in the PCA configuration.

It doesn't have anything to do with the programming that you have configured in PCA as that is related to only the Links and Unit numbers which will remain the same.

From a historical prospective with another user that I helped it seemed to me that Leviton only knew how to use PCA / OP2 programming but really did not have much of a clue relating to using Upstart (about 4 years ago).

I created a spreadsheet with all of their switches description and IDs and links (they had around 200 HAI switches). The spreadsheet had the HAI and Upstart changes in it. Doing this on paper helped them reconfigure all of the switches in small groups. They wanted to self support their setup and I told them the only way to do this was to learn Upstart and PCA and document their stuff. I did spend time doing the spreadsheet and did charge them for the time involved. Then it stopped as other priorities (another house) got more important. Their are others too on the forum that can do this for you off site. They will need PCA access and Upstart access to your stuff and it is easier maybe for whoever to use Teamview. I configured Teamviewer on an Oracle XP build on a MAC laptop to do this remotely and show them what I was doing.

Upstart is much easier to program.  Only thing is that you are using HLC with your HAI UPB switches and historically you cannot program non HLC UPB switches with PCA.  BUT you can program a non HLC switch (like SA) with Upstart to act like an HLC switch if that makes any sense.

Here originally went with HAI, PCS and SA switches and went to UPB mode on my OP2 panel and only programmed the switches with Upstart even though I could program HAI switches with PCA and or OP2 consoles (keypad and Omnitouch screens).  Then over time went to pure SA UPB switches cuz I went to using a few multipaddle and dual load switches here.

So now all you have to do is:

1 - create a configuration of all of your switches in Upstart.  The only changes you want to make are the security-address but not the unit number or any links.
2 - Save this in Upstart before you upload it to all of the switches
3 - upload this configuration to all of the switches with Upstart.  Thinking that you can do this without putting the switches in programming mode.
Try it with one switch first.  Leave the OP2 UPB PIM alone here and use an aux UPB PIM connected to your laptop or something.

I would also consider switching over to UPB mode on the OP2 panel rather than HAI HLC mode maybe.  If you do this you will not be able to program the switches with PCA or Omn consoles and only with Upstart.  That is me.

pete_c said:
Upstart is much easier to program.  Only thing is that you are using HLC with your HAI UPB switches and historically you cannot program non HLC UPB switches with PCA.  BUT you can program a non HLC switch (like SA) with Upstart to act like an HLC switch if that makes any sense.

I would also consider switching over to UPB mode on the OP2 panel rather than HAI HLC mode maybe.  If you do this you will not be able to program the switches with PCA or Omn consoles and only with Upstart.  That is me.
Pete, why would you suggest he consider using UPB mode?  He would lose all the built in status tracking abilities.  Like you mentioned earlier - you can use Upstart to program a switch to act like HLC (pre-allocated unit and scene ID's).  I would highly suggest keeping HLC mode.

Understood John and it is only one SA switch that he has added to his HAI HLC switches.

Revisiting what Geoff wants to do and it does look like he may need to revisit each switch with PCA reprogramming just the network address ID which will be a PITA because of that network address ID of 255 versus using one from 1-250.

It would be easier to scan the UPB network with Upstart and change the network address ID on all the switches at once but not sure now if this can be done.

The CT users configuration I mentioned above was easy because it was all HAI HLC switches such that I left it that way and just did a scan of the network and save of the network with Upstart.

What do you think John about Geoff's issues here and what do you suggest to fix it?

Hi JonW,
Thanks for your response.  I agree that would like to keep the HLC status tracking features.  Do you have any suggestions on how I can incorporate two SA I/O devices as garage door openers into my current UPB HLC set up?
Thanks for your help!
Geoff

Create a new room in PCAccess and add in the devices in PCAccess.
Make sure you use the appropriate UPB ID scheme for rooms (as allocated by room).

Manually program the Simply Automated devices in UpStart.
Add the 6 standard links to the devices.

It takes a bit of manual programming to keep the devices (programmed in UpStart) and the Omni programmed in PC Access synced.
But once done, they operate seamlessly.

There are several pdfs on the HAI/Leviton Omni KB regarding using non HLC UPB devices in an HLC environment.

The Link and UPB ID schemes are fixed in HLC.
However, through UpStart, you can tailor the behavior of the 6 links by device.
So even though the default Link behaviors are ON, 80, 60, 40, 20, OFF - you can make the devices do anything you want when those links are sent.

The Omni will send a status request to all the devices in the &quot;room&quot; when one of those links is transmitted, so the ACTUAL status of the device will be accurately updated.

Example if you transmit Link A - default 80% dimming, but program the device to dim to 15%, the Omni will show status of 15% after the status update takes place.
For on/off devices, and the I/O, you can use the links to turn individual channels on and off.
for example Link A and B turn a channel of the first I/O on and off, and links C and D turn a channel of the second I/O on and off.

HLC can be customized to an extent.
I've done this extensively.

For instance, all of my 4 bathroom fans are in one "Room" called "Fans"
The four room links turn the fans on and off independently, the all on all off turn them all on and off.

Back