Saving Energy with Lighting Control

phillx

I would like to raise some issues and get some answers to this very very confusing area. More and more consumers want to save power by changing to energy saving lights. This is never really an issue until you start to automate their lights.

Which Lighting system sand lighting methods will give you the best results. Some issues I have run into over the years.

1. Which brands CFLs and LEDs that really dim properly. And I meanlike an incandecant globe with a steady ramp up rate and without flickering.
Every product we have run across greatly overstates their performance and capabilities and all under deliver when used with automated lighting systems.

2. Which brands have the best ambient qualities. I have seen homes with these lights throughout but they were very white and bright and not as nice as a traditional incandencent lights.

3. And this one is the fun one, what type of automated lighting systems are the most energy efficient and use the least power. It is all very well buying low energy lights but if your automated lighting system is running in the background, it is also consuming power, and how much? When consumers talk about saving energy they forget about devices that need to run in standby mode or need to be on all the time to control devices.

For example we have tested lighting modules that the manufacture claims that use no power when not in use (standby/monitoring) and yet do! Alot of lighting manufacturers are big at claiming they save energy, but make no mention off the amount of power they use to run their system.

Anything I have forgotten?

There is really only one type of bulb that can dim "properly." They are cold-cathode compact fluorescent lamps. Put "cold cathode fluorescent" in Google, and you'll find them. Most other will only dim down to about 30% and then flick-off.

I have almost all dimmers (Lutron) in my house. I don't like the light output of CFL. So as I have been replacing lights as they burn out, I have been using the Philips Energy Savers. They are about 30% more efficient than regular bulbs, but the light output is very similar. Adding to that, 95% of my lights only come on to 85%, I am getting a 45% savings. Not CFL savings, but a good chunk.

Back